Menu

Science Fusion?

Could anyone using this for the upper levels (Gr 6-8) let me know what you think of this curriculum? I found a link to the online content for Grade 5 and my son has been enjoying it. Is there a text (other than online) for the upper grades? Is it meaty enough in your opinion? I am considering using either this or Holt for my son (grade 6) next year.

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Oh I really hope HSBC does offer it soon. Do you have a link to the webpage which gave hints that it may be coming? I was on their site but couldn't see it in the coming soon list.

It was in the email newsletter I received today

ON THE HORIZON:

- HISTORY Education - Save 40% on new Classroom Literature DVDs

- ScienceFusion Homeschool - Save up to 30-40%

I recently purchased one module of the earth science year to use with my dc - 4th and 6th right now. We aren't satisfied with what we are using right now, so I was planning to switch to fusion and finish up through the summer.

We use Macs, and the biggest disappointment for me was that, even though the program is Mac compatible, some of the components aren't going to work for us. The exam bank and some other teacher resources are only useable up through Leopard. We are all using Lion. I admit I should have checked this, but since it was Mac compatible I thought that meant up-to-date ones. At least I only bought one module to check it out.

We are able to use the online student portion of the program, and I think my dc will enjoy that. The printed worktext that it comes with is printed on newsprint type paper, but seems fine for content. Another thing is that you can only get one book with the program. Since it's a worktext, that's a problem if you want to use with more than one child.

I can't give an honest picture of the whole program since parts of it won't work for us. I really liked the look of it and was hoping to find a new middle school science.:glare:

We are using Aha!Science since I couldn't find enough info on SF to justify the purchase. We use other science resources. Aha!Science is a fun add-on.

My dds LOVE the lessons. For $15/year, you can't go wrong. They have watched many of the 400 videos on their own time -- and have taken the quizes.

You don't need a book. It's all on the video lessons.

I do have SF on my radar for next year.

The Homeschool Buyer's Co-op buy for this is now available, at a 40% discount if they get enough orders (currently at 25% discount), K-8 levels available. The buy expires May 2, but you can get a license start date for using this for the year beginning in May, June, July or August, and it does come with the printed worktext. The elementary levels are a full year's worth of curriculum, the middle school still in modules so you have to buy however many you want to cover the year (they suggest 3 or 4).

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1703&c=1

This is really tempting me. I have a few questions:

For the middle school levels are their printed materials or do you have to download?

Is this something that needs to be supplemented heavily?

ETA: Can the modules be done out of order? I'm thinking I would do module K over the summer than move to module B in the Fall.

Edited by HootyTooty

Here is a page from the publisher.

http://holtmcdougal.hmhco.com/hm/series.htm?level2Code=MSIB10011&level3Code=6_MS

If anyone can figure out all the options, let me know!

(As you can see from siggy, ds uses the textbooks at his ps, and I love them.)

ETA This is better -- for those shoppers who like to compare

http://www.mcdougallittell.com/store/ProductCatalogController?cmd=Browse&subcmd=LoadDetail&imprint=sh&ID=1007500000080012&frontOrBack=F&division=M01&sortProductsBy=SEQ_TITLE&sortEntriesBy=SEQ_NAME#order

Edited by Alessandra

This is really tempting me. I have a few questions:

For the middle school levels are their printed materials or do you have to download?

Is this something that needs to be supplemented heavily?

ETA: Can the modules be done out of order? I'm thinking I would do module K over the summer than move to module B in the Fall.

I think the best bet is to look at the HSBC link and go to all the links they give to learn more about exactly what they are offering. My understanding (for what it's worth ;)) is that each module is ordered independently for middle school. So, you could do one module from life sciences, one from earth sciences and one from physical sciences to make a year, or do all three from earth/space sciences instead. Since you buy them independently, I wouldn't expect there would be any issue with using them in the order you desired.

As I read it, each module comes with a magazine-like consumable worktext for the student. The pacing guide link under each individual module says the following about teacher materials (some of which probably have to be printed out if you want to use them, I think):

* A pdf of the Teacher’s Edition can be accessed through the Online Teacher Digital Management System at the Lesson Level.

TE: Lesson Level Resources > Lesson Teacher Support > Teacher Edition

† Lab Manuals can be accessed through the Online Teacher Digital Management System at the Lesson Level.

Lab Manuals: Lesson Level Resources > Lesson Inquiry Resources > Lab Manuals

† Lab Datasheets can be accessed through the online Student Edition at the lesson level.

Lab Datasheets: Lesson Level Resources > Lab Datasheet

Online Assessments can be assigned to students through the Online Teacher Digital Management System. After you have assigned a Lesson Quiz or Unit Test, the assignment will appear on your student’s account in the Things to Do section. Students can then take the test online, and it will be scored automatically.

Lesson Quiz = Lesson Level Resources > Lesson Assessment > Lesson Quiz

Unit Test = Unit Level Resources > Unit Assessment > Unit Test

Do take a look at the computer specs needed. From what I can tell, the iPad/iphone/Android/Windows mobile devices (basically smartphones or tablets) are not going to work well with this, which may be a big deal to some folks. It does look like laptops (either PC or Mac) should be fine.

http://techsupport.hmhpub.com/faq_list.asp?id=1294821151

All of this is important to understand before you place an order because you usually can't get a refund once you place an order through HSBC, since their prices are based on volume discounts.

Edited by KarenNC

I have been reading, the navigation on the product site is not very enlightening, but I'm a picky shopper. ;)

I've been reading past threads from here and other boards and I think I have managed to answer some of my questions.

Would you be willing to share?

Do take a look at the computer specs needed. From what I can tell, the iPad/iphone/Android/Windows mobile devices (basically smartphones or tablets) are not going to work well with this, which may be a big deal to some folks. It does look like laptops (either PC or Mac) should be fine.

http://techsupport.hmhpub.com/faq_list.asp?id=1294821151

All of this is important to understand before you place an order because you usually can't get a refund once you place an order through HSBC, since their prices are based on volume discounts.

:iagree: I posted this on another related thread, but I'll add it here. If you have a Mac and are running Lion, then many of the features will not work even on a laptop/desktop. I bought one module to try it out, and many of the teacher materials and labs don't work. The ebook student edition and online student lessons do work.

ETA: This is specified in their tech requirements. I just missed it in my excitement to try the program out!

Edited by Laura in STL
Clarification