Menu

Apps for toddlers/preschoolers:ideas thread

warriormom

Ok, today I started using the "Talking Ben" app where he parrots the reader to have Ben review with my daughter some of our lessons for OPGTR. She loved it. This might work for a 2 to 4 year old.

Also, I must say I :001_wub:the app called "The ABC's of God". Handwriting practice, differentiating letters on upper and lower case, finding letters within a text, reading Bible verses with your kiddo, learning what "God is.." with a word for every letter of the alphabet....I LOVE it! I just had to share.

Please share your favorite apps for toddlers and preschoolers and any creative use of apps!!!:bigear:

My favorite for little kids is Toddler Teasers. It's very simple: the voice says "Find the square" and then there are three shapes on the screen. If the child picks the right one, they get a "hooray!" and if they don't just a "try again." Then every few questions they get to pick a "sticker" and put it on a page. It's simple enough that a young toddler can get it, and it taught DS all his shapes, colors, letters, and numbers.

The Starfall one is really great, and all 3 of my kids love it.

My kids also love Tozzle, which is a little puzzle app: you drag a picture to the right spot. There are some very easy ones, and some pretty complicated ones.

Drawing Pad is really great for slightly older kids.

Scout's ABC is very nicely done, but I'm dubious about educational content: the educational part is kind of complicated and my kids never really get there.

The Montessori Crosswords one is also really nice and my oldest loves it.

My 4 year old's favorites so far (our iPad is still new) are:

Pocket Phonics - And might I add that he sounded out a couple 2-letter words to me yesterday? I think this app may have been instrumental in understanding the concept! I sure didn't teach him. :)

Rocket Math - The math is much too old for him, but he doesn't care. As long as someone else earns him rocket-building money, he's good to go. He loves to build crazy rockets, shoot them into the air, and randomly select answers, oblivious to the fact that he's getting them all wrong. Did I mention it SHOOT ROCKETS?? :) All the kids love this one!

He likes the shapes on mentioned by momma2three. And the Preschool University app are simple and good (and free).

There are other apps I like (many of them I found by searching here), but these are the ones my youngest likes best.

LOL, pardon me, he's informed me that he also likes Art of Glow and Puppet Pals. I forgot about those!

• 2 months later...
Guest Maddmelon

I recently found this new and free educational app in the appstore called Maddie and Matt, which teaches kids the best social graces and to learn good manners. It just recently came out and I think it's a nice way for your kids to try and learn good, moral values.