Menu

He behaved like a perfect angel...

today at his first neuropsych eval. Apparently, he was polite, stayed on task, listened and had a great time.

So why am I not so happy about this? I had told them during the intake questions all about how he doesn't stay on task, is easily distracted, gets frustrated, doesn't listen the first time ever, and he gets violent with me and his little brother.

I feel like they are going to think I'm an exaggerating helicopter mom.

Anyone else here have this happen?

It's the neurological correlary to Murphy's law-bad days NEVER happen when you (or your child) are being assessed. I've had it happen multiple times to me-I've had days or weeks when things just weren't right, and suddenly, the day of the appointment, the symptom chose that time to vanish, only to usually appear the very next day. I also have seen it with DD-I swear she's more social and reciprocal when she's being observed/assessed than ANY other time.

So, don't feel bad-if you're a helicopter parent, so am I-not to mention a hypochondriac!

Yes. Ds was 1 point away from being ADD. Do you know how GOOD he was behaving?? He was behaving like, well, a perfect little angel! I would have said he was hundreds of points away from being ADD with how I saw him act. There is no question in my mind my son is ADD because if what they saw is 1 point away then he must be VERY VERY VERY ADD. :glare:

Murphy's Law really hit us too.

It's the neurological correlary to Murphy's law-bad days NEVER happen when you (or your child) are being assessed. I've had it happen multiple times to me-I've had days or weeks when things just weren't right, and suddenly, the day of the appointment, the symptom chose that time to vanish, only to usually appear the very next day. I also have seen it with DD-I swear she's more social and reciprocal when she's being observed/assessed than ANY other time.

So, don't feel bad-if you're a helicopter parent, so am I-not to mention a hypochondriac!

Yes!! I'm so annoyed because it took so long to get the appointment and we are paying out of pocket. The last thing I want is for it all to be a waste of time and money because the stars aligned for ds today!:tongue_smilie:

Crap, can't scroll down this post on the iPad. Will have to start another post

I believe the 2nd day of the testing was more difficult for my son. How many more tests do they need or are they done?

Yes. Ds was 1 point away from being ADD. Do you know how GOOD he was behaving?? He was behaving like, well, a perfect little angel! I would have said he was hundreds of points away from being ADD with how I saw him act. There is no question in my mind my son is ADD because if what they saw is 1 point away then he must be VERY VERY VERY ADD. :glare:

Murphy's Law really hit us too.

Yup! To the point of being flat out told me ds is normal, and yet he is so so not. But during testing he is very quiet and meek etc. In reality he is shy and has anxiety issues that play a part in that. What they don't see is what happens when we leave the appt. Like last time ds saw the therapist, he suggested closing ds's file because he was normal yada yada. I was jsut starting to back up my car when ds punched me in the face because I would not let him change the radio station. Yeah real normal kid there.

Ugh, it is frustrating right? I've had to physically hold ds7 down so that he would stop hitting, kicking, and punching me (although it didn't stop him from spitting). NOT normal. Yes, he can have moments of such sweetness and his smile can melt your heart, but...

Well, I had a meeting with his teacher this morning. She has finally started seeing some of his not so great attributes and is filling out the forms the neuropysch sent. Hopefully, they will be somewhat aligned with my parent form so I don't seem like nutcase.

I tried this last year with a developmental ped, but since I was homeschooling him then and didn't have any teacher forms filled out he refused to give a diagnoses strictly on the parent form. That felt like a kick in the gut.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent and for your commiseration!