Menu

A fun grammar program? writing program?

lillehei

We have been through the wringer with grammar and writing. I have a 9 yo ds and 11 yo dd who were pulled out of public school a couple of years ago. We have tried:

Sonlight LA

IEW TWSS/SWI A

Easy Grammar

Shurley English

We are doing Shurley English 3 with both kids right now and neither of them are really "getting it" The jingles are annoying, the Question and Answer flows don't always make sense and the Teacher's Manual is scripted terribly. I think we are all confused! We haven't liked any of the other ones we tried either.

Is it just that grammar and writing aren't supposed to be fun? We watched SchoolHouse Rocks DVDs and that was entertaining a couple of years ago but now they think it is babyish. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want writing and grammar to be the plague of our existence.

Thank in advance for any advice!

Jen

This is on sale for $1.00 for another 2 days. Composing a sentence a day covers composition and grammar in just 15 minutes. Long term goals are another story, but for the next few weeks, this is a great option while you do your research. It's an AWESOME starting place for most students.

Depending on the kids ages, I really like Killgallon. They have Sentence Composing and Story Grammar. I like that they learn in context. But for us we needed a workbook, get her done foundation with GWG, before we got to the fun of grammar.

We've been through several grammar programs as well and we found Michael Clay Thompson's Grammar Town, Grammar Voyage, etc to be the best. We read the page and I write a sentence and then have them write sentences using the new skills we learned. I have seen the most improvement with this program and none of us tires of it!

MCT. It is the best program I've seen for giving an excellent big picture understanding of grammar. It also tends to make folks feel warm and fuzzy about grammer--I know it did the trick in our house.

MCT is not a complete program, but I've found that it works well to alternate it with a more detail oriented program.

MCT. It is the best program I've seen for giving an excellent big picture understanding of grammar. It also tends to make folks feel warm and fuzzy about grammer--I know it did the trick in our house.

MCT is not a complete program, but I've found that it works well to alternate it with a more detail oriented program.

What detail oriented program do you alternate MTC with?