Menu

The Well Educated Mind

Has anyone done the book? I've just started reading the book and am considering the reading lists. Has anyone read through all the books? How long did it take? Did it help for any part of your homeschooling life?

With any reading list, it will take substantial time. I have not yet started. I really wanted to find a "reading buddy" so we could keep each out accountable. I would say plan on spending five years at least, depending on how much time you can spend on reading and writing in a given week.

In the beginning though, I would not get too hung up. The first book you will read is Don Quixote, which is (from all accounts) a beast of a book to get through. I would worry about one book at a time, then move onto the next one.

I have read a lot of reviews on that particular book-list, and many others, and would like to read as many of these classics as I can for my own personal knowledge. I wouldn't say it would directly help me educate my children, but I think it will help me indirectly.

I'm also doing it because my DH is a philosopher and he always brings up topics I have no understanding of... aaand we're going to do a self-study logic course. He's going to teach me the first part (that he did) and then we'll continue together. :lol:

I will subscribe to this thread and see what else comes of this thread! :bigear:

I haven't read most of the books on this list. I have a master literature list in a spreadsheet that is classics, children's classics, and books on the AP test for English lists, plus some stuff that I have come across since creating it. I am slowly working my way through the books that I have heard of on that list and trying to do a sampling of lots of different authors. I am not rereading stuff that I have read in the past.

I did find it interesting that many of the books on the WEM list are not on my list and that boogles my mind. I might have to go in and add more to my master list.:tongue_smilie:

(Gently) :lol:

Oh, there's probably SOMEbody out there...

Dunno, I heard rumours that even Susan didn't make it through Moby Dick.

I'll bet it will be beneficial to my future homeschooling adventures, but I'm pretty sure it is designed to take the rest of our natural lives.

I started with the autobiographies because the first on the list was available at the library and none of the other first books were. As it happens, I hate biographies. I knew before I started I hated biographies, but I'm doing my best nonetheless. :lol: I discovered a coincidental reading buddy on the Book a Week thread, and we're both trying to psych ourselves up for Descartes and as far as I know, neither of us has started yet. In my defense (coz I really need to justify myself,) I've been a bit side tracked by the Shakespeare study group this year. Some of the ladies are studying the plays, but I'm hanging about learning to enjoy them.

Anyway, every bit counts, I rekon. :)

Rosie

Rosie

Rosie, I know you are right, I remember her saying that....either the book propels you on and you do it, or to quote Snoop Dogg, "Drop it like it's hot.."

She gives blanket permission to do so in the book also, that is, if there's not a connection, just let it go, move onto the next one..

I do have it and think it is a great resource. But, I have been stuck on Don Quixote for about 4 years and never went beyond that. Now that I think about it, I should just skip it and move on. There is just something about me that likes to check-off every box. I guess I can always go back to the books that are more difficult and finish them later.

Dunno, I heard rumours that even Susan didn't make it through Moby Dick.

I'll bet it will be beneficial to my future homeschooling adventures, but I'm pretty sure it is designed to take the rest of our natural lives.

I started with the autobiographies because the first on the list was available at the library and none of the other first books were. As it happens, I hate biographies. I knew before I started I hated biographies, but I'm doing my best nonetheless. :lol: I discovered a coincidental reading buddy on the Book a Week thread, and we're both trying to psych ourselves up for Descartes and as far as I know, neither of us has started yet. In my defense (coz I really need to justify myself,) I've been a bit side tracked by the Shakespeare study group this year. Some of the ladies are studying the plays, but I'm hanging about learning to enjoy them.

Anyway, every bit counts, I rekon. :)

Rosie

Rosie

moby is the ONLY book in high school or college i did not finish!!!!;)

I'm about halfway through the novel list (on Anna Karenina) and have hen-pecked around the other lists reading books here and there. I absolutely plan on finishing all the lists but there are a LOT of books I want to read that I grab in between. I have to have a C.S. Lewis fix every now and then, I got on an Erasmus kick, Pete Enns distracted me with his new book, I had to read Ahab's Wife after I finished Moby Dick, etc. I keep reminding myself that if I didn't get on so many sidetracks that I'd have finished by now. Lol! I want to finish it mainly because I also want to read Mortimer Adler's list before I go blind from old age. :lol:

At the risk of sounding like a total loon, Descartes was actually a pretty interesting guy! Some of his ideas were sort of "out there" though, so that may explain why I like him.;)

Probably. She told me to toss out St Teresa unless I wanted it as an insomnia cure, so that probably means she's read it.

:D

Rosie

I think I may have read this one...:blush: It's been a few years. Was it originally in Spanish? I didn't think it was too bad! I'm Catholic, though, so maybe that helped?!?:lol:

I've been thinking about getting the book for a while, and this thread just gave me the impetus to go for it. I doubt I'll make it entirely through the list, but whatever I do will be enriching. I've learned so much by hs'ing during the past number of years, but this is just for me. You see, I'm a second time around parent (by adopting my granddaughter and raising yet another child after the nest was empty). I have the sudden realization that doggone it, I want to keep growing and learning for myself. And heck, if I can get down the list even a ways, I just figure I'll make a much more interesting old lady.

(That is up the road a ways...I'm not an old lady yet. :D)

Blessings,

Lucinda

At the risk of sounding like a total loon, Descartes was actually a pretty interesting guy!
Spiffy. Now tell me he's less painful than de Montaigne. I couldn't focus on what he said because he waffled so much my brain kept saying "Your brother was this guy in a past life" over and over.
It's been a few years. Was it originally in Spanish? I didn't think it was too bad! I'm Catholic, though, so maybe that helped?!?
I think it would have been and I daresay being Catholic would help. I should hope so anyway! Anyway, since you are Catholic, I shan't discuss my thoughts on the rest of that reading list. :D Actually, I'd have liked St Teresa if she'd stopped at chapter three.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I've been thinking about getting the book for a while, and this thread just gave me the impetus to go for it. I doubt I'll make it entirely through the list, but whatever I do will be enriching.

Don't forget to boast about your achievements on the Book a Week thread. It's not just for people reading a book per week :) Reading about other people's fluff will help you feel virtuous about your classics, which will help your morale so you keep going. ;)

Rosie

I've literally thrown Don Quixote across the room. I've spent most of my life on a steady diet of fluff fiction and non-fiction (mostly education-related.) My brain seems to reject deep literature. That's why I minimize fluff and encourage classics for my kids!

I do keep trying to go back to WEM, but it is not going well at all!

But, I have been stuck on Don Quixote for about 4 years and never went beyond that.

I started Don Quixote in April 2010 and I'm only 100 pages in. :lol: I enjoy it but, when I sit down to read, I end up passing over it to read something else.

One of my goals for this year was to give WEM a serious effort.

I used to read classics for fun when I was a kid in school.

And then I discovered twaddle and I can't seem to stop reading it.

Sigh.

The thing about most of the books on those sorts of lists is that they're so darn depressing. I wish I could like them, but they're all about the human condition and I just don't get that sort of writing. I don't see the point about reading about all the misery that people have happen to them or create for themselves.

Maybe one day I'll mature and see things differently...until then, I can't seem to make myself read the sorts of books in TWEM. I don't like to dwell on the misery in them.

Edited by Garga

I haven't read most of the books on this list. I have a master literature list in a spreadsheet that is classics, children's classics, and books on the AP test for English lists, plus some stuff that I have come across since creating it. I am slowly working my way through the books that I have heard of on that list and trying to do a sampling of lots of different authors. I am not rereading stuff that I have read in the past.

I did find it interesting that many of the books on the WEM list are not on my list and that boogles my mind. I might have to go in and add more to my master list.:tongue_smilie:

Would you be willing to share your list?

I've literally thrown Don Quixote across the room. I've spent most of my life on a steady diet of fluff fiction and non-fiction (mostly education-related.) My brain seems to reject deep literature. That's why I minimize fluff and encourage classics for my kids!

I do keep trying to go back to WEM, but it is not going well at all!

:lol: I totally relate to this! Children's historical fiction is my fav.

I had great intentions once...

I will say that reading the front part of the book made a big difference in HOW I read books, and I enjoy reading a lot more now. That part replaced the slog through How to Read a Book (which I never did get through). It was very helpful to me because of its focus on approaching and understanding different genres in particular.

:iagree:

I appreciate what Adler had to say, but I had to read it aloud to myself!

Would you be willing to share your list?

Let me do a little formatting first. Since it doesn't look like I can post an excel file would a .txt file be usable to you all? If I remember right you can import that into a spreadsheet with a little work.

Edited by Mama Geek

• 5 months later...
Guest April_privett

I just made it through chapter 4 of WEM. I am so, so interested in finding a pal to read Don Quixote along with me and write a bit about it.

Anyone game?

I am new to all of this and all of you impress me so much. I would be honored to work with any one of you!

April

I do have it and think it is a great resource. But, I have been stuck on Don Quixote for about 4 years and never went beyond that. Now that I think about it, I should just skip it and move on. There is just something about me that likes to check-off every box. I guess I can always go back to the books that are more difficult and finish them later.

This is me! I know I should just move on, but something in me just can't do it. Or rather, I can do it but it will bother me if I do. Sometimes being a check-off every box kind of person is really annoying.

Anyways, I started the Insurmountable Don yet again last week and I'm about 10% in. This time I've promised myself if I get to 25% and still hate it that I'll move on to the next book. I'm optimistic this time, as I've actually found myself chortling occasionally when reading.

I've been working my way through the fiction list slowly and picked up several non fiction but have yet to read them. I don't read the fiction books twice and make all the notes. That's just too time consuming and takes away from my enjoyment of the book.I also am not reading them in specific order. If I did, would never read any of them. I'm more of mood reader. However, I will probably be making notes with the non fiction ones. I have a tendency to underline things as I go along, write it down later and the whole process helps me remember more.

I've made the wem part of the 52 books challenge and periodically have a readalong of one of the books. It's more fun knowing someone else is reading and learning everyone's thoughts about the story. This year I did Moby Dick and Anna Karenina.

Have fun with it. Don Quixote is funny, sad, entertaining, and just plain strange but well worth reading.

I used to read classics for fun when I was a kid in school.

And then I discovered twaddle and I can't seem to stop reading it.

Sigh.

The thing about most of the books on those sorts of lists is that they're so darn depressing. I wish I could like them, but they're all about the human condition and I just don't get that sort of writing. I don't see the point about reading about all the misery that people have happen to them or create for themselves.

Maybe one day I'll mature and see things differently...until then, I can't seem to make myself read the sorts of books in TWEM. I don't like to dwell on the misery in them.

Maybe this explains why I was completely turned off by WEM. I don't read a lot of fluff, but I've reached the point now where I just want to read what I want to read no matter if it did or didn't make a book list. I read a lot of classics, nonfiction too. But I already feel like I don't have enough say in how my time is spent. Even if I went through the WEM list and tossed the books I didn't make a connection with, I think I'd be tossing more than half. And I've lived through enough misery not to want to read it too.

Though this thread has me thinking maybe I need to take a 2nd look and see if I still feel the same way.

Guest April_privett

I've made the wem part of the 52 books challenge and periodically have a readalong of one of the books. It's more fun knowing someone else is reading and learning everyone's thoughts about the story. This year I did Moby Dick and Anna Karenina.

Where do you find a readalong?

DH went through a Well Educated Mind phase a few years back. He was really consistent and kept the journal and everything. He made it through Don Quixote and most or all of the way through The confessions. Is that second on the list? He really lost steam after that. I got probably 50 pages into Don Quixote, and I was quite liking it, but I couldn't keep it up. DH will always have the more educated mind in our family. ;)

Where do you find a readalong?

I run them on the Book a Week threads every few weeks. Come up with a book from WEM and put the challenge out there to read it with me. Folks generally jump in.

Welcome to the forums. Just realized you are new. I run the read 52 books in 52 weeks challenge and post a thread every sunday and folks all talk about the books they are reading. Fun. Come join in.