Menu

Writing question - citing sources

Hi all,

I am trying to teach my dc how to correctly cite sources in research reports. We are going to build up to a research paper (with a defendable thesis) but at this point we are starting with report writing. I have read information from the Purdue OWL, IEW, and a book I have called "Cite It Right". After reading all this information, I am walking away with the idea that everything they put in the report needs to be cited. I can't be right about that can I?

I have also read information about "common knowledge" and how that information does not need to be cited. I am also reading that unless it comes from your brain it needs to be cited. Well my dc are researching because they don't have information about the first ammendment to the Constitution in their brains. So if it's common knowledge but not in their brain do we still need to cite it? I understand that you would cite original thoughts, quotes, charts, statisitcs, etc but it is the gray areas where I am having difficulty.

How have you taught your dc to correctly cite sources for a paper?

I have been using IEW with my ds and like the way the KWO help you to create original sentences but then I worry if we should be citing those sentences as well since they are a form of paraphrasing. Sometimes I think all of this is too much for me! I finally have all of the writing process understood and can teach that and now I need to deal with avoiding plagiarism. I think wrapping my head around this is more difficult. Any helpin understanding this process is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!