Menu

WWYD...Computer repair question

I have a Dell XPS that is 4 years old. I have the accidental protection plan that expires May 1st.

I have a lemon and have had it serviced a few times, replacing key components each time.

I called Dell today and after 2 hours on the phone they agreed to replace these items at my home by a service person:

Fan

Motherboard/usb

LCD screen/webcam

Power cord

Metal tray around the key board where the hands sit

Or I can mail it in and they will fix it and send it back. He suggests this, because he says they will fix everything wrong and then send it back to me. His thinking is that there may be some unseen issues that we are not fixing. The service tech who comes out isn't supposed to diagnose problems, just install the components that were ordered on the phone.

I said I wanted it fixed in my home because a few of the issues are quirky and it is hard to get them to 'act up'. I dropped the laptop a few months ago and I think something got knocked loose. The components seem to work fine when it is level, but if the laptop is sitting uneven for very long, I start getting messages that the components are malfunctioning or my webcam will keep flashing/webcam manager opening without prompting. I was able to get the computer to have the problem while the service tech was remotely connected to my computer, so he could see the problem. My concern about sending it in via mail, is that they will not be able to get it to trigger the problem and just send it back unfixed...and then my warranty will expire.

WWYD?

If I mail it, I am trusting them to fix the problems as cited in the computer tech's (from the phone call today) notes and Not just the computers diagnostic programs. This will take about 2 weeks+.

If they repair it in my home, there could be unforeseen problems that are left unrepaired....and then my warranty can expire before I can get the problems figured out. The repair person should be here this week.

I would do the in-home service replacement. Um, I had Dell replace a screen on my laptop once (I dont' remember what type of repair it was)... buut, I recently sent my XBOX off for a warranty fix and they kept it for a week, and then sent it back. When I opened it up the box said "No issue found" .... :glare: It hasn't had the same issue so obviously it did something.

Well, if they get it back to you quickly, you'd still have 2 weeks left in your warranty. Plus, you might ask if the work they do has an additional warranty... I don't know. I know my car we have to get one valve replaced every year because it keeps busting and the dealer keeps having to replace it for free b/c it was a warranty repair and it's guaranteed for a year. :lol: It's almost time to get it checked again....

I would do the in-home service replacement. Um, I had Dell replace a screen on my laptop once (I dont' remember what type of repair it was)... buut, I recently sent my XBOX off for a warranty fix and they kept it for a week, and then sent it back. When I opened it up the box said "No issue found" .... :glare: It hasn't had the same issue so obviously it did something.

Well, if they get it back to you quickly, you'd still have 2 weeks left in your warranty. Plus, you might ask if the work they do has an additional warranty... I don't know. I know my car we have to get one valve replaced every year because it keeps busting and the dealer keeps having to replace it for free b/c it was a warranty repair and it's guaranteed for a year. :lol: It's almost time to get it checked again....

This is my biggest concern. I had a car with a quirky issue once too. The dealership repair shop had to keep it for months before they could figure it out and then they had to order the parts from the manufacturer because they are not sold in the retail market ."Those parts don't wear out" LOL

Your car issue is the same concern I have with my laptop. They can keep replacing the valve, but honestly it sounds like something else is actually causing the issue. Unless there is a stash of faulty valves around....something is making it go bad. This is the second mother board to go into this laptop in 4 years. Yes, it was dropped but the problem with the mb started before that. :banghead: Thank God I bought the accidental warrenty!