Menu

Calvert Spelling CD's, ? for those that use them

Are these used as a supplement or a complete curriculum? I have a pencil phobic boy whom I will be starting WT-1 with next year, so I know I will have some battles over "more" writing with him, and this looks intriging.

Thanks!

Bump :D

Heather

You'll just have to see how it goes for him. We've used them as a supplement, but they might be adequate for some kids. My girl just happens to benefit from more practice and isn't pencil-phobic. If you get into WT and he's doing ok with his spelling, you're fine. In the fall, just to make my life easy with the baby, I plan to let her do the calvert cd's straight, nothing else.

Three of my dc use them as their complete spelling program. I've found Calvert works for *average* spellers, on neither end of the spectrum. It would have bored my natural speller to death and it's no where near what my unnatural speller needs right now. For three of my dc, it's been a wonderful fit. My dd used to be a horrible speller but has come a long way (amazingly). After she turned the corner in spelling, she began using Calvert. Because she is a very conscientious student, it works. Another ds is a pretty good speller, very bright, but because of the speed of his work, he misspells. So, he needed some focus. Another ds is a very average speller, good student and likes the change-up of some comupter work. ;) So Calvert fit the bill there also.

As for me, it is ever so helpful to take something off my plate if I can at this point in my life.

HTH!

Lisa

Thanks for the replies. This was the information I was looking for. I will see how he does with his spelling and the additional (physical) writing and go from there. If it's just too much for him I will take OhElizabeth's advice and use it to lessen his writing load.

Thanks!