Menu

Spin-off: (Ladies only) How long has it been since your last gyn check-up/physical?

How long has it been since your last gyn check-up/physical?  

1. 1. How long has it been since your last gyn check-up/physical?

• Less than a year
    • More than 1 year, but less than 2 years
    • More than 2 years, but less than 5 years
    • More than 5 years, but less than 10 years
    • More than 10 years

I just went and got caught up on everything except ob.

Regular physical - last month (before that, I have NO idea how long it had been. But, I had been pregnant, so I sorta' counted those)

Eye exam - three months ago (before that - I was 18 - 19 years ago!!)

Dentist - I skipped three years once, and I will NEVER do that again. So, now I go every 6 months like clockwork.

Ob - I haven't been since I had my baby 2 years ago. I hate it so much!

I have a real fear of doctors too. But, it makes it easier to go once/year if I've been recently. I swear I won't let myself get this far behind ever again.

It's been18 months and counting. I went three years between them last time, and plan to do so again. I absolutely HATE going to doctors for anything. Even if it's just a check-up, then I'll get the guilty speech about not coming more regularly, and that REALLY irritates me. I'll go when I want and/or think it's necessary. I hate being made to feel like I owe it to them to come in more often. Of course, it's just about looking out for my health- riiiight.

Why does everyone hate going so much? I don't care of it either, but I just close my eyes, breath deeply and it is over in a few minutes.

Oh, It is time for my yearly, but I was there in August too since I had a check up from my ablation.....

MD - yearly; OB - yearly; Mammogram - baseline at 35 & will do next at 40; Dentist - biannually

Typically, I have a 'check up' every year, but have been seeing the doc every month for a few months now in order to monitor my anemia. I've had a baseline mammo and colonoscopy & I had an endoscopy done at the same time. I am currently seeing a chiropractor 3x per week (that frequency will begin to taper in a few weeks), and an accupuncturist and massage therapist weekly. That, too, will taper as soon as I'm feeling better about my extreme muscle spasms.

The reason I did all of the testing and regularly schedule well-checks is mainly because I'm adopted and, therefore, have no access to familial medical history. It's just something I feel that I must do. The reason I see the other people I mentioned is because I have one heckuva messed up spine and excruciating muscle spasms. Insurance covers the MD and the chiropractor. Everything else is our responsibility.

Lisa

Well, I've had the "privilege" of having two paps and a colposcopy (a good look with a microscope light thing.....fun, fun!) in the last three months! And I get to go back in September for one more pap. They can't find anything wrong but I've had two abnormal results. I think it's due to my topical steroids. I've gone off them and am looking forward to my next results. I think the steroids were causing me yeast infections, which can throw off your pap. We'll see. Anyway, I usually go every year, but due to a move, I had put this one off for over two years. It scared me to death to get the abnormal result after waiting a little longer than normal.

Why does everyone hate going so much? I don't care of it either, but I just close my eyes, breath deeply and it is over in a few minutes.

Oh, It is time for my yearly, but I was there in August too since I had a check up from my ablation.....

It's not so much that I hate to go, it's just that I have a hard time finding someone to stay with the kids. DH works 25 miles away, so he couldn't just swing by during his lunch hour. My 2 best friends went back to work full-time. And the doctor's office doesn't allow children even in the waiting room!

It's been a little over 2 years for me.

I don't hate going to the doctor or the dentist, I just don't go. I'd have to pay out of pocket, but I can't say it's a cost issue, either. The last time I did anything gyn-related was when I had a baby ~ four years ago in September. I kinda sorta have it in my mind to go to both the gyn and the dentist next year when I turn forty. Or not. As for a regular physical, I wouldn't schedule that. I suppose some day if I ever have bad teeth ~ or something much worse ~ y'all can say "We told you so!".

My midwife closed her homebirth practice and her new office is too far away. I just haven't gotten around to it with my family practice doc. He's great, but I just don't want to go. I'm afraid I will do something really embarassing on the table (since I have had serious pelvic floor damage that was made worse by reconstructive surgery.)

Next month, I'll call.

This August will be two years since I've been and that was the check up after Easton was born. I don't hate the OB visits. It's quick and easy. However, I HATE the dentist visits. There's always a 'good' reason to put that off when I shouldn't. I never have a dentist visit that didn't hurt.

However, I HATE the dentist visits.

Yep, this is me....HATE the dentist. I'd rather go to the gyno, but teeth cleanings aren't THAT bad, but I hate them all the same. My teeth feel funny for days (like they are loose and moving around or something).

I'm not sure it counts, though. Should I do some kind of average between today and six years? :D

My negligence is created by two basic problems:

(1) The cost. Although we have always had catastrophic type insurance, it never covered any medical visits, and we never met the high deductible. So, all expenses came out of our pockets. For 700 bucks per month, you'da thunk we coulda done better. Now, w/ BCBS, we supposedly get well visits for a $10 co-pay. I think. I hope. Anyway, that's one of the major reasons I'm trying, willing, able to get back in the saddle. 'Course, w/ our no frills insurance, there will be no contribution toward the $125 I spent on the eye doctor last week, and there will be no savings on any dermatological screenings I need to have (yes *need* to have...I've already had two moles removed in the past five years), and it won't cover the dentist. But, boy do I feel gooood about that $10 co-pay at the gyn's. :rolleyes:

(2) The principle. I don't like the principle behind most Western medicine. Examine the person. Look at the parts independently. Find problems or potential problems. Fix problems, generally with drugs. Don't treat whole person, because that would make too much sense. All right, I know that's way over simplified, but that's the gist of why I am not at all drawn most conventional medicine or the doctors who practice it.

Like my old friend Clifford once said when I told him I was getting a routine physical after many years of not doing so,

"Welll...one thang's shore. You'll be goin' back regular now."

"Really? Why do you say that Clifford?"

"'Cause they always find somethin' wrong witcha."

Amen!

I think I've said too much. Shutting up now. :001_huh:

(2) The principle. I don't like the principle behind most Western medicine. Examine the person. Look at the parts independently. Find problems or potential problems. Fix problems, generally with drugs. Don't treat whole person, because that would make too much sense. All right, I know that's way over simplified, but that's the gist of why I am not at all drawn most conventional medicine or the doctors who practice it.

Glad someone else said this so I didn't feel all alone with this sentiment.

I do the dentist and OB regularly (although my midwife said it was really typical for women to skip the OB when their kids were young because, really, who has time and a decent sitter). I had a physical about 2 years ago, and I thought it was sorta useless. I know there are folks who are helped by this stuff, but, really, I think I'm more self-aware and able to take myself to the doctor when something is a bit amiss.

I said less than a year because I went in January, but it had been 10-11 years before that. I only went because dh was nagging me to and there was a check up that I thought he should get that he was refusing. I told him if he wanted me to go, he would have to promise to go to his. He said, "You first," and then almost backed out of his bargain! I let him know how pissed I would be if he didn't follow through. I probably will not go for another gyn exam until I am 40 which is in 3 years. I would wait longer, but 40 is such a nice, round number.

Glad someone else said this so I didn't feel all alone with this sentiment.

I do the dentist and OB regularly (although my midwife said it was really typical for women to skip the OB when their kids were young because, really, who has time and a decent sitter). I had a physical about 2 years ago, and I thought it was sorta useless. I know there are folks who are helped by this stuff, but, really, I think I'm more self-aware and able to take myself to the doctor when something is a bit amiss.

I don't avoid these visits because I dread the exam. I truly don't. That's not to say I love them. Shoot, my blood pressure was higher today than I've ever known it to be (still not problem high), which I can only attribute to stress! But, the attitude -- now that makes me run!

Fortunately, I really liked the doctor today (a woman originally from Arkansas whose dh is at the Naval Academy!), so maybe she'll win me over. Best manner I've experienced from a doc in as long as I can remember! Very encouraging. :001_smile:

I promise. I'm just curious about those of you who never or rarely go, how you aren't a little bit scared? Cervical cancer is so curable if found early enough through pap smears. Am I just a paranoid individual??:lol: I guess I can be a worry wart. I understand the cost factor. That definitely makes me delay going to the dentist. Fortunately, with my insurance, my pap tests are free. But again, my question is if you choose not to have the test, does the following information make you nervous?

Here's what the American Cancer Society says about cervical cancer:

The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2008, about 11,070 cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed in the United States. Some researchers estimate that non-invasive cervical cancer (carcinoma in situ) is about 4 times more common than invasive cervical cancer.

About 3,870 women will die from cervical cancer in the United States during 2008. Cervical cancer was once one of the most common causes of cancer death for American women. The cervical cancer death rate declined by 74% between 1955 and 1992. The main reason for this change is the increased use of the Pap test. This screening procedure can find changes in the cervix before cancer develops. It can also find early cervical cancer in its most curable stage. The death rate from cervical cancer continues to decline by nearly 4% a year.

Cervical cancer tends to occur in midlife. Most cases are found in women younger than 50. It rarely develops in women younger than 20. Many older women do not realize that the risk of developing cervical cancer is still present as they age. Almost 20% of women with cervical cancer are diagnosed when they are over 65. That is why it is important for older women to continue having regular Pap tests. See the section, "Can Cervical Cancer Be Prevented?" for more specific information on current American Cancer Society screening recommendations.

Cervical cancer occurs most often in Hispanic women; the rate is over twice that in non-Hispanic white women. African-American women develop this cancer about 50% more often than non-Hispanic white women.

I'm way overdue. It's been years. Since I see a midwife for my pregnancies...I tend to forget about those annuals, KWIM? Last one was maybe 4-5 years ago? And now we have to switch doctors after 10 years w/ the one I've been going to and really like and so I can't say I'm realy thrilled w/ the idea of having a female exam w/ somebody I don't know. Ugh.

I have health insurance, and only get them when I'm pregnant.

Ditto and ditto. and even then, it's only as far as my midwife will do one.

Like my old friend Clifford once said when I told him I was getting a routine physical after many years of not doing so,

"Welll...one thang's shore. You'll be goin' back regular now."

"Really? Why do you say that Clifford?"

"'Cause they always find somethin' wrong witcha."

This is pretty much where I am too. I never could quite put my finger on it, so this helps :)

I'm just curious about those of you who never or rarely go, how you aren't a little bit scared? Cervical cancer is so curable if found early enough through pap smears.

no, I'm not.

I wasn't scared doing homebirths, i'm not scared that I'll seriously maim a child in a car accident w/in three miles of my house, and I'm not scared of numerous other things. I do have my own pet issues that i'm sure others don't subscribe to. To each their own :) Now maybe if they wanna pay ME to go, I might, lol. Like Doran, the visit itself doesn't move me either way.

I wasn't scared doing homebirths, i'm not scared that I'll seriously maim a child in a car accident w/in three miles of my house, and I'm not scared of numerous other things. I do have my own pet issues that i'm sure others don't subscribe to. To each their own :) Now maybe if they wanna pay ME to go, I might, lol. Like Doran, the visit itself doesn't move me either way.

Yep, you nailed it. Except I didn't have the option for homebirth (although I strongly considered unassisted).

It isn't scary, it's just sort of ... there.

Our dentist is a couple of blocks away, and I want the kids to go, so I lead by example. I like chatting with the midwife, so that one's okay. But the regular physical? Bleh.

Yes, sometimes I worry. I will get mammograms when I am older (my grandmother died of breast cancer, but at 32 and usually pregnant or nursing they won't schedule one.) I don't worry enough to go to the health department, though. I went once for a UTI and promised myself I won't go again. The place was terrible, overcrowded, and the nurse practitioner lectured me up one side and down the other about how I should be using artificial birth control.

I'm going today :D

I'm not sure how longs it's been, 2-3 years. I am usually very regular; every year. I used it as leverage to get DH to have a colonoscopy. (He has IBS and colon cancer in his family history). He had his last week, and I'm trotting off to the GYN today. Yeah, I hate it, but I prefer it to major illness. It only lasts for a few minutes.

I'm in Canada, so insurance isn't an issue. Primary prevention is a key strategy in containing health care costs here, and annual well-visits are encouraged.

I go every year to my family doc for a physical as I have a couple of conditions that require tests/med renewals. OB/GYNs here typically don't see patients for annual visits....family docs do pelvic and breast exams, and refer for obstetrical care and gyne stuff as required.

I love my family doc. He is smart, sensible, lays out facts and options and then lets me make decisions about care. The only thing he pushed me on was mammograms, and he talked me through his thought process on the necessity for them between ages 40-50, giving me new info that I was not aware of. So I went for one.

He hasn't pushed my children for a physical because lacking symptoms or problems, there isn't evidence that an annual physical for teen boys has any benefit. So after their intake interview (when we joined the practice), they just see him for specific issues (acne, warts, etc.)