Menu

Singapore Word Problem Help!

How would you solve this...they haven't yet done Algebra or dividing by fractions. I can't figure out how to solve this without either Algebra or with the bar diagrams we keep ending up needing to divide by a fraction. There has to be a way but I just can't see it....

Thanks in advance...

There were three times as many jelly beans in Jar A as in Jar B. After 2685 beans in Jar A were sold, Jar B had twice as many jelly beans as Jar A. How many more jelly beans were there in Jar A than in Jar B at first?

I'm not good at drawing the bar diagram on the computer but we did that and we've gotten to the point of seeing that 2685 is equal to 2 1/2 B but he hasn't yet done dividing by fractions and I can't figure out how to do it without teaching that. I'm wondering if there is a way to set up the problem so we don't end up dividing by a fraction.

There were three times as many jelly beans in Jar A as in Jar B. After 2685 beans in Jar A were sold, Jar B had twice as many jelly beans as Jar A. How many more jelly beans were there in Jar A than in Jar B at first?

Before:

Jar A (I've given six rather than three divisions to avoid dealing with a half in the after diagram)

|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

Jar B

|-----|-----|

After:

Jar A

|----|<------------2658----------->

Jar B

|-----|-----|

The difference between Jar A before and after is 2685, so 5 of it's 6 divisions represent 2684. So one part is 537 and the original six parts are 3222.

I'm guilty of wanting to do Singapore problems with algebra. Instead of a pure bar diagram approach, we often used little "boxes" to represent problems, and my boxes could be thought of as representing a variable in a pure algebra approach. For this problem, I would have drawn two big jars. In jar B, I would have drawn two small little boxes. Why two? Because at the end of the problem, B ends up with *twice* as many as A. The amount of beans in B never changes, so those two boxes are the amount at the beginning and the amount at the end.

The amount in A does change, but at the beginning of the problem, it has 3 times as many beans as B. I would have my dd figure out that if B has 2 boxes, how many should A have (6--3 times as many). How many are left in A at the end? Half as many as B, so only 1 left. So the difference, 5 boxes, has to account for all of the jelly beans that left the jar, 2685 beans. If 5 boxes have 2685 beans, how many are in one box? (divide by 5--537). Now, we found the amount in one of the little boxes. What did the book ask us to find? How many more in A than B. A was 6 boxes=3222. B was 2 boxes=1074. The difference is 2148. Is that right?