Menu

College a year early -- missed a lot of scholarship deadlines. Suggestions?

Christy B

We're inclined to let dd take advantage of the opportunity to go to college a year earlier than anticipated.

It's March -- we've already missed a lot of scholarship deadlines (4H, for example).

Aren't most scholarships awarded to freshmen only? Is there any hope of her being able to apply for scholarships, still? Or once she's already in college?

Also, what is the likelihood, *really*, of getting more scholarship? She's already been awarded the maximum amount of merit scholarship by the school. I hate to walk away from potential scholarship if waiting one more year (she can defer her enrollment and not have to re-apply) would result in thousands of dollars of renewable scholarships. On the other hand, I hate to frustrate her by having her wait a year, only to find that there really aren't that many scholarships available to her.

One other consideration: we homeschool in NC. The college she will be attending has accepted her through an "early college" gateway. Could she be technically considered a highschooler, taking dual enrolled classes for her senior year of high school? I do not have to award her a diploma in order for her to go to college. Could I call her a high school senior next year, because she could be, as far as her NC state homeschool status goes (I think).

Also, what is the likelihood, *really*, of getting more scholarship? She's already been awarded the maximum amount of merit scholarship by the school.

I posted about my daughter's attempts to get outside scholarships in this thread. The thread refers back to an older thread that is also worth reading.

Regards,

Kareni

I posted about my daughter's attempts to get outside scholarships in this thread. The thread refers back to an older thread that is also worth reading.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you! I found a great book with up-to-date scholarship listings. Yes, many deadlines were in February but many were not. We will be very busy between now and June, but there are plenty still open.

I was also encouraged at how many scholarships are available for enrolled college students (especially juniors and seniors). The fields of study are more narrow but it's encouraging to think that each year we can look for more to apply for.

Thank you! I found a great book with up-to-date scholarship listings. Yes, many deadlines were in February but many were not. We will be very busy between now and June, but there are plenty still open.

I was also encouraged at how many scholarships are available for enrolled college students (especially juniors and seniors). The fields of study are more narrow but it's encouraging to think that each year we can look for more to apply for.

What book did you find?