Menu

I just wanted to post my thoughts on The Hungar Games as well as a friends

Well, I went to see the Hungar Games with some friends last night and I just wanted to post the thoughts from a friend (who was with me) concerning young kids watching this movie, her response is very heartfelt and true. My 15 yr old daughter saw this with us and she did not read the book, but her response to the movie was; I was totally not mentally prepared for this movie. Although the movie was made well, I was pretty disturbed myself the whole time. I will not be reading the rest of the books. Here is my friends reponse:

Okay; I've had a few hours to sleep on my 'Hunger Games' experience and feel I need to share. This movie is NOT for children under 18! My children will NEVER watch it. I regret that I let my 10 year old read the series, as it glorifies murder and power. I feel extremely strong about the images that were labeled PG-13. This is an R rated film. VERY upset that my child has been exposed to the story in written form, as well! I have had to apologize to my daughter this morning (for allowing her to read the books) and she responded my weeping and saying she knew they weren't appropriate but felt peer pressure. BIG (not so proud) moment for me as a mother.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I actually feel the opposite. I thought it was extremely well done to NOT be a R rated movie. I am glad my 10 and 12 year olds read/listened to it and love it as much as my husband, me, and my parents. We've had some awesome conversations about the themes and story. I thought the movie was quite appropriate for tweens/teens. BUT you have to know your kids and their sensitivity level and how much exposure to certain things you are willing to allow. None of us here felt it glorified murder at all. Quite the opposite, really. I actually will have no problem watching it on DVD at home with my younger two (3 and 5) around. They've also seen all the Harry Potters and other movies like that.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have read all three books. Anyone who thinks the books are glorifying murder and power did not understand the books.

I am sorry your daughter and your friend's daughter were disturbed.

This. It no more glorifies murder and power than Lord of the Flies. The book is part of a trilogy. It takes reading all of them to fully understand. I do not think letting a 10yo reading them alone is a wise idea, though. The themes need maturity to comprehend the full weight.

We have enjoyed the books, comparing them to ancient history as well as current politics and will go see the movie with a greater understanding than just watching the film or reading the first book.

This. It no more glorifies murder and power than Lord of the Flies. The book is part of a trilogy. It takes reading all of them to fully understand. I do not think letting a 10yo reading them alone is a wise idea, though. The themes need maturity to comprehend the full weight.

:iagree: I'm going to see the movie with my 17 year old tomorrow night. We have both read the whole series and have discussed it in detail.

WOW -- no one under 18, really?

We will have to agree to disagree.

My kids and I will continnue to have amazing discussions about the myriad of issues and topics in the book, how they were shown in the film, and why the film IS different (i.e., things not in the film) from the book.

I would not be able to list here everything that I can pull out of the film (even including film making topics) that I will discuss with my kids.

your experience was clearly different than mine -- I'm sorry it wasn't a good experience for you.

I read the first book soon after it was released. My kids have not read it.

I found it very disturbing that year after year, kids were sacrificed while the parents stood by and did nothing.

The vast majority of my kids' friends are planning to see the movie. In fact, the middle school kids at my p.s. are going on a field trip today to the movie cinema to see The Hunger Games. If my kids were in p.s., they would have been called off sick today.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have read all three books. Anyone who thinks the books are glorifying murder and power did not understand the books.

:iagree:

I said this before on a friend's FB post. She had (or she borrowed it from someone else) pullled out several murder/gory points of the story and posted that as proof that the books/movie were not good material to read. But as I pointed out, one can pull out bad parts of ANY book, and if you JUST pull out the bad parts, you miss the point of the story. One must remember that the Hunger games has very powerful statements about the love and kindness of human nature, how willpower, determinations and love in the end, conquer all.

I recently read Lord of the Flies (had read in Jr. High for a school assignment prior) as my DS13 was assigned to read that as part of his K12 school assignment. I wanted to be sure he was answering his essay questions with thought, so I read it as well. This book is considered a classic. Boys savagely beat and murder other children. One boy has a conversation with a speared pig head surrounded by buzzing flies.

I just finished Wuthering Heights last week (again had read it in school, but wanted to reread it from an adult perspective). Again, considered a classic. Humans savagely beat other humans, often children. Adultery. Forced marriages of young teenagers. Forced servitude.

Let's bring up the Bible. There are various parts that describe horrifying, despicable behaviour. One that comes to mind is a small little episode of a man being savagely beaten, dragged through town, and nailed to a cross through his wrists and feet. Gory, anyone?

So yes, one could pull about the murder/gore in any book, but if you fail to mention the beautiful, powerful parts that highlight how amazing humans and life can be, how good can be SO GOOD, then you've failed to read the whole story.

Note: I haven't seen the movie yet, only read all three books, so I can't say if the movie followed along with the books.

I agree.

I read the books, and they WERE disturbing. But in a very pointed way, that makes you think. Collins says she got the idea for the books while flipping between a reality TV show and gruesome coverage about the war in Iraq, and started to think about what our society considers entertainment. It does seem a stretch to take the "last man standing" point of most reality TV competitions and make it literally about life and death, but Collins did an excellent job "world building" and I think that how our society got from here to there is as believable as not.

I don't think I'd let a 10 year old read it: it's definitely a book for teens. They are violent, but they are about a lot more than that.

But I also think the movie could be very disturbing for younger kids and tweens.

Mine are 14 and 15, so no problems (they've both read the books as well).

I think if a kid can't understand the books and movies on the deeper level, then they aren't ready to read or watch them :)

The stories are about a young woman fighting against a brutal government. The evil _is_ murder and abuse of power. Some people are being forced to murder in the stories. The protagonists do not rejoice in this evil. They mean to fight it! They hate it!

The power than enforces these actions is the evil that must be stopped in the stories

I think only the barest, surface-understanding can render it about anything else. Even my 10-year-old, who read the book, clearly understood it for what it was when we discussed it.

WOW -- no one under 18, really?

We will have to agree to disagree.

My kids and I will continnue to have amazing discussions about the myriad of issues and topics in the book, how they were shown in the film, and why the film IS different (i.e., things not in the film) from the book.

I would not be able to list here everything that I can pull out of the film (even including film making topics) that I will discuss with my kids.

your experience was clearly different than mine -- I'm sorry it wasn't a good experience for you.

:iagree: We also have had a lot of discussions about the books, but they are 13+ and have read the entire series. Gaining the understanding of the historical perspective and the end results shows a whole picture that the first book and film can't do.

Personally I would have not let a ten year old read them, especially not without pre-reading first, but that's for me to determine as a parent. And I don't know that 18 is a magic age where they suddenly become suitable. There are persons on both sides of that age line for whom the content would be disturbing. I thought the violence in the film was very much toned down from the books--the book descriptions were so much more heartwrenching for me.

I would encourage anyone who is planning on taking children to take the time to educate yourself--preread all three books and read the film reviews. Children forced into an arena to kill other children by the government is indeed disturbing and not for everybody. Don't go into this one uninformed.

I agree about reading the books yourself and discussing it with your child. My 13 yo read them, and we will be seeing the movie.

I think the books were well written. I cannot comment on the movie yet though. But friends of ours have seen it, and loved it.

We have enjoyed the books, comparing them to ancient history as well as current politics and will go see the movie with a greater understanding than just watching the film or reading the first book.

First I want to say that I did not intend to offend anyone. I just wanted to voice my opinion.

I also wanted to clarify that I do not regret my 15 yr old watching the movie. She is in high school and the story line does resemble much of the reading required in high school. However, I remember reading stories such as, The lottery and The Most Dangerous Game in high school/college and still to this day, those stories creep me out!!! So, for me the movie was disturbing.

I cannot agree with others that the movie does "not" glorify murder and power because children are killing children and laughing about it (in the movie).

As far as my friends response, I just wanted to share the perspective from a mom of a 10 yr old that has read the books.

I personally think that if you have children under the age of 14, you may want to go see the movie yourself first.

The stories are about a young woman fighting against a brutal government. The evil _is_ murder and abuse of power. Some people are being forced to murder in the stories. The protagonists do not rejoice in this evil. They mean to fight it! They hate it!

The power than enforces these actions is the evil that must be stopped in the stories

How much bloodshed do our kids need to see with their own eyes before they can grasp all these deep meanings?

Thank goodness Hollywood is there to keep reinforcing all these lofty themes. More red, more green. I think I get it.

:iagree: It sounds like she completely misunderstands the premise (or rather, is misrepresenting it, as she hasn't read the books herself), as in fact the books do just the opposite.

Edited by WordGirl

First I want to say that I did not intend to offend anyone. I just wanted to voice my opinion.

I also wanted to clarify that I do not regret my 15 yr old watching the movie. She is in high school and the story line does resemble much of the reading required in high school. However, I remember reading stories such as, The lottery and The Most Dangerous Game in high school/college and still to this day, those stories creep me out!!! So, for me the movie was disturbing.

I cannot agree with others that the movie does "not" glorify murder and power because children are killing children and laughing about it (in the movie).

Yes, they do. But you have to place the reaction - these are children from two different yet similar backgrounds: those who rarely get enough to eat and winning means a chance at health and having their needs met (along with their families). And then there are those who have been told over and over how great they would be as "winners". Both sets of children are desperate and are going through everything from shock to horror to relief at being alive.

Peeta's comment about dying as himself needs to shine through that. As a protagonist he makes the distinction between those who will do anything to survive and the need to remember who you are and stay true to that -even in the face of something as horrific as this.

And are the ones laughing the protagonists and heroes of the story? It does make a difference.

FWIW, I'm not offended by your OP—I disagree with it.

Just the study of history can be disturbing enough. And The Hunger Games is fictional. My DS (almost nine years old) and I have had some serious discussions about the Aztecs and their sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of people to feed their gods. The Romans and the gladiatorial fights, etc.

I think what disturbs people about these books is that they are not such a stretch of the imagination.

I

I found it very disturbing that year after year, kids were sacrificed while the parents stood by and did nothing.

y.

But that's part of the point - they were powerless to do anything. To try to fight it meant certain death.

Yes, they do. But you have to place the reaction - these are children from two different yet similar backgrounds: those who rarely get enough to eat and winning means a chance at health and having their needs met (along with their families). And then there are those who have been told over and over how great they would be as "winners". Both sets of children are desperate and are going through everything from shock to horror to relief at being alive.

Peeta's comment about dying as himself needs to shine through that. As a protagonist he makes the distinction between those who will do anything to survive and the need to remember who you are and stay true to that -even in the face of something as horrific as this.

I loved that part of the book (haven't seen the movie yet) where Peeta wants to come through this as himself. What a pivotal moment for Katniss.

I will be taking all three of my older children. They've all read the books so they are familiar with the content and all that I read about the violence says that it isn't gruesome. I'm good with that.

And, I love the conversations we've had!

This movie is NOT for children under 18! My children will NEVER watch it. I regret that I let my 10 year old read the series, as it glorifies murder and power. I feel extremely strong about the images that were labeled PG-13. This is an R rated film. VERY upset that my child has been exposed to the story in written form, as well! I have had to apologize to my daughter this morning (for allowing her to read the books) and she responded my weeping and saying she knew they weren't appropriate but felt peer pressure. BIG (not so proud) moment for me as a mother.

Problem number 1, never let/allow your children to read anything that you have not preread, if they are of a sensitive nature or if your family has heightened reactions to various issues (violence, sex, religion, language, etc.). I would ask your friend, who exposed her child to the story in written form? No offense, but if she was the one who permitted them to read or see it when she didn't know what it was, then therein lies the problem.

Problem number 2, what's up with the poor kid weeping and saying that she caved to peer pressure? I can see how peer pressure could cause someone to pick up and start a book that would not be a good fit for them, but no one held a letter opener to her head and made her continue it to the end. IMO, this is more disturbing to me than the movie.

Problem number 3, I am not into anyone making blanket proclamations about what is suitable for mid to late teens they do not know. My family has very different sensibilities than your friend. My 13yo dd (who has shot competitive archery since she was 8) enjoyed seeing and discussing the use of the bow in the movie and the specific equipment selected. We have also studied the work of special effects make up artist, Vee Neil, and paid special attention to the sfx work on the movie. So no, I feel this movie was fine for my 13yo, regardless of your friend's pronouncement.

I mentioned in a previous post that the books definitely disturbed me. It really bothers me to read about situations where parents can do nothing to protect their children. To the previous poster who said that they were bothered because the parents didn't, what exactly would you have had them do against such a draconian government that would not have gotten them and their children killed, and possibly their entire community along with them?

However, I also mentioned that my dd had a totally different perspective on the books. At 13, she was captivated by a heroine who uses intelligence, skill, integrity, perseverance, etc. to prevail. For my dd, these books are about love and hope.

I do not think these books were written to glorify violence. I think the emphasis was instead on how man's inhumanity to man is not limited to direct conflict, but also often spills over into the horror of forcing the victim to perpetrate more victimization onto others. I think Peeta, really characterized this when he spoke about being willing to kill to defend himself or others but not wanting to let the government change him into becoming one of the aggressors who killed just for the sake of the game.

I was one of the crazies who took my dd to the theater at midnight last night to see this movie and sat through it with her. I think the PG-13 rating is appropriate for this movie.

Edited by hillfarm

The "careers" are the ones that laugh about killing and seem to revel in the "glory" of it. They are NOT the heroes and in fact are spoken about rather negatively. The careers are the bad as opposed to Katniss and Peeta's good. Katniss is horrified at killing someone. It bothers her. Peeta doesn't directly kill anyone at all (his one credited kill is an accident). Katniss and Peeta = love, goodness while the careers = cold-blooded, hatred, evil.

How much bloodshed do our kids need to see with their own eyes before they can grasp all these deep meanings?

Thank goodness Hollywood is there to keep reinforcing all these lofty themes. More red, more green. I think I get it.

These are not deep meanings of the story. These are the basic concepts. I still think only the very shallowest reading can fail to miss these.

As far as the blood-shed question you posed, I don't know. One deaths, two, a million? Does it matter? It's a narrative, it's a story.

I don't mind if people don't like the story (I don't like what happens in the story myself. Who liked governments killing people. People killing people? Especially children? It's depressing, horrific, and tragic--but the story is also meaningful, and redemptive.) I'm fine if people don't like it. That doesn't offend me in the least. I get frustrated by people who don't even understand it and try to persuade others that it's bad because they can't grasp the concepts.

The "careers" are the ones that laugh about killing and seem to revel in the "glory" of it. They are NOT the heroes and in fact are spoken about rather negatively. The careers are the bad as opposed to Katniss and Peeta's good. Katniss is horrified at killing someone. It bothers her. Peeta doesn't directly kill anyone at all (his one credited kill is an accident). Katniss and Peeta = love, goodness while the careers = cold-blooded, hatred, evil.

I see the career tributes as victims also. Children who have been bred and trained to victimize others in the Games. Yes, they are the "bad guys", but they had minimal choice in the matter. And that, in and of itself, makes me condemn them less for their actions. Their laughter shows just how deeply them themselves have been victimized.

IMO, the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the government that holds the Games and forces the citizenry to participate.

I read the first book soon after it was released. My kids have not read it.

The vast majority of my kids' friends are planning to see the movie. In fact, the middle school kids at my p.s. are going on a field trip today to the movie cinema to see The Hunger Games. If my kids were in p.s., they would have been called off sick today.

:001_huh: Really? Wow. Yeahhh, wouldn't happen here, either.

Ok, I'm gonna fess up. I didn't know what the Hunger Games was even about. I've heard of it, but I had to google it yesterday 'cause I was feeling so out of the loop. :tongue_smilie: I was honestly SHOCKED when I read what the premise of the story is. I've got lots of homeschool mom friends who are all ga-ga over the movie coming out, 'Because the books were SOOOO good!', blah blah blah. There's no way I would read something like that for entertainment, nor would I watch a movie version. Same for my kids.

OP, I appreciate your story, and that of your friend.

I agree.

I read the books, and they WERE disturbing. But in a very pointed way, that makes you think. Collins says she got the idea for the books while flipping between a reality TV show and gruesome coverage about the war in Iraq, and started to think about what our society considers entertainment. It does seem a stretch to take the "last man standing" point of most reality TV competitions and make it literally about life and death, but Collins did an excellent job "world building" and I think that how our society got from here to there is as believable as not.

I noticed the similarity with Survivor immediately. In fact, that is how I have described the first book ever since I read it--Survivor on steroids with actual deaths.

my ds (10) has read the first book with both dad and I (and his book club), who have read all three books. We have discussed it thoroughly. He himself has come to the conclusion that Katniss did not kill for fun or even enjoy killing, her entire desire was to survive so that she could take care of her family, that those she did kill were either in DIRECT defense or mercy. He told me he thinks the that the districts that train, see it as a sport and a means of survival, because if they win, they are comfortable with money to take care of themselves and families and fame.

He talks about how even if they live, they are maybe better dead, because they know the killed to live. They will feel bad for it.

He would not want to be IN the Hunger Games, but said if he was, he would try to make it to the end, especially if he could without killing anyone, maybe survive by living off the land and hiding. Maybe not have to kill anyone. He said, that to decide not to try and live is the same as killing yourself, suicide, that how can anyone decide to just die, you have to fight, even if you do not want to.

I believe that he did not see the killing as a glorious act, he feels bad for those who train and do not understand anything else.

I think this series is dark, but does reflect several elements in world history. We talked about those. We discussed rather or not this type thing could happen again. I would not send my children off to read this alone. I would NOT recommend that the movie is watched by children who have not read the books. I would strongly recommend READING the books if you are sharing them with ANY of your children, regardless of age.

However, I think they are VERY good, well written and thought provoking. I am very happy we have read them.

I look forward to discussing difference between the book and movie with my son and hearing his thoughts on how the differences change the messages from the book. He already pointed out that the mercy is not shown very well.

A public middle school here is also going to see the movie (next week) as a field trip. Some people were horrified, but it turns out that the kids who are allowed to go had to 1.) read the book, 2.) take a test proving they read it/knowledge of the book, and 3.) have parental permission (and payment). No sick day needed. No one is every forced to go on a field trip.

I see the career tributes as victims also. Children who have been bred and trained to victimize others in the Games. Yes, they are the "bad guys", but they had minimal choice in the matter. And that, in and of itself, makes me condemn them less for their actions. Their laughter shows just how deeply them themselves have been victimized.

IMO, the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the government that holds the Games and forces the citizenry to participate.

You are very right. It's another layer of a *very* complicated story. That's one of the the things that, to me, makes Hunger Games so great. There is just *so much* to it. It's so not what it seems on the surface. The discussions it has brought up in our house have been amazing. I've been especially amazed at how much my 10 and 12 year old really understand of the deeper meanings, particularly about what the government and Capitol forced these kids to do and why there seemed to be nothing anyone could do about it.

:iagree: I absolutely understand why some parents would not allow this book in their house. But I do not think the books are glorifying murder at all. Quite the opposite. I am seeing the movie tonight with my 11 year old. We've already had some powerful discussions based on the books. My 11 year old is precocious across the board, so I can't speak to the readiness level of all 11 year olds to this series. I just don't think you can stereotype people who would allow their younger kids to watch it.

I just read a review 10 minutes ago that says the movie white washes the books and was "too sanitized". Guess you can't please everyone.

http://motherjones.com/media/2012/03/movie-review-hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence

Ok, I'm gonna fess up. I didn't know what the Hunger Games was even about. I've heard of it, but I had to google it yesterday 'cause I was feeling so out of the loop. :tongue_smilie: I was honestly SHOCKED when I read what the premise of the story is. I've got lots of homeschool mom friends who are all ga-ga over the movie coming out, 'Because the books were SOOOO good!', blah blah blah. There's no way I would read something like that for entertainment, nor would I watch a movie version. Same for my kids.

I'd recommend you read it. See for yourself. Yes. The subject matter is disturbing, but SO thought-provoking.

My sister told me the premise of the story and I was also horrified, but decided to read it for myself. I was disturbed, shocked, etc. But, in the end, these books are about SO much more than children killing children.

I just read a review 10 minutes ago that says the movie white washes the books and was "too sanitized". Guess you can't please everyone.

http://motherjones.com/media/2012/03/movie-review-hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence

The movie doesn't whitewash anything -- the individual who wrote the review is missing the director's point. His point is that he made a film that treats the book the way the Capital treated the games -- we only are shown the surface.

My thoughts:

Fascinating juxtaposition between WHAT WE SEE on reality tv (assuming one watches reality tv) and WHAT REAL is.

Does that make sense?

One must consider the book with all of Katniss' thoughts and observations and interaction. And then one must (having read the book) consider what they are seeing in the film and ask 'WHY AM I NOT SEEING IN THE FILM WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT/ENTERTAINING TO ME IN THE BOOK?

I think THAT is the crux of the film -- society is becoming increasingly superficial -- important 'things' are being left out that hinder one's understanding.

My last thought on this: Even Katniss' relationship with Gale and Peeta can be analyzed in this way.

Her relationship with Gale is rather superficial when one thinks about it.

Then, in the Games with Peeta, she goes through a plethora of emotions regarding Peela and there is depth to their relationship, they share a history. Her history with Gale is not as deep - it is more of a surface thing.

I'd recommend you read it. See for yourself. Yes. The subject matter is disturbing, but SO thought-provoking.

My sister told me the premise of the story and I was also horrified, but decided to read it for myself. I was disturbed, shocked, etc. But, in the end,

these books are about SO much more than children killing children.

Jennifer, I understand where you're coming from.

By my family has a very different view of what we will read and watch for entertainment than many others. We apply Philippians 4:8 to help us decide what sorts of things are suitable:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Also, being pacifist and non-resistant, there would be a LOT of the movie that just does NOT agree with our value system. If it were 'real life', and the government could force my child to participate in the Hunger Games, I would pray that my child would have the strength of character to hold to the beliefs we had taught him regarding murder in any form. (Same as my boys will be registering as conscientious objectors when it is time to register for Selective Services.)

Regardless of whatever else the books are about, truth is they are *also* about murder. And we do not find that entertaining.

The movie doesn't whitewash anything -- the individual who wrote the review is missing the director's point. His point is that he made a film that treats the book the way the Capital treated the games -- we only are shown the surface.

Every other review I've read this morning raves about how the movie portrays the books. I just think it's interesting how one perspective can be so polar opposite to another. Some people assume this series glorifies child killing. I definitely find the opposite to be true. I think the comparison to Lord of the Flies is good and valid.

I do think the commentary on reality TV is fascinating too!

I'm very excited to see it. Thanks for the thoughts! :001_smile:

Every other review I've read this morning raves about how the movie portrays the books. I just think it's interesting how one perspective can be so polar opposite to another. Some people assume this series glorifies child killing. I definitely find the opposite to be true. I think the comparison to Lord of the Flies is good and valid.

I do think the commentary on reality TV is fascinating too!

I'm very excited to see it. Thanks for the thoughts! :001_smile:

You're welcome -- It took me about 4 hours of sleep to realize that is what I think Gary Ross has done -- it is the only explanation to me that makes sense.

He is making an unbelievable statement to people who have read the book, see the film and want to know 'where is this part?' and 'where is that part?' -- 'why did you leave that out?'

He is demonstrating to the viewer that what we VIEW is not what has happened.

To me, that is the big statement he is making.

I find it brilliant -- it IS his commentary on reality tv.

Thanks again. I think that tonight when I watch with this perspective, I will be unfolding layers and layers and layers of other things. I'm fascinated.

Enjoy!

The entire point of the games was to show the districts how utterly helpless they were and show them the ultimate power the capitol had over them.

There was nothing the parents or anyone else COULD do.

The only thing that could be done was to do what Katniss did. Replace someone you love with yourself. They had no other option. The last uprising was a slaughter and the last district to try was a wasteland. The Hunger Games are help to keep it crystal clear that they have no power over themselves.

It no more glorifies murder and power than Lord of the Flies.

I haven't read the books or seen the movie. So why am I responding?? :D The reason I haven't read or seen any of it is because I heard it compared to Lord of the Flies--a book I found VERY disturbing when I read it at 15. I was so upset by it that I refused to do any of the assignments associated with it, which greatly puzzled my teacher. She asked, but I didn't tell her why because I didn't even want to talk about it--just took a B in the course instead of an A.

All that to say that, while important conversations can certainly be had over LotF and HG, it is perfectly OK for someone to be aghast over it:D, and the warning that we should watch/read it prior to our kids is a good one, because each of us knows our kids the best.

By my family has a very different view of what we will read and watch for entertainment than many others. We apply Philippians 4:8 to help us decide what sorts of things are suitable:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Also, being pacifist and non-resistant, there would be a LOT of the movie that just does NOT agree with our value system. If it were 'real life', and the government could force my child to participate in the Hunger Games, I would pray that my child would have the strength of character to hold to the beliefs we had taught him regarding murder in any form. (Same as my boys will be registering as conscientious objectors when it is time to register for Selective Services.)

Regardless of whatever else the books are about, truth is they are *also* about murder. And we do not find that entertaining.

The Hunger Games passes the Philippians test quite well. In the midst of an awful situation, there are characters who are just and true and who are trying to chart the most virtuous path they can. Now, I am not a pacifist, and I think pacifism in the world of the Hunger Games would be an interesting topic to discuss. As a pacifist, what would the most honorable course of action have been if you were a participant in the Hunger Games?

We have also had a great deal of interesting conversation regarding the movie/books.

There were a couple of things my dd found disturbing. One, she didn't like it when I pointed out the if we lived in that scenario, we would be residents of the Capitol. We have to find ways to intentionally burn all the extra calories we consume, our clothing has reached embarassing levels of excess in many cases, physically violent sports are very popular, many people seem repulsed by the idea of thinking deeply or questioning the status quo, etc. That has given her much food for thought about our nation's role in the world, and her role within our nation.

Secondly, she wasn't too fond of the fact that she had more in common with the career tributes than the regular ones. We live on a farm in a heavily wooded area, so she has learned nature survival skills from the time she learned to walk. She has been competing in archery since she was 8. She also competes in rifle, pistol, and shotgun. She and I take a serious martial arts class and will soon be testing for our purple belts. She has many of the skills to be a "career". Our discussion focused on what they could have done to use their training and skills to change the outcome, to be on the right side rather than the wrong one.

We are Christians and I don't yet know why God has provided us with the type of training that He has. I do understand that many Christians are called to pacifism and non-violence. However, I would ask them to remember that He also calls others differently. Psalm 144:1 "Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

What other interesting Hunger Games related themes have others discussed with their dc?

I personally shun gratuitious for the sake of gratuitious for children. While I thorougly enjoy a good Tom Cruise M.I. movie, I'm a grown adult who sees all of it as, well, great special effects and completely UNreal - totally gratuitious. As a result, they are not on our list of movies for pre-teens and young teens. These types of movies are for entertainment not artistic, literary value, historical, political, etc. value.

That said, life is gruesome, many times depressing, oft times despairing, and yet in all of that, the human heart still manages to rise above, find joy, persevere...This makes some classics very powerful. These are the themes I look for in modern literature. "No Greater Love Hath a Friend Than He Lay Down His Life for a Friend." - Harry Potter, Lion Witch and Wardrobe, etc. "What you have done for the least of these you have done unto Me."

I'm rambling! :D

I guess that if I were to be honest as a Christian, I'd have to conclude that if the Bible were made into a movie series and that series portrayed any measure of the stark reality of the themes, circumstances, and man's ability to dominate, enslave, torture, and murder mankind, then an R rating wouldn't even scratch the surface of the depravity. Just look at the response to the movie "The Passion". (Our children were young then so only dd the mid-teen saw it and only because we thought she could handle it and she wanted to be part of a Bible study that was connected with the showing at church.)

Yet, I don't shrink from reading the Bible, I don't shrink from teaching it to my children, and I find immense spiritual value in wrestling with those themes and helping my children wrestle with them as well. I guess I'd much rather wrestle with them now, obviously taking into account the individual maturity and readiness of each child, while I can still bring my own influence to bear on their hearts, than have them encounter such literature later and encounter it they will...generally, in the college classrooms and employee lunchrooms, in which well, there will be many ridiculous, amoral opinions proffered! :tongue_smilie:

Now, I can say that we didn't get through the Hunger Games trilogy yet as we've had a host of other literature on the agenda. So, we are opting to not see the movie at this time. We want those important discussions to take place first. But, it is on the slate for rental when it comes out and we've finished the last book.

OP, you do not offend in any way...everyone is entitled to how they feel about such difficult topics. We all need to make the best decision we can for our families. Unfortunately, this is not one of those black/white issues where there is only one right decision to make for every family.

I'm sorry it was not a good experience. There is nothing more frustrating than to pay modern ticket prices for something that ends up being a flop or worse, a real downer. I hate that when it happens...I end up angry with msyelf for wasting the money instead of waiting to rent or skipping it all together!

Faith

What other interesting Hunger Games related themes have others discussed with their dc?

The dumbing down of America - lack of critical thinking skills, and it's relationship to reality tv.

Viewers watch 60 minutes of footage of something and it is a capsule of perhaps 7 or 14 days of events -- but someone else decides what is meaningful and what one will see.

There is also the redemption theme (brought up by someone else here) -- Katniss taking Prim's place -- Katniss volunteering to risk death to save Prim.

And then there is the analogy of Katniss' somewhat superficial relationship with Gale as it compares to her many-layered relationship with Peeta AND that paired with the complexity of what really happens in real life and what reality tv wants us to think is real.

Just the study of history can be disturbing enough. And The Hunger Games is fictional. My DS (almost nine years old) and I have had some serious discussions about the Aztecs and their sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of people to feed their gods. The Romans and the gladiatorial fights, etc.

I think what disturbs people about these books is that they are not such a stretch of the imagination.

Exactly. Memories of parents being unable to save their children from a totalitarian regime are within living memory. To pretend that it is so horrifying that it couldn't happen? Sorry, it has happened. Over and over.

Problem number 1, never let/allow your children to read anything that you have not preread, if they are of a sensitive nature or if your family has heightened reactions to various issues (violence, sex, religion, language, etc.). I would ask your friend, who exposed her child to the story in written form? No offense, but if she was the one who permitted them to read or see it when she didn't know what it was, then therein lies the problem.

I agree. I don't think you can blame the book or movie or author or director for that.

I do not think these books were written to glorify violence. I think the emphasis was instead on how man's inhumanity to man is not limited to direct conflict, but also often spills over into the horror of forcing the victim to perpetrate more victimization onto others. I think Peeta, really characterized this when he spoke about being willing to kill to defend himself or others but not wanting to let the government change him into becoming one of the aggressors who killed just for the sake of the game.

What about parts of The Bible that glorify war and soldiers? What about the parts of The Bible that describe horrible, violent acts? Are you skipping those too because they don't align with your view?

Or what about reading books like Night or The Hiding Place? Those were based upon very real, horrifying events in recent history.

The only thing that could be done was to do what Katniss did. Replace someone you love with yourself.

Exactly. So, what value is the story really portraying?

eta: FWIW, my teens read the books, but not my ten year old.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I've read the series twice, and my 11 year old has also read them (after I did). We will be seeing the movie on Sunday. I can't wait. I think the books are completely fascinating, and as so many have said, they can lead to many discussions about society, sacrifice, oppression, love, etc. They are a classic story of good versus evil.

I'm glad we all get to make our own decisions about what our children will see. Of course, I'm the mom who can't wait until her girls are old enough to watch Dirty Dancing (so shoot me). I also want them to watch The Passion of the Christ when they are old/mature enough. To me, THAT is a movie that is disturbing. And it's based on something that truly happened.

ETA: Anna is getting ready to read The Diary of Anne Frank, and I think it is much "worse" as far as violence and horror go than Hunger Games.

Edited by Nakia

The Hunger Games passes the Philippians test quite well. In the midst of an awful situation, there are characters who are just and true and who are trying to chart the most virtuous path they can. Now, I am not a pacifist, and I think pacifism in the world of the Hunger Games would be an interesting topic to discuss. As a pacifist, what would the most honorable course of action have been if you were a participant in the Hunger Games?

I don't agree with your assesment that watching the Hunger Games for entertainment would pass the Pilippians 4:8 test.

Regarding your last sentence, as a pacifist, I would not kill anyone. Regardless of if I were drafted into the army, forced to participate in the hunger games, or anything else. I'd rather give my life than take that of another.

My thoughts:

Fascinating juxtaposition between WHAT WE SEE on reality tv (assuming one watches reality tv) and WHAT REAL is.

Does that make sense?

One must consider the book with all of Katniss' thoughts and observations and interaction. And then one must (having read the book) consider what they are seeing in the film and ask 'WHY AM I NOT SEEING IN THE FILM WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT/ENTERTAINING TO ME IN THE BOOK?

I think THAT is the crux of the film -- society is becoming increasingly superficial -- important 'things' are being left out that hinder one's understanding.

My last thought on this: Even Katniss' relationship with Gale and Peeta can be analyzed in this way.

Her relationship with Gale is rather superficial when one thinks about it.

Then, in the Games with Peeta, she goes through a plethora of emotions regarding Peela and there is depth to their relationship, they share a history. Her history with Gale is not as deep - it is more of a surface thing.

You're welcome -- It took me about 4 hours of sleep to realize that is what I think Gary Ross has done -- it is the only explanation to me that makes sense.

He is making an unbelievable statement to people who have read the book, see the film and want to know 'where is this part?' and 'where is that part?' -- 'why did you leave that out?'

He is demonstrating to the viewer that what we VIEW is not what has happened.

To me, that is the big statement he is making.

I find it brilliant -- it IS his commentary on reality tv.

Thanks again. I think that tonight when I watch with this perspective, I will be unfolding layers and layers and layers of other things. I'm fascinated.

Enjoy!

Interrupting my reading of the thread to comment on this --

I haven't seen the movie yet, just finished the 3rd book in the series yesterday, but I said to my DH as I was reading, "If I were the director, I'd present the movie to us the way the Games are presented to the people in the Districts, so that what we see in the movie is what the viewers see...."

So, is that what he did? If so, very cool. For all the reasons you stated; that in & of itself, this portrayal is a commentary on things. Wow.

(I hadn't thought that deeply about it, just thought it would be one way to show the movie; though I'm kind of icked out to think we'll see more of the gore then than Katniss saw -- is that the case, too? Seeing the other deaths that she wasn't part of but learned of later?)