Menu

High school plan for a future English/Writing major?

Misty

My 14yr old daughter plans to pursue an English degree with an emphasis on writing to eventually become a novelist and editor.

Any input on her high school plan would be great! We are planning on concurrent enrollment around age 16.. I'm wondering if I need more rigor in the English/Writing department.. And if so, what would that include? I'm planning to go with all IEW stuff for now, but I'm open to suggestions.

9th grade: (this past year)

Algebra I

IEW Student Writing Intensive C

The Elegant Essay (IEW)

physics, chemistry, and physical science pre-cursor studies (no high school credit)

Latin I (though she's done Latin previously)

Spanish I (co-op class)

American Lit

American History

Logic (1st sem)

Spreadsheets (2nd sem)

Piano & Choir class

Art class

Drama class

Literature club

Creative Writers club

10th grade: (next year)

Algebra II

Biology I + lab

Latin II

Spanish II class (co-op)

High School Essay Intensive (IEW) (1st sem)

Speech Boot Camp (IEW) (1st sem)

Windows to the World (IEW) (2nd sem)

World Literature

World History

Piano

Performance Drama class

Test Prep course

A literature or writers club

11th grade:

Math? (unsure.. she has challenges here)

Succeeding on the AP English Language Exam (IEW)

Succeeding on the AP Literature Exam (IEW)

Biology II + lab

British Lit

World Geography

Not sure what else

Concurrent enrollment

12th grade:

Math?

Chemistry I + lab

U.S. Government

Computer Science

Reading in Career Field

Writing As a Career

Advanced Communications Series (IEW)

Not sure what else

Concurrent enrollment

I know I might have some gaps here (or maybe overkill?). I was just throwing this together the other night because I didn't like what I had originally planned just one year ago.. :tongue_smilie: So what am I missing? She also does the Easy Grammar Plus book (and Wordly Wise) that I will eventually give her a credit for when she completes.. Not sure what year she will complete the Easy Grammar Plus since she doesn't work on it every day. It's sort of an "on the side" thing to keep skills up.

Edited by Misty

I'm not that familiar with IEW, but make sure to supplement if they don't have a strong grammar element. Being comfortable diagramming sentences, knowing about stuff like verbals, retained objects, etc. will be a definite advantage for her (or anyone, no matter the career goal.)

Another thought: Both what a 14 year old wants to do and what a mom thinks will the the high school schedule can change rather dramatically, so stay flexible!

Blessings,

Debbie

I'd throw geometry into the math coursework.

Beyond that, you need to check what the "likely" colleges and universities are asking for entering freshman.

I only looked at your list quickly, but I didn't see economics, P.E., health, personal finance, computers. These are not necessarily required, of course, but are common enough required subjects for high schools, if not colleges.

Pegasus

Another thought: Both what a 14 year old wants to do and what a mom thinks will the the high school schedule can change rather dramatically, so stay flexible!

Very true, and she will probably change her mind ten times before she graduates.. :tongue_smilie: But I know she will stick with the writing one way or another.. She's always been obsessed with writing.. And she gets no better satisfaction than when she is correcting someone's grammar/spelling/punctuation.. So I hope she sticks with her current plan because it suits her well and she'll be great at it!

I'd throw geometry into the math coursework.

Considering geometry.. Also personal finance and Business Math (maybe?).. Math is her worst subject (and that's putting it lightly) so we're trying to keep it real for her.

Beyond that, you need to check what the "likely" colleges and universities are asking for entering freshman.

Yes, we have done this.. I need to do it again though..

I only looked at your list quickly, but I didn't see economics, P.E., health, personal finance, computers. These are not necessarily required, of course, but are common enough required subjects for high schools, if not colleges.

Computer science was scheduled for 12th grade.. but she does need the health and personal finance for sure.. I'm not sure she will need economics if she takes U.S. Government.. But it would be good for her nonetheless so I'll try to fit it in. My husband does P.E. with the kids so it's sort of informal... But we're planning to get them more involved with martial arts soon.. Thanks for the suggestions.. More for me to consider and add to the list!!

I'm not sure she will need economics if she takes U.S. Government.. But it would be good for her nonetheless so I'll try to fit it in.

Two thoughts on the economics issue: My oldest took a semester each of gov't and econ as a senior, and this is not uncommon. Government does not need to be a full year. My current senior, however, is not taking economics at all and it did not affect her acceptance at the two (admittedly midrange) schools she applied to.

Debbie

Two thoughts on the economics issue: My oldest took a semester each of gov't and econ as a senior, and this is not uncommon. Government does not need to be a full year. My current senior, however, is not taking economics at all and it did not affect her acceptance at the two (admittedly midrange) schools she applied to.

Debbie

Thanks! This sounds doable.. I'll adjust the plan!!