Menu

Dollywood or Disney?

Hello,

My husband and I are looking at taking a trip this upcoming October or very early November. We are looking at both Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN and Disneyworld in Fl. This trip would be for myself, my husband and our eight year old son.

We have never been to Dollywood and so that would be a new experience for us. We could enjoy the park and possibly go to Cades Cove in the Smoky Moutains too along with other parks. The leaves on the trees may be gorgeous around that time too. I haven't totaled up everything, but most likely it would be a less expensive trip too.

If we choose Disney, we would be going to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party for the first time. We have been to Disney several times during the Christmas season, but never in the Fall. This trip would run us right at $1,500.00 to stay onsite, have 2 day base tickets and be on the regular dining plan. Of course, this does not include gas costs for driving there or souvenir costs.

We did just go on a big Disney trip this past year the week after Thanksgiving. It was an incredible trip!

Also, we are planning for a Disney Cruise in 2013 which we are SO excited about, but it will not be till the end of 2013. Yes, we are Disney people. :)

However, we do love going other places as well. So, I am just curious what others would choose and why? Thanks so much and everyone have a wonderful day! :)

***Oh, and we are open to any other suggestions! :) We are looking for possibly a four night, five day trip. (could be 3 night, 4 day though)

Edited by Joyfullyblessed

I would pick Dollywood :) but I love it so I'm a bit partial! We are headed up this weekend for opening day as we do every year! I think Dollywood has a lot of bang for the buck depending on the ages of your kids. October is the Harvest and gospel festivals and they are great, lots of on site demonstrations for kids including glassblowing, candy making, woodcarving, and black smithing to name a few. Pigeon Forge has a lot to offer as well. I'm a Pigeon Forge/Dollywood expert so feel free to ask me anything ;)

FYI....Dollywood offers a special that if you go one day after 3p you get the next day free!

I'd say Dollywood too, especially if you just did Disney! It's beautiful and much less crowded! We always pay for the Qbot ($40 or so), and it works like the Disney fast pass. Except you can reserve your spot from anywhere in the park on the little keychain they give you. Plus you get front row seating at the shows!

I love Dollywood. We had season tickets for a few years and the setting is just beautiful. And Cades Cove is probably my favorite place in all of Tennessee.

Having said that, last time we went to Dollywood was shortly after we returned home from Disney. I remember being so disappointed. It isn't magical. :) I feel like Disney ruined me for all other amusement parks. The lines were longer, the people, while more friendly than most other amusement parks, were not nearly as friendly as those at Disney. Maybe we shouldn't have gone so soon upon our return?

If money weren't a factor, I'd always choose Disney. Otherwise, Dollywood is a lovely place. And while I'm not a fan of Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, Cades Cove is not to be missed. Be prepared, during the fall the loop can be packed and will move at a snail's pace.

Oh, Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies is an awesome stop, too.

ETA: We went to Disney at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. and lines were short. Our longest wait was maybe 15 minutes?

Check out Adventures by Disney. You might just find the vacation of a lifetime there. We've done two of the Adventures and both were way over the top with lots of unexpected goodies one could not get on his own. As soon as I save $$$ for another adventure, I will be first in line.

If you choose DisneyWorld, then try some things that are different for your son and might give you and your DH some fun time, too. For example, check into The Alice in Wonderland Tea Party or one of the pirate cruises for your son. You can book them through regular dining reservations. Call early as they fill up fast. Then during the 2 hours you and DH have together, spend the time having a nice lunch or a wonderful stroll around a resort.

For the most romantic stroll ever, try walking from the Polynesian to the Grand Floridian at around 6p. You may hear the sounds of the luau followed by the clopping of horse's hooves as Cinderella's carriage delivers a bride to her wedding destination. Take your shoes off and wiggle your toes in the sand for a minute or two. Then have dinner at Citricos followed by a leisurely walk back to the Poly. If you are so inclined, check out the Neverland Club for your son. Advance reservations are required. He may never want to go back home.

Dollywood and The Smokey Mountains is a fun trip also. You can't go wrong with any of the choices you've made.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! This is great. :) I didn't know about some of the things with Dollywood. Those sound wonderful!

Hmmm... wondering when the best time to go would be so that we miss most of the crowds during that time? Maybe I can research and find that out.

Adventures by Disney sounds incredible too! I will have to look into that for future trips. We absolutely LOVE Disney and have a great time every time we go. Fun!!!

Thanks again. :)

I live an hour and a half from Dollywood; I grew up right here, going to Dollywood almost every year.

So I vote Disney! LOL! I think Dollywood will be a huge bust after spending time recently at Disney. It just does not compare.

Enjoy your vacation either way. Oh! The most beautiful time to visit this area in fall, but it might be chilly. You just never can tell how the weather's going to be in these mountains. :D

Hello,

My husband and I are looking at taking a trip this upcoming October or very early November. We are looking at both Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN and Disneyworld in Fl. This trip would be for myself, my husband and our eight year old son.

We have never been to Dollywood and so that would be a new experience for us. We could enjoy the park and possibly go to Cades Cove in the Smoky Moutains too along with other parks. The leaves on the trees may be gorgeous around that time too. I haven't totaled up everything, but most likely it would be a less expensive trip too.

If we choose Disney, we would be going to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party for the first time. We have been to Disney several times during the Christmas season, but never in the Fall. This trip would run us right at $1,500.00 to stay onsite, have 2 day base tickets and be on the regular dining plan. Of course, this does not include gas costs for driving there or souvenir costs.

We did just go on a big Disney trip this past year the week after Thanksgiving. It was an incredible trip!

Also, we are planning for a Disney Cruise in 2013 which we are SO excited about, but it will not be till the end of 2013. Yes, we are Disney people. :)

However, we do love going other places as well. So, I am just curious what others would choose and why? Thanks so much and everyone have a wonderful day! :)

***Oh, and we are open to any other suggestions! :) We are looking for possibly a four night, five day trip. (could be 3 night, 4 day though)

Disney fan here. Note I said "fan" and not "fanatic". ;) Just so you know I'm not a "Disney or bust" person. :D

I would say your choice would depend on the length of your trip (your stay and travel time) and the ages of your kids. Five days in Gatlinburg would, to me, be way too much, but it really depends on your family and the things you want to do.

We went to Dollywood a few years ago and were very underwhelmed. The lines were short, so we did everything we wanted to do in the one day. We were with friends and we had kids aged 13ish down to I think 6 or 7. No one was particularly eager to return (and our friends aren't Disney people at all, so that wasn't their reasoning). I guess it just wasn't our "thing". Speaking for my family, we aren't 'show people' so we weren't interested in the shows and found the rides 'lacking'. There was not one ride that any of us wanted to ride again, with the exception of a few kids who rode twice with those who waited to hear a 'rider report' for the youngers.

While we haven't been to Disney for a few years, we went A LOT while the kids were younger (sometimes twice in a year).... no two trips were the same, especially because each time the kids saw something different, remembered a favorite thing, were ready to experience something new, etc. And the Not So Scary Halloween Party? Totally worth it! It's similar to the Christmas one, but with Hallowe'en music (NOT scary at all) and the characters are dressed in not scary costumes. The kids, while not young when we went, enjoyed a bit of trick or treating, too, and even dh and I took a few pieces of candy. It was a lot of fun!

That said, however, if you plan to do other things on your trip, then you have it right in looking at visiting Cades Cove, and the aquarium is to die for. We aren't 'shoppers', though, so found ourselves a bit bored after we did those things.

Something else to consider is the time you are planning to go--- I'm not positive on the dates, but the pretty leaves in Gatlinburg attract a LOT of people and you may be there during an "on season"..... we made that mistake once when we visited for the first time, and it took us 45 minutes to drive ONE mile. The restaurants were all full all the time, too. Just something to think about.

Also, we find that when we go to Gatlinburg and total the receipts, we often find that a trip to Disney would have been somewhat close to the same cost, if you figure in all that Disney/Orlando has to offer. You really get a lot for your dollar there as opposed to Gatlinburg--- again, depending on your family & interests. We have not done Disney's dining plan, though, so I'm not sure how that compares.

I have a feeling you will get about 50/50 on the replies here, so you will have a lot of info to comb through! :D

I hope you have a great trip no matter where you go.... they are both great places that have vastly different 'feels' to them!

I am loving all the replies! I have another question though for all the Dollywood experts....

IF we do choose Dollywood, when is the best time to go and not have to deal with huge crowds of people? We can move the time of the trip if needed. We just don't want to deal with SUPER hot weather or huge crowds.

Thanks! :)

If you were just going for Dollywood OR Disney, I'd probably vote Disney.

BUT in October the Smokey Mountains are gorgeous, and there is a lot of other things you can do in the area besides Dollywood. Dollywood is less exciting than say...Six Flags. But, if you have done the Florida/Disney thing several times, I would go to TN for the change of pace.

I would choose Disney any day over Dollywood. I found Dollywood underwhelming, like a pp said. Also, 5 days in Gatlinburg sounds like torture. Way too long.

We're flying to the States next month (I so don't want to!) so James Bond can see family before he deploys and so everyone can meet Han Solo (no one has met him but my mom). We decided that we need just a family trip though, so we're headed to WDW for a few days (actually it won't really be a family trip because we're leaving Han Solo with my mom, but still). We're staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort in one of their pirate themed rooms. We've stayed in them before and they are awesome. To make it extra special, we looking at taking a pirate and pals fireworks voyage or letting him take one of the kids pirate cruises.

Oh, you'll love the Disney Cruise!!! What cruise are you doing? We did the 11 night Mediterranean cruise in 2010 and it was amazing. A-ma-zing. We're hoping to do it again next year (it's now 12 nights) because it was so fantastic.

BTW, we're Disney people too. We've been to WDW 5 times as a family (I went several times before dh and I got married), Disneyland Paris 3 times and done the cruise. We love Disney.

I am loving all the replies! I have another question though for all the Dollywood experts....

IF we do choose Dollywood, when is the best time to go and not have to deal with huge crowds of people? We can move the time of the trip if needed. We just don't want to deal with SUPER hot weather or huge crowds.

If you go during the week instead of the weekend, anytime in Oct. or Nov would be good. Just don't go when school is out! Weather in Nov. could be questionable in regards to cold. You should be fairly safe early. October is usually really nice, and you won't run into as much traffic (Christmas shoppers). Weekends can be insane, especially if there is an antique car show in the area. Personally, I would try to go even earlier before the water rides close and while it is warm enough to not mind being damp.

If you go during the week instead of the weekend, anytime in Oct. or Nov would be good. Just don't go when school is out! Weather in Nov. could be questionable in regards to cold. You should be fairly safe early. October is usually really nice, and you won't run into as much traffic (Christmas shoppers). Weekends can be insane, especially if there is an antique car show in the area. Personally, I would try to go even earlier before the water rides close and while it is warm enough to not mind being damp.

Depending on when you go in October you will likely run into various fall break vacationers.

But then, I LOVE Disney!

The crowds in WDW are likely to be low during that time, and, if you check specials, they might be offering free dining, or, at the least, room discounts.

We enjoyed the Halloween party when we went, and are looking forward to the Christmas party this year.

One can never go wrong doing a Disney trip!

We have been to both and have enjoyed both as a family. We stay in the jellystone koa cabin near Dollywood when we go. Dollywood is not as crowded and the boys ha a great time. Disney is a great experience also. I think we went the end of May.

Edited by lynn

October is usually not crowded during the week just be sure to check the operating schedule first. We haven't run into heavy crowds in October, March, April or May. It usually doesn't get unbearably hot til May or so however it is supposed to be in the 80's this weekend so I'm sure I will be hot!

Thanks, everyone! We are still thinking on everything. We are now even looking at the possibility of going to Dollywood near Christmas instead of in the Fall if we choose that route.

If we chose Disney, we will go in the Fall.

Mom in high heels: We are going on a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise. It will be on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship. We are beyond excited about that vacation!!! We are booking now so that we have plenty of time to pay it off. We have heard nothing but incredible things about the Disney cruises and can't wait to experience it for ourselves finally. :)

Mom in high heels: We are going on a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise. It will be on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship. We are beyond excited about that vacation!!! We are booking now so that we have plenty of time to pay it off. We have heard nothing but incredible things about the Disney cruises and can't wait to experience it for ourselves finally. :)

Wow, the Fantasy! Isn't that the new ship??? I'm dying to go on that one. Our cruise was on the Magic, which was the first ship in the fleet. It was built in 98 and IIRC has been refurbished. It's beautiful, but not nearly as big as the Fantasy!

We're hoping to do the 12 night Med next year after James Bond gets back from the "sandbox" but we have to wait until they release their military special before we know if we can. The cruise we were on should have been $7000 for our cabin (outside), but it only cost us $2500. The 12 night next year for the same cabin is pricing out at $11000. Yikes! If the military rate is good though, we're definitely going. It was the best vacation ever. Indy said he even liked it better than Disney World. That is saying something!

I have been to WDW, but not Dollywood. However, this is what I think.

I would do a Smokey Mountains vacation and plan it as that. If you plan a Dollywood vacation as opposed to a Disney vacation it won't compare at all. But Orlando is not the Smokey Mountains. It is my understanding that Dollywood has some great shows--this is one reason why I'd hope to go sometime. If I was staying more than a couple days I'd plan some hiking, etc and take advantage of the location.