Menu

Can I?

DD has studied Latin from a variety of sources and I haven't kept track. :glare: (Hold your applause please.)

She has had a paid tutor and more recently, a very knowledgeable friend of our family teach her some Latin. We're in the process of deciding how to next proceed because we've moved. However, we really do need to give her a grade for Latin 1. Can I just give one comprehensive exam and give her a grade for the year on that? Is there a reason why I shouldn't?

What comprehensive test are you going to use? (Are you going to ask for a test from the tutor?) I'd explain what she's going to be tested on... give her a test and then do some of her grade by participation and what class work she's turned in as well. :)

If the objective of a class is to learn a certain set of skills, and the comprehensive test measures those exact skills, I see no reason to mix in "participation" and turned in class work.

For a comprehensive test for Latin I, I'd ask the student to write out all the paradigms they've learned. Start with the noun and adjective paradigms for all five declensions, and whatever verb paradigms they've learned (everything but subjunctive mood?). If she hasn't taken the NLE, I'd add in the language questions from the NLE for Latin I, or grab one from their website from a previous year. Finally, I'd have the student translate an unprepared paragraph or so, perhaps from the most recent chapter of the book she's been working from.