Menu

Trayvon Martin...is anyone following??

I'm in Florida and this case is all over our news and has me really twisted up inside. Dh has asked me not to read anymore but I just feel like it's so very wrong and wish I could do something. I was just wondering if anyone here was following the case and had anything to share.

Here is one link. It's not anything horribly graphic. A black teen was on his way home from getting a snack and a neighborhood watchman pursued him and ended up killing him. No charges have been filed, the shooter has a record, and the police seemed to do very little investigating.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally had to make myself stop reading about the case this morning. I'm beyond heartbroken at this point. I'm furious.

:iagree:

and hysterical. and inarticulate. it is simply beyond belief. and yet, it isn't.

will watch the debaters with dc this weekend.

ann

DH says I am obsessed. I'm not. It's just that from the moment I knew I was having a boy, thoughts of this type of thing happening to him played in my head. I ache for Trayvon's mother the way I used to physically ache when my infant son cried. When I heard the 911 tapes of that child screaming? I see myself running from that room.

At 11yo, my brother was 6'1" and 200 lbs with a stache. I remember how he struggled with a world that expected adult behavior from an emotionally immature child. Is that what's in store for my son too?

Today my baby is strong, opinionated, unapologetic, confident and maybe even a little brash. In ten years, that could get him killed and, worse yet, blamed for his own death. It's this thought that's kept me up for days now.

I'd like to think that under the circumstances I'd be strong enough to let the justice system do it's thing but I'm pretty sure I'd be the crazy lady with the wild eyes and smoking gun standing right outside the courthouse door. I can't help it. I feel threatened.

Florida has a law that protects people who kill (even in public) in self-defense. That's the main reason that the killer was not arrested, investigated, or charged. In the story, one person who was interviewed described a threefold increase in killings in Florida that have been deemed in "self defense" and thus yielded no investigation or charges.

I guess one problem with that kind of law is that there is no one to contradict the killer's claim that their act was one of self-defense.

I hope the local police in Sanford are brought to account for their actions.

I can't stop thinking and reading about it. It makes me so sad and sick.

Florida has a law that protects people who kill (even in public) in self-defense. That's the main reason that the killer was not arrested, investigated, or charged. In the story, one person who was interviewed described a threefold increase in killings in Florida that have been deemed in "self defense" and thus yielded no investigation or charges.

I guess one problem with that kind of law is that there is no one to contradict the killer's claim that their act was one of self-defense.

But it doesn't make sense to me, because Zimmerman was so clearly the aggressor. In his own 911 call he describes following Treyvon in his car, seeing him start to run, and chasing after him. The 911 dispatcher even told him not to give chase. He got out of his car and confronted Treyvon. He was the aggressor at every step.

I know that Florida law lets you "stand your ground," but does it really let you chase someone and then claim that you were so frightened of him that you had to kill him?

So sad. I hope more people sign and promote that petition on change.org. I had signed it and the most recent update I got said:

Dear Nancy,

Our son didn't deserve to die. Trayvon Martin was just 17 years old when he was shot and killed by George Zimmerman. Trayvon wasn't doing anything besides walking home with a bag of Skittles and some iced tea in his hands.

What makes Trayvon’s death so much harder is knowing that the man who confessed to killing Trayvon, George Zimmerman, still hasn't been charged for Trayvon’s killing.

Despite all this, we have hope. Since we started to lead a campaign on Change.org, more than 500,000 people -- including you -- have signed our petition calling for Florida authorities to prosecute our son’s killer.

Our campaign is already starting to work. Just last night, the FBI and Department of Justice announced they were investigating our son’s killing. Newspapers around the globe are reporting that it’s because of our petition.

But our son’s killer is still free, and we need more people to speak out if we want justice for Trayvon.

Can you please share our petition on Facebook and ask your friends and family to sign? Click here to share.

You can also click here to email your friends and ask them to sign that way.

We aren't looking for revenge, we're looking for justice -- the same justice anyone would expect if their son were shot and killed for no reason. Thank you so much for all you’ve done to support our family.

- Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton

...if you haven't already signed the petition, consider doing so! The guy who shot him shot an unarmed minor who had candy in his hands, when the police told him NOT to confront him...and he's not in jail. WHAT?!?! Self-defense my $!!#%R! What, he was afraid he'd get beaten with a bag of Skittles and have to taste the rainbow? Please.

Welcome to post racial America were a black young man is killed for walking in a white neighborhood while black and nothing is done.

This is an example of systematic racism in which the cops did not investigate because it appeared open and shut black man white neighborhood of course he was suspicious and self defense had to be used.

Not to mention it has taken a month to get into the media.

It is sad and scares me that many people think racism does not exist systematically in the us because we voted in a black president.

My only issue with the outcry? It is not due to racism that the killer has not been brought to justice. Florida's law just makes it too darn easy to kill people. My husband's best friend was murdered in Florida in a similar manner and nothing happened to his killer. He was a white military veteran with a family who was protecting his elderly mom and had family who work on the police force. The killer had a record and had a teenaged son with a criminal record and a history of mental instability (and who has since gone to jail on other charges). But, nothing happened to his killer.

In most states you cannot kill someone in self-defense if you have the means of escape. Going to your house or car, getting a gun and then shooting someone will eliminate it as self-defense in most states, but not Florida.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My only issue with the outcry? It is not due to racism that the killer has not been brought to justice. Florida's law just makes it too darn easy to kill people. My husband's best friend was murdered in Florida in a similar manner and nothing happened to his killer. He was a white military veteran with a family who was protecting his elderly mom and had family who work on the police force. The killer had a record and had a teenaged son with a criminal record and a history of mental instability (and who has since gone to jail on other charges). But, nothing happened to his killer.

In most states you cannot kill someone in self-defense if you have the means of escape. Going to your house or car, getting a gun and then shooting someone will eliminate it as self-defense in most states, but not Florida.

Mrs M, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Another tragedy.

As Rivka also pointed out, this man stalked this kid and instigated the altercation. I hope that, though delayed, the national outcry will see him brought to justice.

Yes, I'm following. I am praying for Trayvon's family. I just canNOT imagine!

The thing that really clinched it for me as far as my opinion goes is hearing the tape of the 911 operator TELL Zimmerman to QUIT following the boy...and yet he continued.

This morning the news was reporting that Trayvon was on the phone with a girl and told her that he was being followed.

Yeah. Unfortunately, the phone call was not recorded.

I remember when that law was passed, and was one of those against it. In fact, it seems most people I know (from both sides of the political fence) were against it, and we were all surprised it passed. Now the legislature is talking about changing it. It's sad that a tragedy had to become national news in order for their eyes to be opened. I'm sure it's not the only time this law has backfired, as Mrs. M has shown. It was only when a tragedy showed the nation what the consequences are, that they began to talk of changing it.

Welcome to post racial America were a black young man is killed for walking in a white neighborhood while black and nothing is done.

This is an example of systematic racism in which the cops did not investigate because it appeared open and shut black man white neighborhood of course he was suspicious and self defense had to be used.

Not to mention it has taken a month to get into the media.

It is sad and scares me that many people think racism does not exist systematically in the us because we voted in a black president.

:iagree:So many people believe that racism is all in the head and that people of color, especially Blacks, are just being too sensitive or playing the race card.

To the bolded: It has been in the local news since it happened. It only recently went national, I think when the parents couldn't get the Sanford police to act. The thing is, this particular police department is locally known for its racist actions.

My husband's best friend was murdered in Florida in a similar manner and nothing happened to his killer.

:grouphug: I am so sorry Mrs. Mungo. I hope this law does get changed. Though it wouldn't bring your husband's friend back, at least it could prevent such a thing from happening to others.

Maybe I missed this, but has it been reported if Trayvon was shot from behind or not? Seems like that would wrap it up.

I cannot believe his family has to go through a grand jury.

I believe he was shot in the chest.

I've read several articles and it seems Trayvon tried to lose the shooter but couldn't. It seems he then confronted him and asked why he was following him (according the girlfriend who was on the phone with him) and then they fought a bit. I just can't believe we have some stupid law that makes it ok for this grown man to harrass this kid, kill him, and walk away.

Edited by Horton

I truly hope that this situation can do some good and change the law in Florida. It is sad that the law in question has tied the hands of the police in cases like this.

It doesn't matter in Florida that the killer pursued the boy or that the boy was shot in the back. In other states, yes, those things would work against the killer. All the killer has to say in Florida is that they felt threatened by the victim. It is absurdly easy to get away with murder.

It doesn't matter in Florida that the killer pursued the boy or that the boy was shot in the back. In other states, yes, those things would work against the killer. All the killer has to say in Florida is that they felt threatened by the victim. It is absurdly easy to get away with murder.

This is a crime in and of itself.

I have lived in an inner city in South Florida, where the racial issues were very real, vivid and complex, and were combined/combusted with incomprehensible differences in wealth (Donald Trump-style rich living mere blocks from desperate, hungry poverty) and education (swanky private schools a few streets away from public "schools" consisting of a few trailers in a field; my local ps's median test scores were in the 12th percentile (think on that one - median scores)), and everyone's very, very legitimate fear of crime (violent crime) and therefore fear of strangers, especially strangers who were not like themselves or from their neighborhood.

I've been avoiding reading this story because I've been in all too many situations that could have played out this way. It's so, so sad.

I am white. My boys are black. It is terrifying to me.

Me too. This is one area I feel totally inadequate to parent my kids that are black. How do I teach them that the rules are different for them when they are stopped by police? or neighborhood watch? How can I teach them these cold truths without crushing their spirits or embittering them?

Me too. This is one area I feel totally inadequate to parent my kids that are black. How do I teach them that the rules are different for them when they are stopped by police? or neighborhood watch? How can I teach them these cold truths without crushing their spirits or embittering them?

Hmm, I think I'll start a S/O thread to discuss so we don't derail this one.

Mommie Jen, those links are excellent--especially the BlackSnob. Haunting!

Liked this quote from Michael Skolnik: I mean, it was only two weeks ago when almost every white person I knew was tweeting about stopping a brutal African warlord from killing more innocent children. And they even took thirty minutes out of their busy schedules to watch a movie about dude. They bought t-shirts. Some bracelets. Even tweeted at Rihanna to take a stance. But, a 17 year old American kid is followed and then ultimately killed by a neighborhood vigilante who happens to be carrying a semi-automatic weapon and my white friends are quiet. Eerily quiet. Not even a trending topic for the young man.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's friend. How does a family cope with the loss under this sort of injustice?

I hope this law does get changed. Though it wouldn't bring your husband's friend back, at least it could prevent such a thing from happening to others.

How do Floridians live with this law? It seems, dare I say, un-American?

I've been upset about this from the beginning. The racial angle is completely disturbing to me, as is the idea some random citizen gets suspicious of someone and shoots them! Police train extensively about such things, so the idea that (just like when Gabby Giffords was shot, an armed person on the scene almost shot the wrong person) an untrained person can run around killing innocent people in the name of security gives me pause.

I am so distressed by this story that I can barely see straight. Which I suppose betrays a certain naivete on my part, because it's not like a white man slaughtering a black teen because of some completely imagined threat is any kind of novel phenomenon in this country (see, e.g., Emmett Till) , but I am just sick over it nonetheless.

Guns are disgusting. Killers walking free are disgusting. Shortsighted laws are disgusting.

I have no other comment on this travesty that would not get deleted.

YES. I seriously cannot wrap my head around this. I am more enraged and disgusted than I've ever been before. I can't read, watch or even read about this without absolutely SEETHING.

astrid

Yes, my dh and I have been following this since it happened. We live in NY. I was stunned when there was not an arrest. At first, I assumed that law enforcement was just getting its ducks in a row to make a solid arrest. I cannot believe that man is still walking around.

His parents are in NY today and there is a huge march in their support. I cannot imagine what his parents are going through.

Now that the justice dept is involved I wonder how this is going to play out.

Here is a story on the law in question:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/us/florida-teen-shooting-law/index.html

This is the most dangerous part of the law, which is what I was discussing above:

It also eliminates a longstanding "duty to retreat" in the face of imminent harm, asserting that would-be crime victims have the right to "stand their ground" and "meet force with force" when attacked as long as they are in a place they have a right to be, are not engaged in unlawful activity and believe that their life and safety was in danger.

"I think the law is basically an invitation to use deadly force under basically any circumstance," he [insertion mine: Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence] told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" on Monday.

I think this is completely true.

Here is a story on the law in question:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/us/florida-teen-shooting-law/index.html

This is the most dangerous part of the law, which is what I was discussing above:

I think this is completely true.

I live in Florida. I am in support of being able to defend myself from threat of harm, but I wholeheartedly agree the Stand Your Ground law goes too far.

That being said, I don't think that law actually applies here. Everything I have read and heard about the case indicates Mr. Zimmerman went well beyond standing his ground, to the point of stalking the boy he shot.

I heard on the NBC evening news today that the shooter told the police that he did not approach the victim. He stated that he was in his car and the victim approached him.

Has anyone else heard this? It was the first i had heard of it. It sounds like baloney to me and irritated me to no end when I heard it.

I have not followed the case much, but let me tell you that some of the things I have seen and read about Florida boggle my mind. We have lived in Florida for almost two years and this state does many things so backwards. It's rare for us even to see a cop or sheriff anywhere. We are from the midwest where the cops were everywhere. Many people around here are totally crazy too and perform outrageous illegal acts. It's sad.

The most absurd legal issues always seem to come from FL.

I wonder what would have happened if Trayvon Martin had used deadly force against Zimmerman that night. What if he "stood his ground," fought back and, let's say, smashed his bottle of tea over Zimmerman's head and killed him? Would the law have protected him? I'm inclined to say no. The lack of action from the police to seek justice for this child's life says to me that the police feel his life was expendable. Or am I reading the law wrong? Could they have charged Zimmerman under the current law?

From what I've read, that guy intentionally got in the boy's face (literally or figuratively) and instigated the confrontation. There has to be some crime on the Florida books that covers this kind of unprovoked menacing. In order to use the self-defense law quoted above, it seems you can't have gotten yourself into the situation by your own unlawful act. I think they should be able to prosecute him.

Murder is a federal offense, if I'm not mistaken. If the state/local cops can't seem to find a crime there with an unarmed kid lying dead from the bullet of a guy who has admitted going after him unprovoked, does that mean the feds can't do anything either? Do the feds have to follow Florida law in this regard?

I really feel for all parents of young blacks right now. We'll never all agree on the degree of racism in this country, but I think we can probably all agree that this boy is dead because a man was racist (and also nutso).

This book may not be appropriate; I have not read it. However, I have heard about it and it may be of help:

http://www.amazon.com/Arrest-Proof-Yourself-Ex-Cop-Reveals-Arrested/dp/1556526377

The premise of the book is essentially in the title: how to avoid being arrested.

The experience of several of my nonwhite friends has made it abundantly clear to me that for some people, in some situations, being a person of color is all it takes to be "suspicious." Knowing how the situation with cops (or with wannabee cops) can escalate -- and how to defuse the situation -- might come in handy for your sons. I am so sorry that they (and you) have to face these hard truths. I hope things change and keep changing.

From what I've read, that guy intentionally got in the boy's face (literally or figuratively) and instigated the confrontation. There has to be some crime on the Florida books that covers this kind of unprovoked menacing. In order to use the self-defense law quoted above, it seems you can't have gotten yourself into the situation by your own unlawful act. I think they should be able to prosecute him.

*IF* it can be shown Zimmerman was engaged in an illegal activity, then the self defense statute would not apply. Based on his 911 call, I don't believe that is likely.

Murder is a federal offense, if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. Except in certain specific circumstances, murder is a state offense.

If the state/local cops can't seem to find a crime there with an unarmed kid lying dead from the bullet of a guy who has admitted going after him unprovoked, does that mean the feds can't do anything either? Do the feds have to follow Florida law in this regard?

The DOJ is investigating to see if a charge can be found from the federal level.

I really feel for all parents of young blacks right now. We'll never all agree on the degree of racism in this country, but I think we can probably all agree that this boy is dead because a man was racist (and also nutso).

The shooter may or may not be racist. He definitely comes off as mentally unstable.

Knowing how the situation with cops (or with wannabee cops) can escalate -- and how to defuse the situation -- might come in handy for your sons.

Another resource is this video series, specifically about encounters with police. It's pretty long, but there's some good information, and it's pretty even-handed.

We're in FL and our son goes to UCF (close to where this happened). I've been following and I'm furious that the shooter has not been arrested. I hope that with the media coverage gaining momentum and the Feds involvement that the family may see some justice soon. Zimmerman (the shooter) seems to have a history of instability and IMO should never have been walking around with a gun, acting like some kind of self appointed superhero. The neighborhood should have put a stop to his craziness before this happened. The police need to be on the hot seat for their handling of this too. It is outrageous. I signed the mom's petition calling for an arrest of Zimmerman.

I heard on the NBC evening news today that the shooter told the police that he did not approach the victim. He stated that he was in his car and the victim approached him.

Has anyone else heard this? It was the first i had heard of it. It sounds like baloney to me and irritated me to no end when I heard it.

Zimmerman's story changes to fit what he thinks will get him off. There is evidence that he was stalking the victim based on the police call and the victim's statement about her conversation just prior to the murder. Zimmerman is a liar.