Menu

If you're between 30-50, do you color your hair?

Do you color your hair?  

1. 1. Do you color your hair?

• Of course I color it! I have gray/white.
    • I love my gray/white hair and wear it proudly.
    • My hair is not going gray/white, but I like to color it anyway.
    • My hair has no gray/white and I don't mess with the color.
    • Other :)

I had to vote other as you left out his category....

Of course I color my hair because I like to, even though I have grey/white.

I have been coloring my hair since I was 12. All sorts of colors. I have been the same red palette for um, 20 years. Sometimes it is redder, sometimes more purple, sometimes it is coppery, usually I like a good bright, totally unnatural dark red.

I did several years of totally unnatural dark red, just because I liked it. :) Every once in a while someone would say "oh it looks so natural!" (because apparently that's what their mother taught them to say when discovering someone dyes her hair) and I'd think "are you on crack??"

These days I dye it more to cover the grey... not because I'm ashamed of grey, but because the pattern is just stupid. I don't mind the "Rogue" streak in front, but the skunk stripe down the back bugs me. :glare:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 3 mo shy of 40 and 50-75% gray ... not ready to deal with it yet, so I color it. My mom had her youngest child graduate from high school, became a grandmother and turned 50 all within a 2-3 month period and stopped coloring around then. Her hair is really pretty natural, but I'm just not ready for that look just yet myself.

I just turned 40 and have a fair amount of white hair. I'm a redhead so it blends pretty well, at times I've had people ask me if I got highlights. I think they are more being kind but it is more of a dulling of my natural color than very obvious grey.

I voted other because I wouldn't say I love the white hair or am proud of it but I have no plans to color. Mostly, I just know myself and know I would never keep up with it. I think colored hair looks fine and naturally grey can look fine but I think having the roots constantly showing looks bad, and that would be me. I need a very minimal approach. :)

I am 39 and just starting to get an appreciable amount of gray -- I have never colored my hair but I think I have about a year left before I will start. I know a lot of women who do not dye their salt-and-pepper hair and overall it's not a look I want to emulate. I have pretty much the exact same head of hair as my mother, and she colored her hair from her early forties until she was completely gray, sometime around age 60, at which point she cut her hair short and stopped dying. That's my general plan, too. At 70 my mom now has a lovely head of white hair.

Edited by JennyD

Started greying at 17, and now I have a big silver streak. I'm a total tomboy, and lazy to boot, so I've never colored as I know I wouldn't keep up with it. I often wear it in braids, and one of the three strands is pure silver, which I kind of like. If I were to have another child (at 43), I'm sure I'd get a ton of "grandma" comments!

I color. My natural color is so dark that the grays REALLY stand out- like I can see them glinting at me, mocking me from across the room when I pass by a mirror!

:iagree: I always said I would grow old gracefully when I was in my 20s, but now that I am approaching 40, and the grey is creeping in (mostly around my face in on my crown), the grey makes me feel old. I just can't accept it. :)

I voted other because I have a lot of gray hair...more every day GRRRR. But I am not about to get on the have to color every 6 weeks wagon either. I just don't have that in my budget. I have used home coloring before with disasterous results so I won't even go the $10 route. But, I don't love it and wear it proudly either. If I could afford to color it, I would and maybe as I get more gray than brown, I will dig pennies out of the couch.

I have naturally very dark brown hair, somewhat fair skin, and ZERO gray at 41. My mom is just starting to get a few grays at 65. So I've never colored my hair. But people, especially new stylists, comment on the color and ask where I've had it colored on a pretty regular basis. :tongue_smilie: And thank goodness, because I'm cheap and lazy and I can't imagine trying to keep up on hair coloring.

I have no gray or white yet (I'm 37). I'm hoping when it does happen that it'll be white. I'm a blonde, so I hope that's what I get! I don't plan to color it because I'm terrible at keeping up with my hair. When I get a haircut I don't get another one for several months, up to 2 years, even if it was a particular style (right now my hair is just long--no style. I need to do something about that). When I get a perm I don't get another one for years. I think it's been 4+ years since my last perm. I've been meaning to get a perm to give my hair a little bit of body or a slight wave, but I've been meaning to for over a year now. So dyeing probably wouldn't work for me.

I have lots of grey, and have been coloring my hair for over 20 years because of it. I went 'au naturel' for a while last year, but I thought it looked horrid. I really don't need to look older than I am, so I'll be coloring it for awhile yet.

I am almost 40 and I have a few white hairs here and there. Honestly, they don't bother me at all. I have colored before but only to try different hair colors but not to cover gray. I don't think that I will color in the future. My husband though, is very bothered by it. He doesn't like his gray hair and if he can visually see a gray hair on my head from a far, he wants to pull it out. I really don't get it though. Gray hair is natural.

I have no plans to color my hair. I am 42, and have been seeing some gray hairs in the last couple years, but anticipate a very, very slow progression of change, and if I have thick, snowy white hair (like my grandmothers did) when I'm in my 80's, I'll be pleased.

It's possible I'll feel different when I am noticeably gray, but I have a strong preference for natural over artificial . . . even when there's no discernible difference. Both my FIL and MIL dye their hair, and even though they are respectable-looking dye jobs, I just think it's a bit odd to see folks in their mid-70's with no gray at all.

I started getting very noticeable gray by the age of 21 and started coloring. My natural color was reddish brown, and I've been about every color in the brown/red spectrum in the last 20 years. I get it colored at a salon, but extend my visits by using Root touch--up. My roots are solid gray now at the age of 42, so I'm sure I would look like my grandmother if I stopped coloring today!

I've slid over the 50 hill, so I didn't vote in the poll. :-)

I started coloring my hair when the gray starting showing up--sometime in my late thirties.

As long as I can find the $$ for a box of hair color, my hair will be the color I want it to be.

(Fortunately, my bf is a former stylist, so I buy product and she cuts and colors my hair.)

I voted that I color because I have grey/white hair, but really I've colored my hair since my 20's, just because I wanted to. I had brown hair with lots of blond and red streaks naturally as a teen. But once I was in college and working and no longer outdoors all the time, it darkened to an dull, mousy brown and I hated it. So I've been coloring my hair auburn ever since. Since most of my family are natural red heads and I share their coloring, everyone is shocked if they learn my hair color is not natural. :)

My mom's red hair has not turned grey yet in her late 50's. Unfortunately, my genes took after my maternal grandmother instead, who was totally grey in her early 30's. So in my 30's I have continued to dye my hair faithfully, not only because I like it, but because otherwise I'd have lots of grey hairs. Since we have young children and are still having children, even though I am nearing 40, I don't intend to embrace my greys anytime soon. The only benefit is that the grey hairs dye lighter than the rest, so I get a bit of a highlighted look with my inexpensive at home color.

My dad went gray in his 20's. I had some gray in my 30's but it was easily disguised with highlights. I had too much in my 40's - so I color it and have for awhile. when my roots get too long, I can still see just how dingy my now natural color is. dh is in his 60's, and it's NOT fair! he only *now* has some gray at his temples/sideburns.:glare: (but he's a redhead and yeah, I think that's part of it.)

I'm 30 and starting to get some gray hairs. If they are wiry and sticking up, I pull them. Otherwise, I leave them.

I don't plan to dye my hair. I like the look of people going gray as they age. Why the need to look young when you're not? I plan to earn my wrinkles and gray hair. I think you can look classy while going gray if you dress well, have a good attitude, take care of your health, etc. Maybe if you're not doing these other things, gray hair can "age" you or make you look more tired.

My mother is 58 and has been dyeing for years. She's horrified that I don't plan to dye and is pretty certain I'll change my mind. We'll see. I wonder if she'll give it up when I'm going gray and she's still not?

My grandma is in her 70s and still dyes (a shade of red she never had); my father does not. She tells him not to admit he's her son in public because her friends will see how old he looks and know how old she is!:lol:

I am not going grey yet, I am 33. I have red hair, a light real ginger/copper color. I have been told because of the light shade I won't go grey but the red will just become less strong as I age until it ends up white. My sister is also a red head and has being going grey since her early 20s, its not too noticeable, her grey is beginning to increase into streaks rather than odd hairs. Her colour red is a very dark auburn. I know she has dyed it from time to time but currently doesnt.

I''m 43, have very dark brown hair (it used to be black when I was younger) and I'm completely grey at the temples and strands of grey over the rest. Its also very curly, thin and frizzy.

I don't dye as it would show immediately when I tie my hair back, but I've started going to the hairdresser regularly to have it blowdried and straightened. It costs US$10 and I have it done 2/3 times per month. The straight hair makes me look younger and much more professional.

I didn't vote, I'm just going to answer:

I'm in my late 30's (will turn 39 in May) and I've seen only very few stray, random gray/silvery hairs appearing so far. Maybe I've seen one like four or five times. I've plucked them! I did dye my hair red back around New Year's Eve but that was for fun not for covering anything up. I like it, and so does my husband. :D (My hair is usually a medium brown).

However, if my hair was going mostly gray/white at this stage, yes, I would totally color it regularly.

I voted other. I have patches of gray/white, not too bad, except one right at my right temple for whatever reason. It honestly doesn't bother me too much.

I have my hair highlighted, partly just cuz I think my natural color has gotten bland in my old age--dark and dingy, and to blend in the gray some. I used to color it with henna just cuz I liked the color.

:)

I *thought* I would just let nature take its course and not color, but once the grey actually started coming in more than just a few strands, I colored. It was definitely aging me ahead of my time :glare:.

I have light brown hair with a lot of blonde and red highlights naturally. I've used Nice and Easy color at home, but most recently, I had it done at a salon. She was able to do an all over base color and pump up my natural highlights to cover the grey. It looks great and very natural. I figure I'm worth a $65 cut and color every few months :001_smile:.

I'm almost 38, and I've plucked a few grey hairs out - but that's it. I'm blond, so some may be hiding in there.

I won't have any problem being grey/white, but I do think the transition phase may bother me. Blonds don't look so good when they're 1/2 and 1/2....

When that happens, I'll probably dye my hair to match the white/grey :)

I had significant grey that I started coloring it at 23. Grey/white starts very early in my family. My 19 y.o. son now is starting with a decent amount of grey in the front of his his hair :). He loves how much he gets from his dear mom <vbg>.

I finally decided I had enough with the every three weeks coloring about a year ago so I stopped and am letting the silver grow out, I'm about 99% silver/grey, but still have several inches of medium brown on the bottom since I wear it medium long so it doesn't look the best. My 8 y.o. has the hardest time with it. I'm 44.

When I was younger, my hair was a dark blond, then as I aged it went to a light brown (early teens), then to medium brown (20's) to now dark brown (25+). My skin tone is really better suited toward a lighter shade, so I color my base, and have since my mid-20's, up three shades to a medium brown and then add highlights to brighten and lighten the overall effect. I do it because I think it looks better lighter, not because I have gray hair.....overall, I might have 10-15 gray hairs, as per my stylist and my own observation when I have let me color go back during pregnancy since I prefer to not have chemical processes during pregnancy.

I voted other. I have dark brown hair, and I do have gray....mostly underneath so it's not always visible. But, it definitely is noticable against the dark hair. I pull them when I notice them....but that can also be a lot of pulling. I'm too afraid to permanently color my hair (I don't like how the roots look when hair grows in.....and my hair grows fast). Every couple of months I use a non permanent hair color. Which reminds me.....I need to do that again.

I've never colored my hair, but I am getting gray. I have a lot coming out of my temples and a little spread throughout. Because my hair is long, you usually can't see the temple parts much. My dh is almost completely gray at 45. He started turning gray in his early 20s.

As of now, I don't plan to color. I don't want the expense, and I can't stand the look of different color roots. I'm also thinking surely it can't be good for you with all those chemicals.

My dh says he likes the gray streaks on the side and thinks they are pretty. My thing is I don't want to wear my hair very short, and I don't know how long it will take to go completely gray which is probably prettier than in between.

I think these are good styles that aren't too short.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/hair/gray-hair

http://dailyviolets.blogspot.com/2010/04/gray.html

http://www.gallery.becomegorgeous.com/medium_long_hairstyles/medium_gray_hair_style-3954.html

Some grey, very dark hair, no dye ever

This. My greys are frizzy. I don't like that. I have a Keratin Treatment done for my frizzies every few months. It doesn't straighten my hair as I wish it would, but it's not as harsh as Brazilian Blowouts, etc. I don't think I'll ever color my hair. I sort of wear it proudly. I actually giggle inwardly when some start staring rudely. :lol: I have a friend who's always staring at my greys for a very long time. I find it funny. :D

I started going gray in my late 20's. My hair is mostly dark brown and in the sun it's a deep dark red.

All my gray hairs are in one spot - where my bangs would be if I had bangs. I actually like it. I call my grays my "skunk stripe". They look fake, like I had it done but it's 100% natural. :)

Mine's red. It has gotten a little blonder over the years but not a single grey/white hair. I'm 32.

You are very lucky! I love your hair!

I always thought redheads went gray early. That why there are so few red headed men. I know my red headed great grandpa went gray in his early 20's.

My DD14 is a red head and she's always has a few grays, but I do have to look for them. My niece is red headed and she as grays too.

Yes, I color mine. I'm 42 and the past 4 years that gray has really started to show. I still feel young at heart but when that gray shows (along with my yucky ashy blondish brown, I start to feel really old and I don't feel good about myself. So yes, I color it and as soon as I do, I feel 10 years younger. :001_smile: