Menu

Tomorrow I have to start calling about medical withdrawal

TravelingChris

My 18 yo dd is still not at all better. Today she fell out of the wheelchair and her brother found her in an odd position on the floor- looking like she was a Moslem praying to Allah- but that was only how she ended up on the floor. SHe is supposed to be registering for fall semester this Friday. Friday is when she may find out what is wrong with her (or may not). SHe has a visit with her neurologist to go over all the tests he has ordered. Since she isn't getting better and can't even reliably stay in a wheelchair, I can't see her going back to her dorm and her college experience this semester which ends in about six weeks. She can't drive, can't walk reliably, has to have either myself or her sister monitor her in the shower so she doesn't drown or hurt herself, etc. It is all just so hard for her and for the rest of the family. We don't know what this will mean for her scholarship. We don't know if the scholarship can be transferred to the local campus, if it comes to that. We just don't know.

My 18 yo dd is still not at all better. Today she fell out of the wheelchair and her brother found her in an odd position on the floor- looking like she was a Moslem praying to Allah- but that was only how she ended up on the floor. SHe is supposed to be registering for fall semester this Friday. Friday is when she may find out what is wrong with her (or may not). SHe has a visit with her neurologist to go over all the tests he has ordered. Since she isn't getting better and can't even reliably stay in a wheelchair, I can't see her going back to her dorm and her college experience this semester which ends in about six weeks. She can't drive, can't walk reliably, has to have either myself or her sister monitor her in the shower so she doesn't drown or hurt herself, etc. It is all just so hard for her and for the rest of the family. We don't know what this will mean for her scholarship. We don't know if the scholarship can be transferred to the local campus, if it comes to that. We just don't know.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry for both of you in going through this. Hope Friday brings some answers and that everyone's prayers are lifting you up in the meantime. Please keep your WTM family posted!

Wow. How horrible. i hope they find answers and fix this!

Oh Chris.....

This is all so heart-breaking....

Is there any way your dd might be able to take incompletes for her courses and finish them from home over the summer? This is a question I would at least ask of the school. Also -- is there any harm in having her register now for the fall in hopes that she might be able to heal over the summer. She could always drop the courses later if it turns out that she can't return.

We'll keep all of you in our prayers.

Brenda

Dear Christina,

I was trying to study externally in Australia while caring for a chronically sick child.

Once I got brave enough to go and ask for extensions as needed, they were provided with compassion and understanding. They were willing and able to make exceptions when I let them know what was happening. I was even able to withdraw, without academic penalty, during the final week of a subject following another long hospitalisation.

I eventually stopped trying to study and just concentrated on caring for and enjoying my girl/s.

Health was and is more important. Priorities change.

If you find someone not helpful, go higher. Those with more power can be less bound by regulations and none of you need this hanging over you too.

Hang in there. It is scary and heartbreaking. When you can take no more, you discover you just have to. Again and again.

My younger daughter feels special that she was able to help care for her big sister as she got sicker. The older daughter however, had to see it as a gift, letting her little sister help her. At first this had been hard for her until she saw it like that.

With compassion, Tracey

:grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry. Please, has she been checked for neuro-Lyme??? I know it is a long shot, but if the neuro finds nothing wrong, don't dismiss Lyme from causing these types of symptoms. My GF could not walk for weeks, and ds was incapacitated for almost 5 months. I know others with similar issues from Lyme. It is worth a look, especially in you live anywhere with small furry animals running around, not just deer.

I am praying for your family...

:grouphug:

So we know she doesn't have a brain tumor or anything neurological. Next stops will be rheumatologist and immunologist. Her regular doctor also suggested the Mayo clinic or Cleaveland Clinic or someplace like that. I will have to look into this.

She has one teacher who will definitely work with her to finish the semester. SHe is waiting on the others. She can't be at school but she could do work at home or locally here. On Monday, we will see about her summer session here. She can't get her major here so it isn't a long term solution (she wants to major in Economics) but she could do things like Spanish and Calculus here.

So we know she doesn't have a brain tumor or anything neurological. Next stops will be rheumatologist and immunologist. Her regular doctor also suggested the Mayo clinic or Cleaveland Clinic or someplace like that. I will have to look into this.

She has one teacher who will definitely work with her to finish the semester. SHe is waiting on the others. She can't be at school but she could do work at home or locally here. On Monday, we will see about her summer session here. She can't get her major here so it isn't a long term solution (she wants to major in Economics) but she could do things like Spanish and Calculus here.

Well at least a few possibilities have been eliminated.

I continue to send you and your daughter good thoughts for a quick resolution!

Jane

P.S. It really is OK if she takes the summer off. Gosh, I admire students who are driven, but she may need a break!