Menu

Usborne or Kingfisher science?

momtoamiracle

I love the Usborne First encyclopedias of series except the animal one. It doesn't seem as well organized as the others in my opinion.

And because we liked them so much, we naturally moved into the Usborne Science Encyclopedia when my older hit 3rd grade, and it has been fine.

But I love my Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. So if the science is as good as the history, it would probably be fine too.

I am no help :)

I've been posting about my poor Usborne encyclopedia issues the last few days.:tongue_smilie:

Summation from our home: love the Usborne first encyclopedias for my kids' current ages (about to turn 5 & 7). Next we will move into the Usborne Science and History encyclopedias (3rd/4th+). Kingfisher will be saved for later, although they are *my* personal favorite. If you have the red (history) Kingfisher, the yellow (science) is just the same - beautiful, full, etc. but way too much for the littles. Don't know if that helps you much, either.

We are pleased with usborne. I opted for usborne over kingfisher due to usborne's availability in cheaper paperback format. I might buy kingfisher in the future when it comes out in paperback. For now, usborne seems perfect for my dd's age, and at $13, a bargain! Besides saving money, the paperback editions aren't as heavy!

We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Encyclopedia-Usborne-Internet-Linked/dp/0794503683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332221662&sr=8-1

For your five year old, it would be just right. It's a compilation of several of the "First Encyclopedia of..." books plus some extra. It has some history as well, but lots of science topics.

We're about ready to add a higher level one, but we still like this one a lot!!

which one is best to get? Or should I get both? collecting references for science. I have the Kingfisher HIstory Encyclopedia and I have the Usborne Internet Linked Children's encyclopedia.

any advice on which I should get? usborne has lots of First Encyclopedia of...

The science curriculum I'm using for my 5yo uses Urborne's First Encyclopedia of Science. We fint it ok but a bit elementary. We always have to supplement it with Kingfisher.

I recommend the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. We have it. DD loves it and will read it page after page along with the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science...amazing. These will take you through to high-school. It will probably be over kill for a five year old...but why not start them early. :)

We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Encyclopedia-Usborne-Internet-Linked/dp/0794503683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332221662&sr=8-1

For your five year old, it would be just right. It's a compilation of several of the "First Encyclopedia of..." books plus some extra. It has some history as well, but lots of science topics.

We're about ready to add a higher level one, but we still like this one a lot!!

yes, I have the new, small edition of this one. It's beautiful and I love it!

I recommend the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. We have it. DD loves it and will read it page after page along with the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science...amazing. These will take you through to high-school. It will probably be over kill for a five year old...but why not start them early. :)

Do you need to buy a science curriculum on top of this? Or can you just pull topics from the book? That would be amazing.

Do you need to buy a science curriculum on top of this? Or can you just pull topics from the book? That would be amazing.

Both books could certainly serve as a core spine, and one could put a program together with tons of lab kits. But, these are reference books. I needed a bit more. Science, to me, is all about the scientific methods of systematic investigation and proof. I never trusted myself to go without good curriculum in Science.

Just to be clear I was originally refering to these books: KE and this Usborne book.

I think the OP was talking about the books for younger kids, but I got my big Kingfisher when dd was 4 and it has been a steady go-to for years.

The first usborne encyclopedia is a condensed version of the usborne encyclopedia (we have both). The former is probably good for preK- 1, and the latter is a reference book that will take you through elementary school.

Here's the link for the usborne science encyclopedia that I was referring to in my previous post, that is similar in size and layout to the usborne history encyclopedia used in SOTW.

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Science-Encyclopedia-Kirsteen-Rogers/dp/079453046X

Both books could certainly serve as a core spine, and one could put a program together with tons of lab kits. But, these are reference books. I needed a bit more. Science, to me, is all about the scientific methods of systematic investigation and proof. I never trusted myself to go without good curriculum in Science.

Just to be clear I was originally refering to these books: KE and this Usborne book.

I think the OP was talking about the books for younger kids, but I got my big Kingfisher when dd was 4 and it has been a steady go-to for years.

thanks!

Yes, I'm speaking of a young child - 5 yrs old. I have BFSU as my spine but I probably won't get deeply into it for first grade. I also have a Usborne science activities book. I want to do a bit of light stuff until next spring when he's 6.5. I'd like to solidify his reading, math, and writing skills so I'll be concentrating on that the first half of first grade with a smattering of science and history until the 2nd half. Might not make much sense but I really think that will work best for my son.

ah, soo many good books to choose from!

can you have too many reference books? LOL!