Menu

Summer School

zelli21

Here is the background…

My step-children are being homeschooled by their bio-mom. However, DH and I believe (friends/family have reaffirmed as well) that they are struggling with their 3Rs; on top of their report cards from the accrediting body reflecting it. Bio-mom refuses to communicate with us regarding anything school related. Given this, we’ve decided to work with them this summer to boost their skills.

We have twins in 2nd grade; one has dyslexia and the other ADHD, and the oldest is in 6th (plus a toddler). For the twins, we are planning on using Phonics Pathways (PP) and Reading Pathways (RP) for reading mixed with Hooked on Phonics (HOP) since we already own them and have started them on it. I’m also going to create cursive handwriting sheets using the Startwrite for each one and try to incorporate grammar lessons into it.

However, why I’m here is that I really need advice for spelling and math. We do own How to Teach Spelling (HTTS) but since that is not either of our stronger subjects and I can not for the life of me figure out how the manual relates to the workbooks, I’m not sure about using it. If someone can explain it to me, I’d much appreciate it. I’ve also been looking at All About Spelling (AAS) while much more expensive, it is open and go from the sound of it. Plus it seems easier to use with a younger child. (If it sounds like I’m trying to convince myself to get AAS; it’s because I think I am lol).

With regards to math, I’m looking for an easy program since they all struggle with it. It needs to something that is not super teacher intensive as both DH and I work full time (he’s in school full time too); however, I do work from home which gives me the opportunity to work with them. Plus it should something that we can accomplish over a summer. I’ve looked at Hooked on Math but I haven’t found any good samples to confirm it will work and be easy to use. It also needs to cover addition/subtraction for the twins and multiplication/division for the oldest without being overly costly. Other than that, I haven’t found a math program that fits the criteria.

It maybe overly ambitious to try to accomplish all of this in one summer but we have to do something to at least say we tried rather than waiting until it is too late.

Thanks for your support and advice.

Here is the background…

My step-children are being homeschooled by their bio-mom. However, DH and I believe (friends/family have reaffirmed as well) that they are struggling with their 3Rs; on top of their report cards from the accrediting body reflecting it. Bio-mom refuses to communicate with us regarding anything school related. Given this, we’ve decided to work with them this summer to boost their skills.

We have twins in 2nd grade; one has dyslexia and the other ADHD, and the oldest is in 6th (plus a toddler). For the twins, we are planning on using Phonics Pathways (PP) and Reading Pathways (RP) for reading mixed with Hooked on Phonics (HOP) since we already own them and have started them on it. I’m also going to create cursive handwriting sheets using the Startwrite for each one and try to incorporate grammar lessons into it.

However, why I’m here is that I really need advice for spelling and math. We do own How to Teach Spelling (HTTS) but since that is not either of our stronger subjects and I can not for the life of me figure out how the manual relates to the workbooks, I’m not sure about using it. If someone can explain it to me, I’d much appreciate it. I’ve also been looking at All About Spelling (AAS) while much more expensive, it is open and go from the sound of it. Plus it seems easier to use with a younger child. (If it sounds like I’m trying to convince myself to get AAS; it’s because I think I am lol).

With regards to math, I’m looking for an easy program since they all struggle with it. It needs to something that is not super teacher intensive as both DH and I work full time (he’s in school full time too); however, I do work from home which gives me the opportunity to work with them. Plus it should something that we can accomplish over a summer. I’ve looked at Hooked on Math but I haven’t found any good samples to confirm it will work and be easy to use. It also needs to cover addition/subtraction for the twins and multiplication/division for the oldest without being overly costly. Other than that, I haven’t found a math program that fits the criteria.

It maybe overly ambitious to try to accomplish all of this in one summer but we have to do something to at least say we tried rather than waiting until it is too late.

Thanks for your support and advice.

You could search the boards for the various spelling curriculum you mentioned. I know that AAS has been mentioned often.

If you post a specific question about math curricula needs I'm sure you will get lots of responses. Many people on this board love talking math curricula.

All About Spelling or Apples & Pears might work for you. Apples & Pears is designed for dyslexic and struggling students, plus it's just a TM and a workbook versus the cards, TM, and extras with AAS. I've used both, and AAS is very good (we're using it now, in fact) but I think you can accomplish more in less time with A&P.

As far as math, Math Mammoth may be the most independent of your options, all the teaching is in the student book, and you basically just have to be able to go over it with them if they don't understand. Teaching Textbooks is another option, I just don't have any firsthand experience with it. Are they just struggling with math facts, money or some other area, or everything? There are a number of resources for practicing facts, we used Two Plus Two is Not Five for addition and subtraction and the corresponding multiplication/division book is Five Times Five is Not Ten, plus there are games like Timez Attack (free!) and Math Rider.

All About Spelling sounds like a great choice.

What about Math-U-See for math? It's not super cheap, but if you could find the Teacher's guides and DVDs used (here on the sale board, or ebay, or whatever), then you only have the blocks and activity guides (IDK if the blocks could be shared? Maybe if they took turns?).

I would recommend Math-u-See for math. Alpha covers basic addition and subtraction facts, Beta covers long addition and subtraction with carrying and borrowing. Gamma covers everything multiplication and Epsilon covers division. It's very easy to do and also easy to cover more quickly than normal. Given that there's usually 30 lessons, you'd probably need to move through 2-3 lessons a week, which is doable if they're getting it okay.

I don't have suggestions for the other subjects.

I also suggest you look at MathUSee. It has been particularly helpful for us as a math program suitable for a child with reading difficulties. Delta covers division. Epsilon: fractions. ...

If they "get it" they can move along faster and not do all the practice pages...if more of a struggle, there are quite a lot of practice pages--especially if you include the tests as being extra possible practice. It does need some parent involvement (more that Teaching Textbooks, I think), but is a very good program. When I am busy and cannot help right then, my son does what he can of MUS on his own and leaves ones he cannot do for when I can help. I think they definitely could share the manipulative blocks--in fact, I think they could work together with the manipulative blocks as well take turns.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've checked out MUS since it got an overwhelming approval (I'm was actually suprised since most people seem to suggest Saxon or Singapore). I like the idea of the video since it given an alternative person explaning it. I've also looked at Mathtacular and Math Tutor videos as tools for additional explainations; maybe no one has explained it in a way that makes sense to them. We've tried teaching on fingers and with beans but they still are struggling with the concepts and facts.

I love that A&P samples are the entire book! I wish everyone did that; it would make it much easier to decide if a program is right or not. I'm going to look at it further to see if that is a better choice over AAS.

I think MUS was the overwhelming suggestion because you need a non-scripted program since you don't have 180 days to devote and you need something less teacher intensive (as Saxon or Rightstart or others might be). But Mathtacular or Math tutor might be fun too, I'm not too familiar with them. You might even consider a Rightstart Abacus and math games, I love the way Rightstart explains addition and multiplication and the games are much more fun for learning facts. Of course, you could not do an entire Rightstart program in the summer, nor are they very focused on one subject of math (addition or multiplication) as MUS is, so that would never work. But the abacus and games might be enjoyed by all of your children.