Menu

Does anyone use Voyages in English?

justLisa

It doesn't seem to be so popular or have many reviews, and I am wondering why? Or maybe I just don't see them.

This looks like the perfect curriculum for us. We are going through FLL3 this year, and I am NOT interested in using FLL4. The scripted nature of it drives us both bonkers and DS does well with more independent study now that he is a little more mature.

So if you DO use it, do you like it? I'm afraid to ask if anyone hates it, since I thought I made up my mind LOL

I used it in first grade and was not impressed. It expected too much too soon and is of the quantity above quality mindset as far as teaching writing. I threw it out and went to FLL and never looked back. Yeah, the scripting is sometimes a bit much, and when it is, I change it a bit. We're in 3 now.

For us, we loved the look at the samples and DS really wanted it when given the choices and looking at samples with me. The cost was prohibitive, and we went with Rod and Staff 4 because of that.

My DS by the prior used FLL1-4, and by the end he was done with scripting, and I was not impressed with the results of that choice for him. He seems to need Rod and Staff drilling over and over ad nauseam.

I wish I could have seen VIE in person though to make a better decision.

Well, we are working through FLL3, and we have both decided we just do not want to use it again next year.

I'm not trying to tell you to stay with FLL 3.

Our experience with VIE for first grade was that they wanted paragraphs immediately and quickly ramped up. There was little review or explanation. It was almost as though the child were expected to know grammar and writing skills before beginning. It was more of a fast review, and inappropriate for the age of the child IMO. There have to be options that are better than VIE but not FLL.

We use the workbooks from the voyages curriculum. I don't think the text and all it includes would have been a good fit for us, but the workbooks alone have been. We use FLL in our group time, and DS9 has done a combo of Winston and Voyages (workbooks) for his independent work this year.

Well RATS. I officially detest the thought of language arts next year. The problem is we BOTH want something that is not scripted by me, but everything is either Christian or totally busy work. I know there are many WWW and GWG users, heck I actually have them, but I am just not impressed with them at all.

Our experience with VIE for first grade was that they wanted paragraphs immediately and quickly ramped up. There was little review or explanation. It was almost as though the child were expected to know grammar and writing skills before beginning. It was more of a fast review, and inappropriate for the age of the child IMO. There have to be options that are better than VIE but not FLL.

We actually WILL be finishing FLL3 t his year. I just don't want to do FLL4, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from here.

We just started with VIE 5 once we finished FLL4. For the record, I do not use it for writing; for us, it is solely a grammar program. Because of that, I bought the workbooks for the 2011 version from Loyola, but bought the textbook (2006 edition, IIRC) used on Amazon for a fraction of the price. They don't line up exactly, but it is good enough that I have something for an oral lesson (the VIE textbook) and then the workbook for them for independent practice. Both my older boys (they are both doing VIE 5) miss FLL, but for my choices, I am fine with VIE through 8th grade. (We also tried Growing with Grammar when I was pregnant with dd, but none of us liked it; I don't want a religious program - the editions of VIE from '99 and beyond, and maybe even back in the '80s are secular - as I don't want to correct doctrinal differences between them and us (Catholic).) So ... as much as we all liked FLL, VIE is working fine for now and buying the textbook used on Amazon and only using the workbook helped keep the cost down considerably.

Homeschool Buyers Co-op has VIE on sale twice a year. A sale should be coming soon:)

Also, the whole text of Voyages in English can be seen at Loyola Press web site. I think it is fantastic.

Loyola Press also sells Exercises in English which will also be on sale by Homeschool Buyers Co-op as well when VIE is on sale. Many schools use it as a stand alone for grammar.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that SWB recommends skipping the writing portion of VIE, and Rod & Staff.

That FLL works so well for us but not so much for you is a testiment to the hsing movement, where we can match the tools we use to our individual child's learning style. I love, love, love it when parents make the effort to do what will serve their child best instead of just dropping off and letting someone else worry about it. :cheers2: to all of you that make the extra effort. (Btw, that's the beverage of your choice.)

Yeah, I forgot to mention that SWB recommends skipping the writing portion of VIE, and Rod & Staff.

That FLL works so well for us but not so much for you is a testiment to the hsing movement, where we can match the tools we use to our individual child's learning style. I love, love, love it when parents make the effort to do what will serve their child best instead of just dropping off and letting someone else worry about it. :cheers2: to all of you that make the extra effort. (Btw, that's the beverage of your choice.)

Jim, FLL3 actually IS working for us. We have retention and it is quick/thorough, however DS and I have just collectively decided we do not want to continue next year wtih the same type of thing. He is taking initiative to tell me he would like to try something he can mainly do on his own so I really want to nurture that. AND, I have a DD in 1st next year requiring more of my time than this year. I actually am grateful for FLL because doing it together in this short, repetitive manner has been helpful.

Ok, so skip the writing portion of VIE, got it. I looked through the (quite extensive) samples online and I really like it.

So now I just have to figure out where to go with writing.

I have VIE third grade workbook, and I also skip the writing portion entirely. I use the grammar portion as a resource and for explaining, as we encounter grammar in our PLL and in ds' writing in general. I can see using third grade as a resource even in fourth, as many of the concepts are just repetition.

OK, I feel like I'm telling a dirty little secret but it's part of "the kitchen sink" portion of the language resources listed in my signature. I use it with DS9. We *gasp* like it. He likes the workbook. We are using 3rd grade (started at this level this year) and it's good, solid instruction. He even likes the writing. I like that it is typical (and the feeling that if I get hit by a bus next week, he could go to school and not struggle in that regard). Philosophically, I'm more of a WWE/MCTLA/Brave Writer Lifestyle kind of girl. Pragmatically, this is working for DS9. It would potentially kill DD :lol:, but you do what works with each kid, right? :)

Jim, FLL3 actually IS working for us. We have retention and it is quick/thorough, however DS and I have just collectively decided we do not want to continue next year wtih the same type of thing. He is taking initiative to tell me he would like to try something he can mainly do on his own so I really want to nurture that. AND, I have a DD in 1st next year requiring more of my time than this year. I actually am grateful for FLL because doing it together in this short, repetitive manner has been helpful.

Ok, so skip the writing portion of VIE, got it. I looked through the (quite extensive) samples online and I really like it.

So now I just have to figure out where to go with writing.

Probably not what you want to hear, but we are using WWE 2 (with ds#2 ... I started him half-way through it as his listening comprehension could use some help) and WWS 1 with ds#1. I really like the philosophy of the programs and had put them aside for a while thinking IEW would do it for us. But, overall, WWE/WWS work very well for both my older two boys.

Probably not what you want to hear, but we are using WWE 2 (with ds#2 ... I started him half-way through it as his listening comprehension could use some help) and WWS 1 with ds#1. I really like the philosophy of the programs and had put them aside for a while thinking IEW would do it for us. But, overall, WWE/WWS work very well for both my older two boys.

I totally agree with you. We will finish up FLL3 and WWE2 soon. I just know we both don't want to do it again next year. I feel like I need something between WWE and just letting him loose to write about whatever.....and *I* am a TERRIBLE writing teacher. It's just not in me. We do the same thing day after day in WWE, and he definitely wants to do something different. He is to the point where he can read anything, give me a great narration, and write it down. His writing has improved a great deal, just from being able to physically handle more, and with more speed.

I am *so* lost as to what to do. I can't just wing it anymore. I am totally burnt out from hand tailoring every single subject we use. I spend every waking minute writing and planning lessons, and it is just wearing me out :( I'm usually not a whiner LOL!

I am *so* lost as to what to do. I can't just wing it anymore. I am totally burnt out from hand tailoring every single subject we use. I spend every waking minute writing and planning lessons, and it is just wearing me out :( I'm usually not a whiner LOL!

:grouphug: Just try it. You might love it. Or you will like it fine for what it does and it will get the job done. That's OK. :)

OK, I feel like I'm telling a dirty little secret but it's part of "the kitchen sink" portion of the language resources listed in my signature. I use it with DS9. We *gasp* like it. He likes the workbook.

<snip>

I like that it is typical (and the feeling that if I get hit by a bus next week, he could go to school and not struggle in that regard). Philosophically, I'm more of a WWE/MCTLA/Brave Writer Lifestyle kind of girl.

:iagree: I am almost embarrassed to mention it. It's our kitchen sink, too. We use MCT/WWS/KISS etc and VIE workbooks.

This year we used the textbook and workbooks.

I'm considering Exercises in English or Hake for next year.

I like that the VIE workbooks include daily maintenance, but I wish the sentences were better. EIE has better sentences, but I don't see much review. We've had a good experience with VIE, but I am seriously considering Hake.

• 2 months later...
Guest ap95

What is the difference of Voyages in English vs. Exercises in English, both from Loyola press. I know that the WTM recommends not to do the writing prompts in VIE and from what I can tell Exercises in English is just the grammar portion. Is it a complete grammar program? Has anyone out there just used EIE for grammar. Trying to find a follow-on to FLL 1-4.

I used it for 4th grade, but didn't stick with it. I liked that it was thorough. Had to have dd skip some sections because it was too much (she didn't need it all).

I think it's pretty pricey new. I had an old student edition and no TE and it worked fine for that level.

I totally agree with you. We will finish up FLL3 and WWE2 soon. I just know we both don't want to do it again next year. I feel like I need something between WWE and just letting him loose to write about whatever.....and *I* am a TERRIBLE writing teacher. It's just not in me. We do the same thing day after day in WWE, and he definitely wants to do something different. He is to the point where he can read anything, give me a great narration, and write it down. His writing has improved a great deal, just from being able to physically handle more, and with more speed.

Maybe you want to go with CLE for a subject or two. Their English is very good. Our kids liked having the small workbooks to complete.

• 4 months later...

Well, for what it's worth, I agree with you about first grade. We do not do LA like that in 1-2. However, the first and second grade books are very different from the 3rd-8th grade program, and the writing portion is even different from the grammar portion. I'm pulling the writing genres covered in ViE into our writer's workshop, but I would not teach writing from ViE. Too public schooly and not enough explicit, useful instruction as to what makes good writing. As I have said before though, I do appreciate knowing typical grade level expectations, because of the whole "what if I get hit by a bus?" kind of worry. :tongue_smilie:

:) Looking for more info.

I am using ViE4 with DS9 and ViE3 with DD (used with DS9 last year and really thought it wouldn't work for her but, go figure, she likes it too). I also have the ViE6 text already because I found a great deal. Any specific questions?

OK, I feel like I'm telling a dirty little secret but it's part of "the kitchen sink" portion of the language resources listed in my signature. I use it with DS9. We *gasp* like it. He likes the workbook. We are using 3rd grade (started at this level this year) and it's good, solid instruction. He even likes the writing. I like that it is typical (and the feeling that if I get hit by a bus next week, he could go to school and not struggle in that regard). Philosophically, I'm more of a WWE/MCTLA/Brave Writer Lifestyle kind of girl. Pragmatically, this is working for DS9. It would potentially kill DD :lol:, but you do what works with each kid, right? :)

Oh, and look at me now! I put it in my signature! It's first, as a matter of fact. First to get done, first in the sig... Live and learn... :tongue_smilie::lol: We actually make it fun here. :001_smile:

OP, what did you decide for grammar/writing this year?

Oh, and look at me now! I put it in my signature! It's first, as a matter of fact. First to get done, first in the sig... Live and learn... :tongue_smilie::lol: We actually make it fun here. :001_smile:

OP, what did you decide for grammar/writing this year?

LOL...this made me laugh because I thought of everything I went through liking and not liking.

We are using IEW and loving it. MCT for grammar right now because I'm trying to focus on more writing.

Funny to look back at old threads!

LOL...this made me laugh because I thought of everything I went through liking and not liking.

We are using IEW and loving it. MCT for grammar right now because I'm trying to focus on more writing.

Funny to look back at old threads!

It is funny! I am starting IEW here too, after justamouse linked this FREE Pudewa talk, Teaching Boys and Other Kids Who Would Rather Be Playing in Forts. DH and I just loved it. I don't know how long it has been since I felt so gushy about a talk...maybe since I watched the MCT videos at RFWP. :lol: ViE is quick and easy, at about 15 minutes a day during the kids' one-on-one time with me in the afternoons. We are still loving MCTLA here too, but it is done in the morning, all cuddly on the couch during group work. I like having my cake and eating it too. :tongue_smilie:

It is funny! I am starting IEW here too, after justamouse linked this FREE Pudewa talk, Teaching Boys and Other Kids Who Would Rather Be Playing in Forts. DH and I just loved it. I don't know how long it has been since I felt so gushy about a talk...maybe since I watched the MCT videos at RFWP. :lol: ViE is quick and easy, at about 15 minutes a day during the kids' one-on-one time with me in the afternoons. We are still loving MCTLA here too, but it is done in the morning, all cuddly on the couch during group work. I like having my cake and eating it too. :tongue_smilie:

I love that one. I could start a Pudewa fan club :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I know SWB rec's VIE for a secular alternate but what about EIE? Does it have less to it...review, explanations, etc.? I do not want a 'here's the rule, now do 20 sentences exactly the same'

EIE 3rd grade which my boy is using is very workbook style. Basically on top of the page is a box stating the rule/defination and than the rest of the page is the exercises.

My boy picks up grammar from the books he reads and he just finish the EIE homework the virtual academy gives very fast.

Does anyone use the writing lessons, too? I am just thinking it is a lot of money to use only half of it. Can it be used a grade ahead?

It can be used a year ahead. It's a good candidate for combining children close in age. I have 3, 4, and 6 and they are remarkably similar, building on previous topics every year.

Have you seen the scope and sequence and lesson plans on Loyola's site? They also have samples of ViE (which are easy to find) and samples of EiE (which seem to be buried and a bit trickier to find). My impression is that the coverage of material in EiE is the same as that in ViE but just less. In ViE, the topic for each section is introduced in the textbook, with an explanation of the concept and examples. Then there are several exercises to give kids the chance to practice and master the concept. We do these orally, as I think my kids' actual writing time is better spent writing rather than rewriting from workbook exercises. Then the kids do their practice book page.

As to the writing, I use it more for an outline of what to teach, things to fold into our writer's workshop. I love having the safety net of a typical S&S. I love that it covers things that I might forget to cover altogether. I do not love the actual teaching and the practice book exercises for the writing section are mostly a waste of time, in my opinion. I do not feel that it was a waste at all though, as it is educational for me as teacher. Yes, the instruction can be dry, typical PS stuff. But there is much that is useful.