Menu

What next for Reading?

amyk

My 7 year old is almost done with 20 Easy Lessons and is coming along as a reader, but is not reading well enough to graduate to reading on his own. I wonder if anyone has any ideas about what to do next? I have never been in this situation before, my others were ready to read independently when they finished their reading lesson book (100 Easy Lessons, which we started with him, but switched from because he was too reliant on the extra marks).

Any suggestions?

Lorisuewho, have you used Christian Light? Is it individual books or a reader like McGuffey?

Thanks so much for responding!

We are using CLE right now. The books have multiple stories in them like a reader. We really need the controlled vocabulary right now these provide. He just isn't quite ready to pick up any beginner book and be able to read it on his own.

We didn't buy them in a pack but a few at a time as I found them in local bookshops and on Amazon. DD's school had an Usborne book fair in addition to the traditional Scholastic one so I was also able to get some that way. We started with level 2 (which was a little too easy but built confidence) and 3 first readers (not the young reader series!) and by the time she finished the level 4s I felt comfy shoving her into early chapter books. You can preview them on Amazon to see which level would be the best fit.