Menu

No plan survives contact with the enemy! Sigh.

KirstenH

Last week, you all were awesome in critiquing my initial plan for the gifted 7-year-old I'm pulling from public school in a couple of weeks. Alas, no plan survives contact with the enemy ... in this case, the enemy being me. After some of the things I thought would work arrived, I realized they're just not for us. Saxon 5/4 is going back (way too slow-paced, albeit thorough). WWE1 is going back (too easy even for my pencil-loathing guy). And after careful re-evaluation, I've even changed my mind about our social studies/LA spine for the rest of the year/this summer.

So, without further adieu, here is my newly revised plan for DS7. How's it look? (At this point, I'm fully committed to everything but Science, but if anyone has used any of this, I would really appreciate any tips, tricks, hints or words of wisdom/warning you'd like to share!)

Social Studies/Language Arts: WinterPromise 'Children Around the World' w/Language Arts 3. I know this program is a miss for a lot of people because of the mature themes, but I am SO not a shelterer, and we'll adjust on the fly to keep things age-appropriate. I really feel DS needs to understand that he is incredibly privileged, and develop some perspective and awareness of the harsher realities children in some other parts of the world must face. Beyond that, though, the program overall just looks like a good, fun, sweeping introduction to world geography and culture ... which can only help when I switch over to a 4-year history model (TOG Year 1) after we finish. When I looked over the LA sample on the website, I was quite pleased with it, and it looks like a good fit to his skill level. The fact that it ties into what we're learning is bonus. As for handwriting, on the recommendation of pretty much everyone here, we're going with Handwriting Without Tears 3.

Math: Singapore 3A+3B, with Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems as needed. The day this arrived, we both fell deeply, madly in love with it. He's been doing page after page after school just for fun, and I can already see how it's stretching his brain to think better and smarter when it comes to solving problems. This program, at least for us so far, is everything everyone said it was. WIN!

Science: Intellego Unit Studies, starting with Geology.

Art/Music: Artistic Pursuits 1 and Drum Lessons (his request ... I'm going to need earplugs!).

Religion: Faith and Life 2 (Sacrament Prep ... due to multiple factors, he's behind his class here).

So, that's it. Thanks for ALL your help as I researched and planned this. You all are awesome. This forum is a treasure, and so are the people who post here.

Oh, P.S.! Something else cool: When I had originally planned to homeschool him for Kindergarten, I bought curriculum that I loved, but wasn't a great fit for him (and we ended up sending him to school anyway). I meant to sell it, but never did ... so it's just been collecting dust in the closet for three years. I pulled it out this morning to see what I had and whether I could sell it, and realized it's a perfect fit for my youngest, who may well want to learn alongside big brother while we work! I noticed that FIAR might lend itself very easily to being combined with WP CATW (in a highly modified form, obviously). I'll let you all know if my plan for this works.

Edited by KirstenH

It looks good. Have you looked at Guesthollow science? It's a human body study was put together by a board member here to complement WP Children Around the World. He might enjoy it. I'm tentatively planning to use it as a guide for science next year.

It looks good. Have you looked at Guesthollow science? It's a human body study was put together by a board member here to complement WP Children Around the World. He might enjoy it. I'm tentatively planning to use it as a guide for science next year.

I hadn't heard of it! That sounds great; I'll definitely look into it. Thank you!