Menu

Science & History ... to do one per semester or all year round?

mommy5

I'm trying to figure out what will work best for this ... to focus on one of these subjects per quarter/term/semester or splitting up my week and doing 2 days of one and 2 days of another. I will soon have a newborn & toddler along with my 3 school age kids.

I do reading, handwriting, phonics, language arts, math every day of the week. I would like to be doing Bible (as soon as I decide on the curriculum) most days as well - which will include read-alouds and at the very least some mapwork... and we do geography many days (scheduled for 5 days but usually finish early).

We spend one day doing catch-up on anything we are behind on ... plus nature study, art, music ...

I still have American History and Apologia Science ... and really I only do these with my 2nd grader. WWYD?

If it were me, I would alternate weeks, to give myself enough time to do one good project or experiment and really get into it (sometimes longer, maybe) and try to tie the history and science together thematically with each other and/or something we are reading. But I'm not sure that what I would do would be useful to you at all. I tend to like to improvise and am happy to rearrange things to make a new idea work. That may not be your personal preference or it may not work with the changes in your family. Some people find that they need more formal structure when they have more children to manage (especially infants and toddlers) and some find exactly the opposite - that they need more wiggle room. If you need the wiggle room, go with one subject for per term. If you need the structure to keep you focused, alternate more frequently.

If I were you, I would think about whether you find a very formal structure soothing or source of anxiety. And be ready to change your mind when the baby comes.

We have done things a couple of different ways. We do some unit studies so I will do a science unit and then a history unit. Now we do it a little differently. We do science 2-4 times a week and history/geography 3-4 times a week. Sometimes we will do both in a day (for about 15-20 minutes each). Sometimes we will spend 45 minutes on one or the other. It really just depends on the day. Just play around with it and see what works for your family.

If I were you, I would think about whether you find a very formal structure soothing or source of anxiety. And be ready to change your mind when the baby comes.

:iagree:

I would suggest alternating weeks. That way, they both get done frequently, but if you have to take a break and just do the 3R's for a while, you won't get severely behind in history or science (as you would if you did one semester of each). And, you can tie-in history and science. And, you can really focus on one topic each week.

I would drop Apologia, letting nature study be your science. I'd do history 2 or 3 days a week.

Pretty soon you'll be able to drop handwriting, too--once they know the letters, they can practice by doing history narrations/LA copywork/writing letters to G'ma, etc. That should free up some time.

But that's just me. :001_smile:

I like the idea of doing History/Geography one week, and Science the next. We are currently doing Science on Monday, History/Geography on Tuesday and Wednesday, and Science again on Thursday. It is working well, but I think I'll try all History this week and Science the next and see which way we like better.

We have Bible, Math, reading, copywork/dictation/narration, memorization and read-alouds daily. I simply cannot do History, Geography and Science each and every day. Or at least do it and still have happy littles. :001_smile:

We too will soon have 5 under 10!