Menu

Personal Fitness Trainer....Horse people, anyone? Help me, pleeeeeeeease!

Here I am taking horseback riding lessons with my dd. She is in her 3rd year and I'm in my 2nd.

Over the years I've put on weight and the older I get, the more difficult it is to lose weight, tone, etc.

I exercise 5 times a week at 30 min. My doctor wants me to lose weight and I'm trying...... I'm trying to go to 45 min. at least 5 days, but am told to try for 6 days. That would be quite a jump for me in length of daily routine AND number of workouts in a week. But, I'm trying. And, I try to use bands 10 min for 3 days a week. I was told to increase to 20-30 minutes at 3 days a week. Unfortunately, the day slips by and as my doctor said it's too easy to not exercise and that's why the latest recommendation is as early in the day as possible. OK, I can see that.

And, I'm watching 'better" what I eat. Not perfect, but better.

Here's my question regarding fitness and horseback riding. As a beginner I'm still on the easy horse. The saddle is high. I can hardly lift my leg to dismount properly. My legs are bigger...not lean legs.

What exercises would you recommend so that when I'm ready to dismount, my leg will "lift" and clear the back of the saddle and I'll be able to swing my leg around the back of the saddle and bring down in a dismount?