Menu

Secular Science

Creek Edge Press has earth science task cards for $20. You pick which books to use, they provide the outline of assignments and tasks. You can see samples if you go to the Home tab and click Gallery.

There's also Intellego if you want to keep the kids separate. Most of the program is done through links on the computer and the parent guide is sold as a pdf. We're using their astronomy for 6-8 right now and as hesitant as I was that it would work, it has been absolutely wonderful for my son.

I haven't seen very many secular earth science curricula I really liked for late elementary (I am picky about it), but Intellego and REAL Science Odyssey are all right.

IMO if you want to go inexpensive for earth science, I'd get a couple books like Geology Rocks and a book about the geology of your area, and then fill in with field trips and good, engaging books from the library.

I have strong opinions about this stuff which you can read on my blog if you are interested but I'll stay off my soapbox for now. :)

The book Science Smart http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/140270514X (it has a section on geology) with a decent rock kit, Happy Scientist videos, weekly nature walks and living books such as "Rocks in his Head" should be plenty at those ages. I would use BFSU's earth science threads (I already use it) to introduce the lessons and tie earth science with the other sciences.

I've been picking up old Prentice Hall Science and Science Explorer textbooks. They are all topic specific and secular. Depending on how old the edition you get is, sometimes the research is less than cutting edge, but the experiments are excellent and the content is first rate. They're aimed at middle school, but they are easy to summarize. In our family, we are better off with a curriculum that is more advanced than we need so that my knowledge is refreshed before I have to answer questions. As an added bonus, I was able to pick up most of the textbooks for less than $5 each.

My 6th grader is using CPO and my first grader is using RSO, both earth and space science.

The two programs work together very well. They have very similar units/chapters. I am able to keep the boys doing the same basic topic (plate tectonics, solar system, etc) at the same time. It has been a very nice year for science.

Doodle is finishing up Mr Q's Earth Science. We have both enjoyed it. I purchased it last year during his 50% off sale.

You missed the 50% of sale, so you would have to pay 50 dollars for it. BUt you can try out Mr. Q science life science for free to see if you like it.

We are only on chapter 2 of Earth science, so I can't say anything detailed about it. (my dh makes a audio recording of it and he hasn't been able to record this his voice was a teeny bit off so he has to wait till its perfect before recording more. )