Menu

I think I may be dyslexic

Ok, yesterday I posted about help for ds7. A few people recommended a website and I went there to read some and watched a couple of videos.

When Susan Barton was describing the mild symptoms of dyslexia in adults, I can definitely see myself in most of them. There were maybe a couple that didn't fit me (I'm a pretty good speller and I learned a foreign language without any problems, in fact, that was best subject.)

I feel kinda sad. I don't know. It's not like this is an official diagnosis, but I feel sad that maybe I am dyslexic and it would explain so many school-related issues that I had.

Anyway, thanks to all who responded. I'll be making appt's on Monday morning.

That is sad that you struggled and didn't get the help you needed. :grouphug:

But, how nice that your son gets the benefit of your experience and understanding.

Well, I often struggle if I'm even qualified to teach my ow dc. So now I'm feeling a little more discouraged than usual. :( i guess I just need some time to get used to this.

:iagree:

After my DS11 was diagnosed, my DH realized he's also dyslexic. Looking back, I think two of our three girls also have a mild form of dyslexia.

The same thing happened to my DH when we went to see a talk given by Susan Barton. He thought he just hated to read. He does...but now we know why!

Well, I often struggle if I'm even qualified to teach my ow dc. So now I'm feeling a little more discouraged than usual. :( i guess I just need some time to get used to this.

I went through a similar "mourning" period when I was diagnosed with ADHD. There were tears [on my part, I mean]. It was very traumatic in a way I wouldn't have understood if someone else had told me it happened to them. I was angry and scared for my DSs because of the hereditary component, and of course started seeing signs of ADHD in my elder son. I read voraciously for a while trying to understand and get a handle on it.

My therapist was very skeptical of me home-schooling. I did it anyway, but went into it knowing that my ADHD was going to be a challenge I needed to work around in order to keep everything going. It's hard some days, but I just keep reminding myself of where we're going and seeing what little steps DS is making in that direction.

All this to say, I sorta get what you're going through, and :grouphug: :group hug: You can still do it. <3

Actually, this could make you a better teacher.

First, recognize how smart you are. Being dyslexic means you've had to work extremely hard to get where you are and you've had to work around your disability, enhancing other skills to compensate.

Second, since you have a child who may have the same or a similar learning profile, you understand it. You will understand you child's frustration. And the best thing is you are beginning to find the tools to help him/her deal with the frustration.

The bonus is in finding tools for your child you may help yourself too.

What you cannot do is let this dig into your self esteem and make you doubt the talents you have. It is possible to use this information to enhance your homeschool.

Thank you for the hugs and encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

I was trying to talk to DH about this, but he doesn't get it. Just says it will be ok. He, like most other people, thinks dyslexia is simply the reversals of letters and seeing words backwards. He's not interested in learning what it actually is.

:(

I think my DH & my FIL both have dyslexic traits. DH had learning issues, particularly in math, during elementary school. He reads very slowly and needs time to process large amounts of information. I have found however, that he often does a much better job in describing mathematical concepts to our kids. They think in similar ways. Luckily, DH is extremely stubborn and went on to get a Ph.D. and has a great career as an adult.

I think of myself more and more as a facilitator in my kids' education. I do not have to be the one directly providing all the information to them, but I do support them in finding the information available. As they are going into high school we are using more outside sources and my kids, who previously disliked any kind of group classes or schoolish work, are doing very well.

:grouphug:

ETA: I know you are saying you find your DH's response to be minimizing the issue...but things probably will be OK. :)

Edited by Trilliums

BTDT! Finding out that I am dyslexic as an adult was quite a shocker! My emotions ranged from relief to anger and everything in between. Hugs to you as you sort it all out! :grouphug:

But in the mean time, YOU are more than qualified to teach! You will have a level of grace and understanding that can not be learned or taught without having walked in dyslexic shoes! Or as we like to say in our house… going through life in Elvis’s jeans! (Which refers to my son asking why his Levi jeans have a tag on them that says Elvis? And then me saying, that's weird, why do they say that? And both of us are like :confused: and then :001_huh: and then :lol: )

Your understanding and acceptance of yourself will be one of the best lessons your children will learn. :grouphug:

I know I have had a similar experience. I was always a good reader, so even though I could not read well out loud, no one ever suspected a problem. Until I tried to learn to read music. Whatever strategies I was using totally failed me. When I learned more about dyslexia as an adult, it was like looking down a checklist. I was stunned and a little bit angry. I understand the emotional response you are having. But you will adjust, and now you may understand yourself and your kiddo. Here's to thinking differently!

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words! :)

I always thought that the reason I couldn't memorize things like phonic rules, grammar rules, or math formulas was due to just having a bad memory.

I also can't read music notes for the life of me.. I love music, I just can't make any myself.

And...can't read a map to save my life or find my way around. I like to take one way to get somewhere and that's the only way I'll ever take or I'll get completely overwhelmed!!

I do remember when I was maybe around 7 years old and I was finally able to sing the alphabet song. I remember being very proud of myself.

And I also remember the difficulties I had trying to tie my shoes.

And the list goes on...