Menu

When do we file the FAFSA?

Before or after acceptance? Dd19 hasn't applied anywhere yet but she has three state colleges in mind. We were waiting until she finished her last class and her transcript will be complete. That should be in May. But I feel like we should start the financial aid process right now.

The FAFSA for the 2012/13 school year went online January 1.

Fall applications are closed at many colleges. Is she planning on matriculating in January 2013 or is she applying to a community college with an open admissions policy? The usual rule is to check with the college for specific deadlines.

Do it now. The schools you apply to need the info to give you a financial aide package. Eventually the money is gone. Go ahead and apply to schools now. You can turn in her final grades at the end of the school year. Some schools have already passed their cut off dates. I would drop some school work if necessary until she gets her essays written for college admission. It's a pain but can be done. :)

I think the deadline is in June, but be aware that many colleges have the deadline WAY before that, my deadline was March 1st.

Get used to getting your taxes finished EARLY! :)

Especially if your student hopes to receive federal work study dollars. They can go early.

Fill out the application now. FAFSA is a government application, not specific to any school.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Make sure to fill out the form at the link above. It's free - there are some sites out there that charge you to fill out the form so you want to stay away from those.

When you get to the end of the form, it will let you submit to a list of schools. Submit the form to all the ones where she "might" apply. It doesn't cost anything regardless of the number of schools. You can always modify the application to add more schools but it's better to have the application done.

Ds and soon to be dd's college just put up an announcement that it is best to do your taxes, file them (electronically is faster), then when you file your FAFSA you can select an option to pull your tax information into your FAFSA form. This verifies your information and is the preferred method of preparing your FAFSA.