Menu

Contact blurriness after a while of wearing?

I just got fitted for contacts last Monday and go back Monday to have them checked. Most of the time, they are fine, I can see now that my eyes are adjusted, but every now and then one eye or the other will get blurry like the contact has gunk on them. It gets annoying. Maybe it's the brand, I don't knoe, has anyone had this problem and how was it corrected? Thanks.

Phlox

Yes, this happens to me all the time, but usually it's after a few weeks and not a few days. If I remember right, my eye doc said it's a buildup of proteins on the lens. For me, it signals that it's time to throw out the old and get new contacts. Talk with your doc about it. He may recommend a cleaner, different lenses, or something along those lines. Sometimes cleaning helps, but if the buildup is too much, then there's not much to do about it other than change the lenses. At least that's been my experience.

Yes, this happens to me all the time, but usually it's after a few weeks and not a few days. If I remember right, my eye doc said it's a buildup of proteins on the lens. For me, it signals that it's time to throw out the old and get new contacts. Talk with your doc about it. He may recommend a cleaner, different lenses, or something along those lines. Sometimes cleaning helps, but if the buildup is too much, then there's not much to do about it other than change the lenses. At least that's been my experience.

:iagree: I had to go to daily wear contacts because of this.

It's usually a protein build-up thing. Clean them.

Sometimes my contacts get blurry because they've dried out. I just dump some saline solution or wetting drops into my eyes and blink a bit to clear it up. How many hours have you been wearing the contacts when you notice the problem? If it's late at night, it's usually a dryness thing for me; earlier in the day signals protein build-up.

I just got fitted for contacts last Monday and go back Monday to have them checked. Most of the time, they are fine, I can see now that my eyes are adjusted, but every now and then one eye or the other will get blurry like the contact has gunk on them. It gets annoying. Maybe it's the brand, I don't knoe, has anyone had this problem and how was it corrected? Thanks.

Phlox

It's not unusual - usually it just means you've been wearing them a little too long.

Be careful with contacts. They can do a lot of harm.

I agree that it's either protein build up, dryness, or even that it really is eye gunk floating across.

For protein build up, I highly recommend a hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner. I've used them for years--since 1997 or so. It'll make your lenses last longer too, so you don't have to throw them away early (or you can wear them longer, if you choose). Try Ciba's Clear Care or a comparable brand; there are store brand versions of it too. I use store brand now.

In my case, it was an allergic reaction. My eyes were reacting to the material of the contact lens. It was when Acuvue Oasys came out and my eye doctor prescribed them to me because they were supposed to be so great. He switched me to a different brand, made of a different material, and the problem went away. He said if I hadn't complained about it and had persisted in wearing the Oasys, I might have developed worse symptoms and might not be able to wear any type of contacts anymore.

I agree with pp, but also wanted to point out that it can be seasonal. I have trouble during the spring when the two or three things that give me trouble are blooming. Some days I take my contacts out and were my glasses, but I really do see better with contacts so I will frequently take out the contacts, rinse them with the solution, then put them right back in. I'm not sure I'd be willing to do that more than a few weeks out of the year though.