Menu

Swiss Family Robinson study guide?

Dd wants to do Swiss Family Robinson next year, but doesn't want another "who said what to whom when" type. We are looking for something that will cover more history and geography as well as literary themes and techniques.

The same is true for Around the World in 80 Days. Is there such a program for these 2 books?

For Around the World in 80 Days you may be interested in using Trail Guide to World Geography. That book is scheduled with mapping activities, vocabulary, research questions, etc from weeks 28 to weeks 36.

There are literature guides for Swiss Family Robinson from Total Language Plus, Veritas Press, and Progeny Press, although they probably would not focus on the geography aspect as much. Total Language Plus and Veritas Press also have guides for Around the World in 80 Days.

Edited by txhomemom

Dd wants to do Swiss Family Robinson next year, but doesn't want another "who said what to whom when" type. We are looking for something that will cover more history and geography as well as literary themes and techniques.

The same is true for Around the World in 80 Days. Is there such a program for these 2 books?

Another thought would be to get an annotated version. These would have sidebars that gloss specific terms like the animals, plants or shipboard items.

You could use those glosses as a jumping off point to do further study. Or you could do it yourself with a non annotated version, picking a couple plants or animals and one technique or process (ex, wine making or wine into vinegar) to study per chapter.

We have an older edition of Swiss Family Robinson. I'll have to find it to check the name of the series. They did a couple dozen classic works.

A more modern annotated series I like is The Whole Story. I'm not sure how many titles in this series are still in print, but they were a wonderful way to bridge into harder texts for readers who didn't have context and vocabulary reserves built up yet.

ETA: I found Around the World in 80 Days in a Whole Story edition.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)