Menu

If you use Wheelock's Latin, I have a few questions.

I understand that there are several editions and that I should use the latest edition, correct?

The third edition workbook goes with the sixth edition text? However there is a 7th edition book out.

I need help figuring out what to purchase. Please help! I am trying to use purchase our materials for next year and I just can't seem to figure this out. What am I missing?

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer this, but I'll give it a try.

My kids used the 6th edition with the workbook along with a tutor. The 38 Stories book was helpful for some additional translation, but not necessary. The workbook gives more in-depth practice. There are several extras that I bought, but never used.

They are currently in the Lukeion online class for Latin 1b, and the teacher required the 7th ed. Not sure why. For that class they don't use the workbooks.

Hopefully someone else w/more hands on experience will chime in.

Laura

Here's a description of what changed in the new edition.

If you might at any point in the future outsource Latin, you will probably want to get the 7th, as an outside teacher would likely require it.

I think the workbook would be fine with the new edition, as the chapters haven't changed, just the changes in formatting and the addition of more materials.

I understand that there are several editions and that I should use the latest edition, correct?

The third edition workbook goes with the sixth edition text? However there is a 7th edition book out.

The changes between 6th and 7th edition are very small. I'm told the 7th edition Kindle version has formatting issues, so if I were to buy 7ed, I'd get it in book format. If you plan to buy new, I'd get the 7th ed textbook and 3rd workbook. If you want to save money, I'd search abebooks or my local bookstore for used copy of the 6th ed. The "38 stories" text is a nice-to-have, if you are looking for more translation practice after each chapter. Whichever version you get, make sure to get a hold of the answer key, which I believe is only available electronically. It is free, but you need to bug the publisher to get it, and they often hassle homeschoolers who ask for it. This contains not just the correct answers, but some additional information about usage and common trip ups, so it really is quite valuable.

What you will need to figure out is how to teach memorization. There's a lot to memorize in first year Latin, and different people memorize best in different ways. Although you can buy Wheelock flash cards, if the student writes them out longhand themselves, they will learn better. There are also online flashcard programs you might want to investigate.

Did your child retain and enjoy Wheelock's or should I look at a different Latin program? Currently we are using Getting Started with Latin. My boys love it. I want domething yo use after GSwL. I like the looks of Wheelock's online. If not Wheelock's, then what? I admit I like the price as well....

My oldest daughter went through Wheelock. It provides solid instruction with no retention/mastery problems. In terms of whether she liked it, she didn't complain in the least about it. I will say, though, that when she saw the Latin for the New Millenium books I began using with her younger siblings, she said she wished they had been available for her.

Gratia, so you prefer LNM to Wheelock? Can you comment at all on level - who would this work for? I had assumed it was high school level, maybe late middle school - perhaps earlier with prior experience, etc.?

In a classical school, it would likely be used in middle school. It is used in some private schools during middle school, many public high schools and has replaced Wheelock at some colleges for intro studies.

If you have prior experience, it is easily doable during middle school. What I love about it (having drawn from Henle and Wheelock) is the integrated approach. In addition to its grammar focus, it provides meaningful reading and translation work from the outset, readings in culture and Roman history, idiomatic expressions, and conversational Latin. It makes my job as teacher so much easier!

I have successfully used the materials with younger students. Because all of my children study Greek also, I begin their Latin studies earlier. This way the path is not quite as rough during the middle school years. :001_smile:

ETA: Sorry to not answer your question. Yes, I prefer it to Wheelock. My children definitely prefer it! The format is attractive. This may be tangential to some people, but when you are teaching younger students format matters a lot! Actually, it matters to me at my age. My eldest wishes she could have used it in lieu of Wheelock. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Gratia271

Thank you, Gratia!! This is very helpful. I hadn't seen any reviews of LNM, but your opinion is particularly meaningful :001_smile:. So, it sounds like a bright middle-schooler who has had a small taste of Latin grammar (e.g., GSWL) might be able to use LNM. It's great that the format is more palatable than Wheelock. (At this point, I don't even think I'm hs-ing through middle school, but it can't hurt to delineate the options!! Certainly, dd's interest in Henle has been on the wane and we've slowed down quite a bit, though she's off to a school next year anyway, where her options will be Spanish or French)

No great authority here, but I would make sure the edition you choose works with the supplimentary book by Dale Grote. I found it invaluable for self study.

Bill

That is a good point! BC has a 2nd edition of Grote's book to match the 7th edition; just make sure to match the two books accordingly. :001_smile:

Can't help, I use an older edition but had to show you this.

http://www.ainself.net/irony/latin/ :D

Fun supplement for older kids

Glorius! I can use these to further aggravate my ds when we study Latin. (rubs hands together and laughs)

To add a note for Wheelock's. I had looked at is several times via the library and returned it without a desire to purchase. My biggest hindrance in using it before now was a good understanding of the ENGLISH grammar used to study Wheelock's.

It's nice to have an English grammar reference on hand as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish it were easier to just order what I need. At the moment it appears that I will have to order from more than one place and I am still trying to figure out which edition I need. :confused:

What other programs would you recommend?