Menu

Which Latin for Spalding WRTR lovers? The Next Step?

Hunter

For those of you who love WRTR, which Latin curriculum do you use next?

I read--I don't remember where--that Latin is the next step after intensive phonics. Okaaay...so which Latin?

I have a decent Latin background, and have studied quite a bit of Greek and a little Hebrew and bits of a few modern languages. I really liked Henle in the past, but no longer own any Latin materials.

I know how to refresh my own Latin, but I'm asking more about TEACHING Latin SPECIFICALLY to students that have used and thrived with WRTR.

There's a back story to Spalding and Latin Road, :-) part of it being that Barbara Beers was originally a Spalding user, and we lived in the same city as Mary Harrington, who started teaching Latin and our children were her guinea pigs. :-)

My recommendation would be Mary's Latin in the Christian Trivium.

Ellie, I took a quick look and may have missed it, is there a recommended age/ grade range available somewhere in their website for each level?

Ellie, I took a quick look and may have missed it, is there a recommended age/ grade range available somewhere in their website for each level?

It looks like on the homepage, just click scope and sequence where it tell you that 6-9th grade is the usual starting point for beginning Latin. It took me awhile to find it too!

We are currently using The Latin Road right now, but I find this Latin Trivium to be very enticing. We are moving very slowly through LR, we are only almost done with Ch 4. Im spending some time doing English stuff too, like in Shurley and such.

It looks like on the homepage, just click scope and sequence where it tell you that 6-9th grade is the usual starting point for beginning Latin. It took me awhile to find it too!

We are currently using The Latin Road right now, but I find this Latin Trivium to be very enticing. We are moving very slowly through LR, we are only almost done with Ch 4. Im spending some time doing English stuff too, like in Shurley and such.

Cool... thank you! That grade range works better with my plans! I think I will be taking a closer look ;). All-in-One LA programs don't work for us so I try to have separate programs to cover the different areas.

Thanks again :)!

This article Cultivating Realistic Goals for Foreign Language Study by William E. Linney, really touched home with me.

http://www.asliceofhomeschoolpie.com/2011/07/articles.html

I realized that my primary goal is to teach a student how LANGUAGES work. Going too far with ENGLISH doesn't work for me, and going too far with LATIN doesn't work for me either. I was swinging back and forth between these two poles and then would just quit for awhile, and question why I was teaching Latin at all.

I feel very grounded now, in what I want to accomplish. Now to find the right curriculum. I downloaded the Kindle Getting Started With Latin for now. $9.99 and free delivery and free audio is an amazing deal. My primary student right now is overwhelmed enough mastering handwriting and phonics, that this read aloud method is all she needs for now.

I want to teach her grammar and vocabulary using Latin, but don't want to go wild. The more I look at LR, I know it is far too much, of stuff she does not need.

I cannot find my Bluedorn book :-( It tells how to set up a Latin/Greek notebook. I know I want to add a grammar section to the spelling notebook, and would rather not have to reinvent the wheel or deforest a country.

Marie, you and I are never more than a day or two off the same page. It is a riot to me! :-)

Here is a free article that talks about the Bluedorn approach to creating a Latin Notebook. http://www.triviumpursuit.com/downloads/learning_latin_at_home_with_artes_latinae.pdf

Bluedorn's Homeschool Greek teaches the creation of a notebook and assumes no mastery of grammar, but teaches grammar by learning Greek and creating the notebook.

Teaching a child to read the NT, means only needing a small vocabulary, making it easy to teach with the reduced vocabulary method, allowing the student to concentrate on grammar.

I have studied far more greek in the past, than Latin. I'm thinking of going with Bluedorn's Greek. I used to have a lovely leather interlinear NT before my divorce. I really miss that book :-(

The student I wanted to immediately start Latin with got all creeped out about the SOUND of it, so that is a no go with HER at least, so I have no rush to immediately restart Latin. So...I don't know, I'm toying with the idea of Greek :-0

• 7 months later...
Here is a free article that talks about the Bluedorn approach to creating a Latin Notebook. http://www.triviumpursuit.com/downloads/learning_latin_at_home_with_artes_latinae.pdf

Bluedorn's Homeschool Greek teaches the creation of a notebook and assumes no mastery of grammar, but teaches grammar by learning Greek and creating the notebook.

Teaching a child to read the NT, means only needing a small vocabulary, making it easy to teach with the reduced vocabulary method, allowing the student to concentrate on grammar.

I have studied far more greek in the past, than Latin. I'm thinking of going with Bluedorn's Greek. I used to have a lovely leather interlinear NT before my divorce. I really miss that book :-(

The student I wanted to immediately start Latin with got all creeped out about the SOUND of it, so that is a no go with HER at least, so I have no rush to immediately restart Latin. So...I don't know, I'm toying with the idea of Greek :-0

I realize this is an old thread, but can you expand on the Greek notebook? We are starting Latin ones, and I'd love to here how the Greek one is laid out.