Menu

Science for a kid who

Nakia

wants to dissect everything they see? LOL! My middle dd (4th grade next year) loves anything to do with bodies, body parts, blood, animals, etc. I've posted about her wanting to dissect things, and I am going to buy her a dissection kit soon; I just haven't been able to yet. This kid can spend hours looking at homesciencetools.com :lol: She told me the other day that she wants to be surgeon when she grows up.

Anyway, I'm thinking about what to do for science for her next year. Any suggestions? I've considered just buying some kits, but I don't know which ones are good and worth the money. I'd like some that she can do herself, though I will definitely be close by. I love science, so I'm really excited about this (not the dissection part--EWWW!!)

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Nakia
for clarity

Is this your 11 or 8 year old? Now, as much as I don't like Apologia, we have been enjoying Human Anatomy and Physiology with the Notebooking Journal with my 9 and 11 yo. There are a lot of Try Its, Projects and Experiments that make the body come alive. We have mummified fruit, made a working lung from balloons and a gatorade bottle, fingerprinted, blood typed and used our sense of smell to taste and much more.

If you do get it, I highly recommend getting the supply kit from CBD. It has almost EVERYTHING you need!

We are going to do Science Fusion (a totally different approach since we are not young earth subscribers) when we finish Human Anatomy.

Jen

Sorry, should've been more clear. It's for my hands-on, dissecting, science-loving 8 (will be 9 tomorrow!) year old. :D

I will look at that Apologia book. My oldest did one of the elementary Apologia books a few years ago, and we were a little bored by it. The A&P one sounds fun though!

Thanks!!

The Human Anatomy and Physiology Apologia book and notebooks is the newest in the series and is harder than the other ones as well. My kids just love all the try-its, experiments and projects in HAP. We don't do the scripture copy work or the fascinating facts (which is like narration). But the kids love cutting pages and writing interesting facts about whatever system we are studying.

But we are going to use Science Fusion as soon as we are done with HAP.

We almost did a science curriculum just using Thames & Kosmos and a science encyclopedia or the Story of Science with the T&K Milestones kit, but Dh wanted the dc in a "real" science class so they can be ready for high school and college.

Jen

PS There are also some kits at Barnes and Noble that I have gotten with my teacher discount. There are some Grossology books and kits, as well.

When my boys were around that age I purchased a dissection kit, book on dissecting, and a container of specimens from Edmund Scientific (? I think but I cannot find the specimens on their website now...maybe another company still sells them?) Last year I went to the local butcher and got a cow heart for dd to dissect.

I'm was a biology major so I have as much fun as they do dissecting.

The Human Anatomy and Physiology Apologia book and notebooks is the newest in the series and is harder than the other ones as well. My kids just love all the try-its, experiments and projects in HAP. We don't do the scripture copy work or the fascinating facts (which is like narration). But the kids love cutting pages and writing interesting facts about whatever system we are studying.

I'm pretty sure there's a Junior Notebook for Apologia HAaP if the regular Notebook is too difficult.

I'm new here, but just read through TWTM and the recommendations for middle school biology looked so fun! Tons of dissection kits recommended. Honestly, I'd just go back to your book and order the things recommended. I bet a 4th grader could handle the easier stuff suggested for logic stage kids doing biology.