Menu

In case you've been following my history threads

I just wanted to let you know we have decided to go with Ancient history for Anna for next year (7th grade). She REALLY wants to study Ancients, and I want to foster her love of history and literature, so that was the most important determining factor. :D

So many of you have helped me on my threads and through pm that I wanted to update.

Now, I'm going to pick a spine, narrow down my literature list, and build my own curriculum. As always, I'm open to suggestions.

Blessings,

Nakia

I just wanted to let you know we have decided to go with Ancient history for Anna for next year (7th grade). She REALLY wants to study Ancients, and I want to foster her love of history and literature, so that was the most important determining factor. :D

So many of you have helped me on my threads and through pm that I wanted to update.

Now, I'm going to pick a spine, narrow down my literature list, and build my own curriculum. As always, I'm open to suggestions.

Blessings,

Nakia

Have you looked at SL G? What about Biblioplan? TOG?

:lol: Just kidding! I'm glad you made this decision, and it really does seem like a great one :001_smile:.

Have you looked at SL G? What about Biblioplan? TOG?

:lol: Just kidding! I'm glad you made this decision, and it really does seem like a great one :001_smile:.

Meanie!!! LOL!

Do you want a text book spine, a narrative spine or an encyclopedic spine? I can help if I know which one you are looking for.

Ummm...I really have no idea. I'm going to MamaT's house in a couple of weeks to see how she plans using a spine. I think she uses textbooks. I've looked at K12's Human Odyssey, Spielvogel's Human Odyssey, and MOH. I haven't seen them in person, just the samples online. I don't want anything boring. :D Thank you so much for your offer to help!!

All the best decisions are made at 3am, congratulations! :cheers2:

Definitely! 1:00-3:00 am is my best time!

dd1 will be using Ancient Civilizations and The Bible next year in 7th and I just recently found Ambleside Classical blog. she has a schedule posted for the entire year that ties this program in with the Usborne World History Encyclopedia, literature and biographies. I think the AC&TB looks great and was even more impressed once I got it in my hands and was able to read it for myself. Definitely not boring. She will outline and write her summaries per TWTM and pick and chose activities from AC&TB. I think it is going to be our best year yet.

My dd is using Patterns of Civilization, by Prentice Hall. You can split this book up into the 4 year cycle, but it is definitely doable in 2 years. I really like this text and found it online for $5. Used. I think I got it on Amazon. It is very well put together, and easy to assign, add extra Hx reading and literature. There are also lit suggestions, map work, etc.

This book works really well as a spine for middle school, early high school level.

Good luck, happy planning, and I am jealous that younget to hang out with MamaT.

dd1 will be using Ancient Civilizations and The Bible next year in 7th and I just recently found Ambleside Classical blog. she has a schedule posted for the entire year that ties this program in with the Usborne World History Encyclopedia, literature and biographies. I think the AC&TB looks great and was even more impressed once I got it in my hands and was able to read it for myself. Definitely not boring. She will outline and write her summaries per TWTM and pick and chose activities from AC&TB. I think it is going to be our best year yet.

Thank you for the suggestion!!

We're starting Ancients again in the fall too, having finally decided. We're going to use Oxford University Press' World in Ancient Times series, which we assume will take us more than one year, but we really like the way they are written!

Someone else recommended the Oxford books on another of my threads. I'll check them out. Thanks!!

My dd is using Patterns of Civilization, by Prentice Hall. You can split this book up into the 4 year cycle, but it is definitely doable in 2 years. I really like this text and found it online for $5. Used. I think I got it on Amazon. It is very well put together, and easy to assign, add extra Hx reading and literature. There are also lit suggestions, map work, etc.

This book works really well as a spine for middle school, early high school level.

Good luck, happy planning, and I am jealous that younget to hang out with MamaT.

I'll look for that one. Can't beat $5! :lol:

Thank you so much for your help! Your post on my other thread was awesome!! Wish you could hang out with us. MamaT is great! I just love her and her entire family!

We're doing ancients next year (5th grade) and using K12's Human Odyssey. I got the book the other day and LOVE it. I've already read about a quarter of it just for fun because it's so interesting. Indy is going to flip for it.

I'm seriously considering that book. Where did you order it from?

I'm seriously considering that book. Where did you order it from?

I bought it from Amazon. It was used and in "good" condition. Other than a few minor shelf dings to the cover it's in perfect shape, so I'd have rated it as "very good." It cost $16 plus shipping ($20 total). They currently have them from $25 and up, used. They have them used from $47, but for the price difference, I decided used was fine. Most of the sellers on Amazon offer a full refund if you're not happy with the condition.

I bought it from Amazon. It was used and in "good" condition. Other than a few minor shelf dings to the cover it's in perfect shape, so I'd have rated it as "very good." It cost $16 plus shipping ($20 total). They currently have them from $25 and up, used. They have them used from $47, but for the price difference, I decided used was fine. Most of the sellers on Amazon offer a full refund if you're not happy with the condition.

Great. Thank you. Can you tell me a little about the book as far as young earth/old earth? I know nothing about K12 or their religious slant (or lack thereof), but I have just heard so many great things about this book that it's high on my list of possible spines for next year.

Great. Thank you. Can you tell me a little about the book as far as young earth/old earth? I know nothing about K12 or their religious slant (or lack thereof), but I have just heard so many great things about this book that it's high on my list of possible spines for next year.

This book is secular. The first few pages review definitions that define history and how time is tracked, in addition to global elements, like latitude and longitude. The book then progresses from the Stone Age and early human migration, to the domestication of animals and early farming practices.

Religion is viewed from an outside POV and covers the religious and creation views of many cultures. Part 2 chapter 7 specifically discusses Abraham, the rise of Judaism, and lists the 10 commandments. The overall premise of part 2 chapter 7 expresses the role the Hebrews played with espousing monotheism, a radical shift from early pagan religious beliefs. This book is absolutely not YE nor does it discuss any pre-human life forms. I like the book quite a bit and see where it would be very easy to supplement.

Edited by Heathermomster

This book is secular. The first few pages review definitions that define history and how time is tracked, in addition to global elements, like latitude and longitude. The book then progresses from the Stone Age and early human migration, to the domestication of animals and early farming practices.

Religion is viewed from an outside POV and covers the religious and creation views of many cultures. Part 2 chapter 7 specifically discusses Abraham, the rise of Judaism, and lists the 10 commandments. The overall premise of part 2 chapter 7 expresses the role the Hebrews played with espousing monotheism, a radical shift from early pagan religious beliefs. This book is absolutely not YE nor does it discuss any pre-human life forms. I like the book quite a bit and see where it would be very easy to supplement.

Thank you for the info!!