Menu

World History spine

I'm looking for a World history spine (or books to use as a "spine") to cover Year 1-2000 (although if it doesn't cover the 1900's and up that's ok as we're doing SL core 300 the following year).

My son did Ancients in 8th grade but really wanted to do SL 100 and 300, so he did 100 this year. Next year I'd like to do an overview of WH, possibly combining parts of SL core 200...

What would you consider? My son is also not a very fast reader, but enjoys a history and looking at various sides of things.

I've looked at Notgrass, but it seems to gloss over some things and I wonder if it's enough time in some eras to get a decent understanding of them. I'd skip the first 10 lessons, so that would give me time to add in more SL stuff...

I'm considering Dorothy Mills books--Ancient Rome, Middle Ages, Ren & Ref--has anyone done these?

Other ideas?

Merry :-)

We are using this book for Core G&H (6&7) in SL. We like it and we have been able to discuss many things through the many 'thinking' questions the book provides. I got the TE for me as well. It's cheap enough used on Amazon that you can buy the SE and see if you like it and if not, repost it for sale or give it to someone. It covers a lot of material from early hominids (a few pages are used to discuss hominid evolution which is fine with me as I like for my kids to know of both sides of the 'how we got here' dicussion) to some challenges of today...we have enjoyed it so far.

Edited by CountryGirl2

• 1 month later...

I decided to go with Glencoe, and I see that there are assessments at the end of the chapters. But I don't see an answer key anywhere. Do you just make it up on your own, or is there an answer key somewhere (online or elsewhere)?

Hoping someone knows! Merry :-)

I decided to go with Glencoe, and I see that there are assessments at the end of the chapters. But I don't see an answer key anywhere. Do you just make it up on your own, or is there an answer key somewhere (online or elsewhere)?

Hoping someone knows! Merry :-)

My dh, the world history teacher, is my answer key! This looks like the TE for the copy I have.