Menu

Narration and review questions in SOTW

How do the review questions and narrations get handled in your house? (Particularly by children who can't write out the answers on their own.) Do you just have them answered orally, or write the answers out to keep in a notebook?

I can't decide. First I decided to write them out. Then I thought I'd just do them orally. Then I thought I'd use the narration as copywork. Now I'm back to thinking we'll do them orally.

Make up my mind for me! :D

We do oral. I really like it and I agree that my ds does enough writing in all the other subjects, and I just want history to be fun at this point. (This is not to say that I never assign a writing assignment from history.) There are some questions that one will remember and not the other and sometimes neither remember. But, then there are the questions that spark great conversations. I am really enjoying SOTW.

Edited by Guest

I would expect a first grader to do it orally, and I think that's what SWB intends. Listen to her lecture on teaching writing in the elementary years to get the big picture on that. You could write/type the narration and use one sentence of it as copywork.

I generally ask the questions to both kids and one will jump in with the answer. If I notice that one kid is giving all the answers, I might direct one or two specifically to the other kid. After answering the questions, I ask my first grader to give me a sentence about something he remembers from the passage (just like his WWE narrations). I write it in his notebook. My fourth grader writes her own narration (usually 4 sentences or so).