Menu

Evan-Moor Beginning Geography

We used this, ds just doing a page or two at a time (usually as I was making dinner).

He really liked it, and I liked that it was nearly no-prep. Be warned, however, that you do need to make some photocopies. I'd do all the photocopies in one sitting or you'll find your child asked to cut something out and paste it on the other side of the paper. Argh.

Emily

I'm going to be using this next year with my 1st grader. I plan on doing a page (plus or minus) twice a week. I bought the following to go along with it:

Kingfisher's Maps and Mapping

Me on the Map (Joan Sweeney, Annette Cable)

Where Do I Live? (Neil Chesanow)

Maps & Globes (Jack Knowlton, Harriet Barton)

Since it'll be our only Soc. Studies for next year, we'll also do some communities & neighborhoods stuff (courtesy of CLE), paper mache' towns (LOL ;)), etc. My 4 yr old will be tagging along, so it should be fun!

I'm going to be using this next year with my 1st grader. I plan on doing a page (plus or minus) twice a week. I bought the following to go along with it:

Kingfisher's Maps and Mapping

Me on the Map (Joan Sweeney, Annette Cable)

Where Do I Live? (Neil Chesanow)

Maps & Globes (Jack Knowlton, Harriet Barton)

Since it'll be our only Soc. Studies for next year, we'll also do some communities & neighborhoods stuff (courtesy of CLE), paper mache' towns (LOL ;)), etc. My 4 yr old will be tagging along, so it should be fun!

These are the exact books we bought to go along with it :001_smile: If you google Me on the Map there are some great activities to go along with the book. I'd love to know how to do a paper mache' town! Did you find a tutorial or did you come up with your own plan?

Oh, glad to hear I picked the good books, then. ;)

I'd love to know how to do a paper mache' town! Did you find a tutorial or did you come up with your own plan?

I have no plan (yet). :D

I just remember making one in early elementary and thinking it was soooo cool. I think we used small boxes & little milk cartons covered in paper mache' (then painted them).

Thanks for the tips re: Me on the Map! I haven't sat down and done my official plan for the year. I bet there's lots of good stuff out there! :)

Sorry to hijack, but how long does it take to work through the book? For a first grader? Is it a year's worth or more? I know that would depend on how you use it, but what would be an estimate?

We'll do this in the fall for first grade.

Just glancing at the table of contents, there are about 58 "lessons" total.

I plan on using around 2 a week (more or less, depending on what other activities/books we are using). I figure it works out about right for a 36 week year (we'll also not start this right away, but stagger it in after about a month of school).