Menu

If you had $ to spend on Kindy

joannqn

DS5 is loud and active. He doesn't really like being read to. He has little interest, outside doing Reading Eggs, in learning his letter sounds or how to read. He likes math and can count to 100 with 1-2 helps, has the basic idea of addition, is interested in time and money, etc. He's reluctant to do anything academic.

So, if you had a boy like that and $750 to spend on Kindergarten, what would you buy? The money can be spent on curricula, art/science supplies and kits, educational games and toys, and/or classes within the community (ie. martial arts, drawing, music).

Geesh- I probably could go on and on but one thing that always stands out for me is the microscope we got for my young girls. Dh was afraid they would be too young to appreciate it but BOY do they LOVE it and totally get it!

It was the My First Lab scope and we totally disregarded the age recommendation. :)

Jeweler's loupes would be fun to look at things with, if he's not ready for a microscope. I actually just got a used copy of The Private Eye and it has some good ideas. You can let him play with Miquon if you think he's ready, you can always play "store" to teach money, and I'd sign him up for some kind of physical activity. Soccer and swimming are good ones. Beginner science kits are fun and don't feel like "school". Since he's not interested and/or ready to read, I'd focus on science and art and teach him how to look closely, hypothesize and draw conclusions (and draw in general). It will serve him well in life.

I get money from my state so I can spend a little more once my kids are official. I didn't have it before I started with dd because of when her birthday is. I plan on getting Right Start math, AAS and AAR for ds. I will get HWOT with the chalk board and chalk bits and erasers and maybe the wooden letters but I am going to start with lower case when he is ready. For him I probably do a lot on the chalkboard before I move on to paper. I use reading bear with him right now. He really likes reading eggs.

Ooh, I'd have fun buying the more hands-on curriculum that are usually outside my budget!

All About Reading, All About Spelling

Right Start Math

Magic Schoolbus Science Kits

Entire Let's Read and Find Out science packages from Rainbow Resource

Grow a butterfly, grow a frog kits from homesciencetools.com

Handwriting Without Tears- complete with slate board and wooden letter pieces

GeoPuzzles

All the Classical Kids cd's

And probably more, but those are the first things that pop into my mind!

I could go on and on too. If he likes Reading Eggs he might like Time 4 Learning. My youngest likes Reading Eggs to and right now we are trialing Time 4 Learning for a month and she loves it too. We also like All About Spelling level 1. It teaches reading and spelling at the same time and is hands on.

We are in love with R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life. Very hands on. I'd purchase a membership to the zoo, the science center, and the speed museum. (Whatever you have in your area) I'm a techie (and so is my 5 yr old son) so if there were no museums in my area I'd buy an ipad and dl a bunch of apps. (I have an ipad and I have to steal it from the kids!)