Menu

Best Latin program for High school class setting?

I am hoping to get some recommendations for High School Latin. I tried CC a few years ago, and they used Henle Latin. That was way too boring and difficult for kids that never had Latin before.

I use Visual Latin for my younger kids and I wish there was something similar for high school.

I'm really liking Ecce Romani. I like that it has readings as well as exercises. It also has a good mix of Latin to English , English to Latin and Latin to Latin questions. The teacher guide discusses what is a priority in each lesson and what can be glossed over until future lessons. For ex words like qui, quis, quae are defined but not explained in the first few lessons.

Henle could be good but for a class I wonder if the bindings would hold up for more than one year's heavy use. They probably would need supplementing for students who are easily bored.

I'm also intrigued by Latin for Americans but haven't used it.

I am hoping to get some recommendations for High School Latin. I tried CC a few years ago, and they used Henle Latin. That was way too boring and difficult for kids that never had Latin before.

I use Visual Latin for my younger kids and I wish there was something similar for high school.

We have drawn from the following over the course of the past several years:

Henle, Wheelock, and LNM. Based on my experience teaching these to my children as well as to other students, I unequivocally recommend the Latin for the New Millenium series. It melds the different approaches to Latin study seamlessly and introduces reading and translation of the classics, albeit adapted versions, from the outset.