Menu

Did I seriously injure my knee?

Hi, All,

Last night, after a grueling flight home during which our over-tired 22 month-old had a screaming fit, I somehow hurt my knee. I stood up to pull my 8 month-old's car seat out of the seat next to me. It stuck, which I wasn't expecting, and sort of "pulled" me toward it. Then my knee "snapped" to the side. It went back to the front, but the pain was terrible. It made a noise when it turned. I could barely get off the plane. When I put all of my weight on it, my knee cap "slips" to one side or the other. It still hurts, especially when I bend my leg. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? I'll be seeing my family practitioner in a couple of hours, and I'm afraid of what she may say. I can't believe this happened. All I did was stand up. I just don't have time for this!

I have a wierd knee and my knee cap "slides" out of place once in a while - very painful. Is your knee swelling? Can you straighten your leg entirely straight? If you haven't straightened it completely yet, the knee cap may still be out of place. I always wear a knee brace from the drug store until my ligaments are strong enough to hold the cap in place again.

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr. because you don't want to mess around if you actually tore the miniscus or ACL. Hope it's nothing serious.

Janet, it's not swelling, but it really hurts when I try to straighten it. I'm hoping she'll just say that I need to wear a brace for awhile. I'm sorry you have to deal with knee problems on a regular basis!

Brindee, Thank You for praying--I need it!

Jennifer, LOL, I had the exact same thought--thank goodness it was the flight home!

You probably strained or tore one of your collateral ligaments, they attach femur to tibia on either side of your knee. I wrecked one of mine in '91 and it took about 3 months to be able to straighten my leg comfortably. It could be an ACL which is inside the knee joint but what your describing sounds more like a collateral. Ice, elevate, and ibuprofen first 48 hours. Your doc will probably order x-rays and maybe an MRI. Don't fret. I don't have any problems today and I play lots of different sports. It hurts like the dickens right now, I know, but it WILL be ok.

Soph

Thanks, everyone, my doctor thinks that my ligaments are still a bit loose from my last pregnancy and that I injured one of the lateral tendons(?) under the patella. It wasn't swollen earlier, but now it is along the outside of my leg. Earlene, she mentioned the ACL (hehe, I just typed ACK by mistake), but she doesn't think that anything is torn completely. I'm wearing a knee brace and going for physical therapy for a couple of weeks. She thinks that will fix it! I'm praying she's right.

I"m glad she doesnt' think it's anything too major - BUT, as someone who tore her ACL getting up off the couch (in a fancy move to not step on a barbie :glare:), i'd URGE you to get an MRI to make sure.

There is no sense doing PT if it's the wrong type of PT. And the PT is going to want to know what is wrong with it....

do you need a referral to see an Orthopedic? because that is what i'd suggest. Otherwise, i'd call the family doctor and ask for the MRI. Having had surgery on both knees, i'd just want to know.

I didn't have my ACL repaired - because the MRI results didn't show up until the morning of my surgery (we knew i needed it no matter what it showed - the insurance co required it), i was on a MAJOR time squeeze to get surgery in that week for a work issue. SO, the doctor and I covered everything BUT the ACL replacement. He didn't think i'd hosed it because of the motion that i had. He wasn't able to do the repair. I'm going 95% well - i still have a motion that hurts like...... if i step back with that heel onto something that is higher than the ground, i'll hurt for days (the other day - it was the 3yo's foot).

ANYWAY, i can relate to the don't have time for it (Heck, my BOSS was more concerned with my post-op report than my DH - he called me in the car on the way home from the surgicenter and cried for me when he heard it was my ACL), but if in a day or 2 you aren't loads better - get the MRI.

now, stay off it and rest!! (HA, with little ones..... i'm funny huh?)

Yep. Lateral collateral ligament would be it. The patella has its own tendon but it runs right down the middle. You'll be fine in 3-4 months. If it worsens get the MRI just to be sure there is not also ACL involvement or meniscal damage.

And be careful with side to side motion on that leg!

Sometimes I think humans would be soooo easy to treat, they can actually understand what you are saying! :lol:

Thanks, Tracey, I'll definitely be going back if I don't see improvement.

Soph, that's so funny about treating humans! I'm convinced that our 2 Goldens understand everything I say. Sometimes the just pretend to be clueless:) Thanks for your help.