Menu

x-post: If my children like The Magic of Reality, they will like...

momto2Cs

Oh, do I have one!

It is written on a somewhat higher level (and the literary style is phenomenal), but thanks to a gift from a board member who will not be named (OK, it was Moira :tongue_smilie:) I got a gift of a book called "Hard Road West."

What a strange and fascinating book it is thus far. It blends a fascinating study of geology and science, including cosmological elements (did you know we are made out of stardust?) with the story of the Gold Rush and the settlement of the West. It sounds like a super-weird mix, and it is. But what an amazingly weird mix it is!

I liked it so well I decided to make it a read aloud with my son. Because some of the ideas are pretty lofty it does require a good deal more discussion than our normal read-alouds to ensure he is fully getting the picture, but it is so worth it!

He has actually been "journaling" about the book as school homework and we get teacher's comments like, "Wow! You are reading this?!

Yes, we are :D

Top notch!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Strange iPad typos

Oh, do I have one!

It is written on a somewhat higher level (and the literary style is phenomenal), but thanks to a gift from a board member who will not be named (OK, it was Moira :tongue_smilie:) I got a gift of a book called "Hard Road West."

What a strange and fascinating book it is thus far. It blends a fascinating study of geology and science, including cosmological elements (did you know we are made out of stardust?) with the story of the Gold Rush and the settlement of the West. It sounds like a super-editor mix, and it is. But what an amazingly weird mix it is!

I liked it so well I decided to make it a read aloud with my son. Because some of the ideas are pretty lofty it does require a good deal more discussion than our normal read-alouds to ensure he is fully getting the picture, but it is so with it!

He has actually been "journaling" about the book as school homework and we get teacher's comments like, "Wow! You are reading this?!

Yes, we are :D

Top notch!

Bill

:D

That's fantastic. It's the best non-fiction I've read in the last couple years, and it'll be my go-to gift book for the next while.

I wonder where it's going next (don't tell me :D).

Bill

Get back to me when you and your son have finished Why Evolution is True. :D

I would love to find more science books written at about that level, on a variety of topics.

I'm "supposed" to be cleaning up a bit (self-imposed purgatory), but here's the first batch.

Russell Stannard:

Black Holes and Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert and the Quantum Quest

Time and Space of Uncle Albert

and the poetry book Space, Time Rhythm & Rhyme

Jay Hosler:

Clan Apis

The Sandwalk Adventures: An Adventure in Evolution Told in Five Chapters

Optical Allusions

Evolution: The Story of Life on Earth

ooh, I'll play! This kind of thing is my favorite.

Anything by these writers are wonderfully written, interesting science topics that also touch on history, art, psychology, etc. Written for adults but we've done portions of some of their stuff as read-alouds with my kids, just skipping any chapters that might be too "adult":

Mark Kurlansky

Mary Roach (my 6yo loved her book on space travel!)

Victoria Finlay

Simon Winchester

John McPhee

If you're interested in earth science topics I have a bunch of book lists on my blog for a variety of ages.

Edited by jar7709

My hold lists are overflowing - Thanks everybody!

Now how to find the time to read MORE to everybody in order to fit them all in. I'm thinking more processed foods, housecleaning gets dropped first, of course, more books on cd, waterproof editions for bathtime, maybe post a few pages a day across from the commode....