Menu

IXL How do you negotiate "smart score"

2GAboys

Signed up for the 30 day free trial of this since RightStart G bombed this year as our primary 5th grade curriculum. I can't figure out this smart score thing. It seems to take way too long to achieve a 100% smart score (mastery) in a single subtopic because they require a ton of practice problems. With 266 topics in 5th grade at, lets say 20 minutes per sub-topic, it would take 88 hours to complete the entire 5th grade with a smart score of 100. I'm thinking about having my dc move on after getting 5 in a row correct. How do you all use this?

Since I had to abandon RS (for now) as our primary 5th grade math curriculum, I've been alittle lost as to ensuring he gets the 5th grade content. We are continueing with LoF Fractions and Percents and Decimals as a supplement and dc completed the 5th grade on-line course in ALEKS during a free two-month trial. I thought IXL would be good to cement all the 5th grade skills but after two days and only "mastering" two out of the 266 skills. I guess this is how they get you to buy it after the trial.

Is the speed issue a connection speed issue or the child's time to do the problems? If connection speed try it at times when there is less traffic online, or from a computer where it can go faster.

If the problem is the child cannot go any faster, try going down a grade level or even two and see if she can get a smart score quickly, then move up in difficulty (or grade level) in that same type of problem, and see if that helps.

IXL is good for practice and review, but it doesn't generally teach how to do something. Possibly the slow speed could also mean that you have to take a look signing in as parent, to see what the problems entail, then teach the child what to do, and then allow practice on IXL.

And you don't need to do all the types of problems for every grade level. You can decide what you think needs to be mastered, or you can look at your own state's standards (or any other state who you like the standards of, for that matter).

I can't figure out this smart score thing. It seems to take way too long to achieve a 100% smart score (mastery) in a single subtopic because they require a ton of practice problems. With 266 topics in 5th grade at, lets say 20 minutes per sub-topic, it would take 88 hours to complete the entire 5th grade with a smart score of 100. .

Adding--it is calculated by an algorithm that takes into account the difficulty of the problems, number missed, and perhaps speed, and makes adjustments. What my son didn't like was when he would have a ribbon and it would get taken away for a wrong answer! He isn't doing 5th grade, but rarely has it taken more than just a few minutes to get 100 on smart scores.

OTOH, if you are using IXL as pretty much sole program, not just a review or for extra skills that might be missed in a spine program, etc., then 88 hours is not that long for a year of math schooling. Is it? 88 divided by one hour, 5days per week, such as a math class might be...17 or so weeks of math for mastering the grade level? Or do I need some math review myself?