Menu

Please help me choose a writing program

I have two very different learners. I would prefer to have them do the same writing program (at different levels).

I once purchased IEW TSS and watched the first video and returned it. I was looking into it for my oldest DS and it did not seem like a good fit. That said, with all of the people here who seem to love IEW I am looking at it again.

Oldest DS is very well read and it shows in his creative writing. However, he is overcome by the blank page when I assign him academic topics. I am hoping to give him a structure that will help him to know where to start while allowing him to use his creative voice. The problem I had with IEW TSS (remember, I only watched the first lesson, though) was the focus on dress-ups. He already writes with wonderful dress-ups and strong verbs. Does IEW TSS move beyond this emphasis and provide the structure I need for him without dictating the style? This DS says he wants to be a writer. I am even considering taking a year (or longer- he is only finishing 5th grade) to complete the One-Year Adventure Novel. Should I focus on that for awhile and simply tackle the academic writing a little at a time with key word outlines and rewrites?

Middle DS loves to follow rules and is just coming into his own with writing. He tends to tackle academic topics and creative writing topics equally. He is a beginning writer and I want to support his growth.

Please share your thoughts and help me make a decision!

There are a lot of people who love IEW, and some who don't. I have noticed a lot of positive comments about IEW lately. In the past I have seen many people commenting about their dislike for IEW. It may be a good choice for you, but I wanted to point out the ebbs and flows of the board. (Just watch, their will be a bazillion "BA does not work for me" threads over the next 6 mos:D)

To your actual question, I wonder if you have looked at Bravewriter? There is not a lot of structure to it, which may be a deal breaker for you, but it really helps a natural writer to get words down on paper. Even if you don't buy the program, reading about freewrites might be helpful.

Have you read all the wonderful articles archived on this site about writing? They are listed here at the bottom of the page under "writing". Or listened to the lectures from past conventions which you can download from Peace Hill Press?

I followed SWB's advice from the get-go, and, even though she doesn't advocate this, I NEVER used a writing program. Ever. And, I've produced two good writers. Copywork, dictation and narrations were all they needed to get started with formal academic writing. Logic helped them learn to formulate solid arguments, and did reading The Lively Art of Writing when they were in high school helped them develop good essay skills.

Your kids are not past the stage where they would benefit from dictation, but a narration or two a week would be terrific if you want writing that is directly related to their school work. I also had my kids research simple topics on-line, then write a summary of what they found (starting in middle school, I believe.) Doing narrations fixes the problem of facing the blank page with the daunting task of writing something IMPORTANT. Our discussions of what we were reading, whether in history, literature or science is what eventually led to essays. If my kids had a strong opinion I would start coaxing them to defend their position, often telling them to write it out as an essay. Not every day, but every week or two.

If your older ds is enjoying the one year adventure novel, then stick with it. Encourage them to write whatever they want to write, and little by little work on academic, formal writing skills by making it part of history or science. The slow-drip method really works wonders!

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have Bravewriter. We have tried the freewriting approach but it does not seem to help the way Juile explains it should- we still end up with frustration (his and mine!) Maybe I am doing ti wrong! I know I have not done it consistently and maybe that is the problem.

I am thinking of getting Writing Strands. I almost pushed purchase yesterday!

But then again I am drawn to the idea of teaching writing without a curriculum. My problem, I realize now, is that I want immediate results. It is good to hear that the steady and slow method works.

I have some thinking to do...

You may have seen this before, but posts #33 and 34 lay out how 8filltheheart teaches writing across curriculum. This really helped me see how it could be done.

I really hear you on the immediate results. My kids are younger, but I feel the same way. I tend to feel like what I'm doing isn't working and I should try something new. JennW, thanks for the reminder that slow and steady wins the race. I am so glad you pop in from time to time.:001_smile: I always appreciate your posts.

I have drawn from several programs with varying success. IEW is simply too formulaic for us. The program that all three of my children thoroughly enjoy is Classical Composition. I use it in tandem with SWB's programs. (I tweak things a lot. :001_smile:). They are all thriving with this approach.

I am debating the same issues now. I loved IEW when my oldest 2 were in level A co-op class. It made them excited about writing for the first time ever. I had only done copy work and some dictation before that as well as some FLL and Simply grammar.

I talked to the man from the One Year Adventure Novel at a convention to ask some questions, and he told me the program was for High School.

So, I just ordered How to Write a Story ( IEW) and plan on using the assignments in Omnibus 2 along with that. I think that will be enough since I want to focus more on grammar this summer ( making a notebook for basics) then I am not sure if we will use Fix it ( IEW ) or Shurley. I plan to ask about those two for more input.