Menu

Accountability

What do you do to instill accountability (preferably without losing your mind)?

When assignments are not completed on time, what do you do?

Right now we play wii one day/ week as a family. if work is not done or deadlines have not been met, the offender must sit out.

The problem I am having (aside from the difficulty of being the bad guy) is that I want my children to work hard and to finish their assignments because it is the right thing to do and to pursue excellence- not to avoid a punishment.

I am beginning to think this is a personality issue as one of my DS works diligently while the other avoids work.

However, I am not willing to let this go. I am determined to help him learn self-discipline.

We are in the middle school years, BTW, and I am working hard to tailor each of their educations to provide the appropriate challenges for their learning abilities.

Edited by Connections
(Change in title)

I'm with you - I don't want DS to finish work on time, be a cheerful learner, be a good listener, etc. just to avoid punishment. I desperately want to him to understand the glory of "a job well done" and have that be enough but I'm afraid at this stage of his life, it's not always this way!:banghead:

I am just going to do my best to keep being as consistent as possible. I most definitely have room for improvement on my part in the "positive reinforcement" area so I'm going to push for betterment here. Perhaps that will help???

I think it shows tremendous passion on your part as a mother to want integrity and accountability from your kids in every aspect of their lives. Keep up the good work, mom! :D

Funny this is out there right now, I'm wondering some of the same things.

It's going to take me a couple of days to figure out how to just approach this with our lifestyle.

I'm going to pick up a board game today at the thrift and redesign it with activities to win rewards or permissions. I think there's something to ignoring in a way the negative and instead, going overboard with recognition for positive behaviors.

It seems to me that this one does better with accomplishment rewards rather than punishment methods; but that's just this kid I suppose.

I don't know if this will work or not honestly - but I'm willing to try for 30 days to create some habit.

:lurk5:

DH and I have had this discussion recently. He was raised being held accountable by punishment; I was an average to very good student and my parents didn't really do anything to hold me accountable. I really want to figure out how to instill in my dc a great work ethic and a desire to excel.

:lurk5:

DH and I have had this discussion recently. He was raised being held accountable by punishment; I was an average to very good student and my parents didn't really do anything to hold me accountable. I really want to figure out how to instill in my dc a great work ethic and a desire to excel.

I want this too....I'm beginning to think it is (at least in large part) a personality thing. My oldest is not genetically inclined that way. It's hard.