Menu

Japanese for elementary kids

robsiew

We are likely moving to Japan within the next couple years. I'd like to get a little head start on language learning. I know the best way to learn a language is immersion and we'll get there... I just thought it would be good to have a little head start.

So, I found a thread on Japanese and was hoping maybe those who were involved in the thread might give me some feedback on what has worked well. Right now I'm contemplating Irasshai or The Learnables. I'm not crazy about Rosetta Stone. I think it's too expensive for what you get.

Are there other options that I should consider? We're planning on doing this as a family as we'll all need to learn Japanese! :D Our kids are ages 11, almost 10, 8 and 6. Thanks for any input!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Try the Tuttle book catalog as well, and I've seen some materials at the Japanese American National Museum here in Los Angeles as well as at local Japanese supermarkets. Any chance you're near SoCal? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas! Life got crazy for awhile and I couldn't get back here. I will check those ideas out! I know the best way for us to learn is to be there, but I'm hoping to at least get a little start now. It looks like we may take a visit there in Oct. so it would be great to be able to practice a little while we're there!