Menu

Right Start A Question

ItoLina

So my son and I are about 3/4 of the way through Right Start A and we both really enjoy it. However, today we did our first lesson with the calculator and he was completely frustrated using it and remembering all the steps to make it skip count. Honestly, I kind of felt like "What is the point of him learning to do this on the calculator?"

So my question: If I just of ignore the calculator and have him do the lessons without them are we going to be missing out on some critical thing that will be a problem later?

Thanks!

I totally know what you mean! I remember that, and really who uses a calculator that way? We are just starting C, and I can't really remember how often the calculater was used in A and B, but it was not very much at all. If it is frustrating just move on.

We are almost done with A. There were no other references to the calculator in that level. I just helped my dd with using it and we moved on. My dd enjoyed playing with it but that was it. I'm not worrying about it too much. It seemed insignificant and just used as another way to illustrate the lesson.

If they like it and don't cry when you bring the book out, you will be way ahead of the game.

This is why I really like Right Start. My son begs for "More Math!" This week I tried to take a week off (because I needed it) and my son said "OK, but we are still going to do math right?" So that is the only thing we are doing this week.