Menu

when does it get better (reading)

momma aimee

DS1 is 6 and 4 months. he is basically DONE with Kindy and starting first grade, honestly he has been doing 'first grade math' for time now.

he can decode 3 and 4 letter words; he gets blends, he gets a vs an and slient e.

but he can't seem to make the jump from "decoding work by word" to reading.

Part of it, he does better the more quickly (ie not fiddling) he goes. word, word, word is better than wordr.....word.....word (of course). but he doesn't love it so it is a struggle to keep him going, he'll tray to wander off mid 3 or 4 word sentence (the fat cat pulled the mat).

so when does his ability to decode most of grade level words, turn in to an ability to read?

It sounds like he needs some fluency training - there are multiple ways of teaching fluency though most of them revolve around repeated readings of the same text - take something that is fairly easy for him to decode and get him to read it every day for a few days - or else read it four times in a row each time a bit faster and more fluently with expression.

With my daughter I got her to read nursery rhymes as the rhythm in the nursery rhymes encourages fluent reading. My DH didn't believe she was reading them when we finished since she was so fluent - he got her to read some of the harder individual words to him out of context and she showed she did know them. You can do the same thing with songs and any piece that flows.

For fluency training you should always use passages that are below a challenge reading level - they should be quite easy. Also using text that has direct speech in it helps greatly - especially when the sentences can be whispered or shouted or read with extreme expression.

I second lots of practice. My dd was exactly in your son's position and she's now middle of Gr 2 and I can now for the first time say that she's reading fluently. There still are some stops and starts, but for the most part, she's not sounding every single word anymore and she is also keeping her focus on her reading. So, it does get better, it just might take a while.

I feel your pain with my son who is 7 and 2 months. We have been making s.l.o.w. progress for the past, oh, forever, but still the reading is often halting and lacks confidence and he still stumbles on simple words. With my daughter, it wasn't until about 1/2 way through second grade that it really clicked, so I am trying to be positive and patient with my son. He is a perfectionist to the core, so I think that as he continues to gain confidence, he'll do better and better. Slow and steady wins the race...I hope!

Practice, practice, practice. What seems to have helped my DS7 was two separate reading times each day - once for 20 minutes in the afternoon, then repeating the same things he read earlier again, for a 20 minute reading session. All totaled he did an hour a day with 20 more minutes in the morning working on review of blends, digraphs, etc. and workbook pages.

Motivation is huge. I wouldn't want to read about a fat cat on a mat either. Try reading him an easy but really exciting book, then excuse yourself at a good part and leave the room. Maybe he'll push through that hurdle!

i'd love to -- but i can not find any that he can handle the text of. all the leveled reader still seem to have too hard words for his level

??

This might seem like a strange suggestion, but is there anyone that can take turns reading with him besides you? My daughter used to get sick of me trying to help her, but would sit down with her grandmother and work harder than she ever would for me. :001_smile:

i'd love to -- but i can not find any that he can handle the text of. all the leveled reader still seem to have too hard words for his level

??

I See Sam:

http://www.marriottmd.com/sam/index.html

The pictures are entertaining if the text is not.

Blend Phonics books. I did the best I could with limited words. Still boring, I'm no Dr. Suess, but a step up from a fat cat once you get through the first few. You may have to help with the syllable division, by book 17 when I add syllable division the stories get bearable:

http://donpotter.net/pdf_files/bplitebooks.pdf

I just want to throw in a plug for Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways. Phonic Pathways throws in TONS of review to aid with fluency. Reading Pathways works on fluency. I have not purchased the Reading Pathways yet but it will be our next step after phonics pathways to continue on our road to fluency :)

Also, my girls are doing great fluency wise with the progression of BOB books. They gradually get longer.

We got this: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Poems-Strategies-Building-Fluency/dp/0439438306/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331906222&sr=1-1 and it has helped a lot. We got the book a grade level behind, and the words are very easy to decode and many lines repeat. This has helped boost DD8 confidence so much! There are great tips for building fluency in the front of the books too.

I See Sam:

http://www.marriottmd.com/sam/index.html

The pictures are entertaining if the text is not.

Blend Phonics books. I did the best I could with limited words. Still boring, I'm no Dr. Suess, but a step up from a fat cat once you get through the first few. You may have to help with the syllable division, by book 17 when I add syllable division the stories get bearable:

http://donpotter.net/pdf_files/bplitebooks.pdf

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D