Menu

Comics for beginning readers?

Ariston

Anyone have any recommendations for a comic book for a struggling 7 year old boy? He loves superheroes, fighting, all the boy things.

He can read at a 1st/2nd grade level albeit slowly. My husband suggested getting him comics, but I need something with an appropriate font and font size for a 7 year old. :confused:

Elena

Calvin and Hobbes are a huge hit here. Also, you can get Redwall and a few other similar books in graphic novel form. The Fantastic 4 comics have been OK. You have to be careful, IMO, of the comics though as often they have darker or more adult themes than the same super heros have in the cartoons. Scrooge, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and the crew still have comic books out as well- often in the actual book format.

They have a lot of comic books for emerging readers. They have different authors so they are all different. I've liked most of them and my dc have liked all the ones we found at the library.

Also, our library has a bunch of superhero books in the "I Can Read" section of the early readers (same at bookstores).

Garfield has the easiest-to-read font and caption bubbles, and easiest words, imo. The writing is all in caps. There are not a lot of words on the page.

I censor some pages that I think are unkind, but my son doesn't notice. I tell him I am picking out really funny ones.

Some Pokemon and some Avatar comics are easier.

The super-hero comics available at our library tend to be a little bit too hard for my son still.

There is a section in the children's area (not the teen area, which has even more) and I just pick up books and flip through them.

Baby Mouse (I think it is called) and one with a hamster are both easier, too, but above my son's interest level -- they have a different kind of humor he is not getting yet.

Edited by Lecka

I went to a comic store in the area and asked them which ones would be ok for my then ds6. I really think those are what got ds reading so much! He was motivated to figure it out and even when he could not, he could look at the pictures and see kinda what was going on. We just let him do what he wanted with them and he would pour over those books. Once he was reading those pretty well he loved (and still does) Calvin and Hobbes.

Owly is a wordless comic book - might be good for getting a child used to the comic book format. There's a bunch of theses but I've only "read" the first one.

Benny and Penny is a very easy comic book. I think there's 3 of them? DD and I read "The Big No No" a couple years ago.