Menu

Smelly furniture?

I recently got a glider that was my grandmother's when she died. It's very nice and in great shape. I'm planning on putting it in what's going to be our nursery but there's a problem. Grandma was a smoker and the cushions on it reak. I don't want that smell anywhere near my baby so what do I do? We've tried leaving the cushions outside for a few days but they still smell. I really want to make this work because I love the idea of rocking a baby in my dear grandmother's glider but there's the smell. Ugh. How do I fix this?

Edited by aggieamy

Could you perhaps put the cushions somewhere, sprinkle them quite liberally with baking soda, and let them sit for a good while before vacuuming the baking soda off? That might work.

Or else, you could try something like Febreeze. I'd prefer to go more natural with the baking soda, but if it didn't work, I'd try Febreeze or something similar in order to keep something sentimental like that.

BTW, that's very sweet. :)

New cushions. Joann's sells foam, cut to order. If you sew you can make a simple envelope-style cover, or find someone who can make one for you. It's a lot of work to remove the smell, and if the fabric is synthetic it is even harder. Better to put the time and money into new cushions.

Are you sure it's just the cushions? Smoke permeates wood furniture and it's really tough to get out. As in it can last for years. My husband had a curio cabinet from his grandmother that still had traces of smoke smell after a decade.

Anything you clean with or spray on will just be a bandaid solution. Your best hope is to have it professionally stripped, refinish it by someone else than mom-to-be, plus replace any upholstery and/or cushions.

Are you sure it's just the cushions? Smoke permeates wood furniture and it's really tough to get out. As in it can last for years. My husband had a curio cabinet from his grandmother that still had traces of smoke smell after a decade.

Anything you clean with or spray on will just be a bandaid solution. Your best hope is to have it professionally stripped, refinish it by someone else than mom-to-be, plus replace any upholstery and/or cushions.

I agree. We bought a house from a smoker and the only way we got rid of the smell was to paint over every wall, the ceiling, even polyurethane the subflooring. There was one small closet we never got around to painting and every time we opened it we got hit in the face with the stale smoke smell.

I vote for refinishing the chair and getting new cushions. This is what I would have to do as the smoke smell would burn my sinuses.