Menu

Dry beans????

Just curious...how do you make yours? How do you serve them?

Just looking for other yummy ways to have them. I typically soak them overnight, then put them in my crock-pot the next morning with salt, pepper, & garlic powder. I serve them over rice with cheese & sour cream on top. My family wouldn't be very happy with me if I just gave them a plain bowl of beans! :tongue_smilie:

I soak mine overnight and cook on the stove on low all day. I season with pressed garlic (about 5 cloves for a big pot) and pepper. I add chopped kale and sausage when the beans are soft. I don't use salt because we get enough from the sausage. I top each bowl with avocado and serve with cornbread. My family loves this meal.

I usually put them in water in the microwave for 10 minutes first--I usually don't plan enough ahead of time.

Then into the crock pot with a vegetarian bouillon cube and garlic. It is really good when you add a can of chopped tomatoes and sliced mushrooms. Serve on rice with salsa on side.

I do that too but I cook them in chicken broth and onions. Lots of cornbread.

That's what I forgot...the chicken broth! I usually add that too.

Thanks. : ) It works equally as well with either pinto or white beans. I think black beans could also work.

Oh, I bet the white beans are good!! Can't wait to try this!

I usually put them in water in the microwave for 10 minutes first--I usually don't plan enough ahead of time.

Then into the crock pot with a vegetarian bouillon cube and garlic. It is really good when you add a can of chopped tomatoes and sliced mushrooms. Serve on rice with salsa on side.

Mmmm, that sounds so yummy, too!! Good thing it's dinner time here...I'm getting hungry now!! :D

Usually I use a crockpot an serve with rice or put them in soup. I really like sprouted beans in salads though! Something different to use up the dried beans in summer. Usually I soak for 6 hours then rinse and drain. Then rinse and drain every 8 hours or so until they get tiny tails. Yum!

I typically do the quick-soak method -- bring the beans and water to a boil, boil for two minutes, remove from heat, and cover. Let sit for an hour, and then boil gently until soft.

chickpeas -- curried with broccoli, sweet potatoes, and coconut milk; just hot with salt and pepper as part of a lunch meal/snack; roasted

kidney beans -- minestrone soup; as red beans and rice; chili

pinto or black beans -- refried beans

black beans -- stuffed into peppers or enchiladas; black bean soup

great northern beans -- with rigatoni, spinach, and tomatoes

Edited by happypamama

Fryup a little bacon. Use the grease to fry a dash of flour then add a thin layer of water in the pan, making a little flour gravy. Add a thick layer of cooked beans. Smoosh & flip... Smoosh & flip... Smoosh & flip. Until the refried beans no longer stick to the bottom. Then they're done.

We crockpot most of ours and rotate between baked beans with cornbread, red beans and rice, and black-eyed peas with cornbread. We try to have a bean dinner once a week. Lately we've been experimenting with felafel too, just to shake things up. :)

I soak mine overnight, then rinse and put them in the crockpot with fresh water and seasonings (salt,pepper, a lot of cumin, coriander, a little cayenne pepper plus either fresh onion and garlic or onion and garlic powder if I'm rushed ). We eat them in wraps as burritos essentially - add cheese and onion, diced tomatoes and avocado (if we have it). A couple of the kids douse theirs in Red Hot sauce. This is kind of a basic meal at our house, the kids love it and will eat it for lunch or whenever. Sometimes as a snack. Oh - and I'm referring to pinto beans.

Chili (both red & white), soups, tacos, burritos. Really anything I used to use canned beans for. :D

Oh, and Hoppin' John is a new favorite around here. Tried it for the first time in February, and everyone loved it.

I also recently started sprouting my beans before cooking them (soak overnight, then put in colander. Rinse 2x/day until tiny sprouts are visible, then cook as normal.) It takes extra planning (which is why I pretty much always have something soaking or sprouting these days!) but takes care of the, um, *side effects* of beans. ;)

Post #27 in this thread describes how I cook them. I think I forgot to add cumin (around the time of adding garlic. :001_smile:

There's also a few other recipes we eat with the beans.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181246&highlight=mexican

I've been cooking a dish called Gallo Pinto for breakfast. It uses black beans and white rice as the base. It's a great way to start the day. Here's a basic recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/gallo-pinto-costa-rican-rice-and-beans-78747.

currently I use dry beans for only one "dish" that I make-I soak them and add to a crockpot and let cook until almost done--I then chop up turkey kelbasa or ham and add in--I let them cook a few hours and then serve with cornbread (sometimes) or just plain--has become a staple for the guys here....

With chickpeas, we usually do something Indian inspired, but sometimes it's hummus or falafel.

The favorite chickpea recipe around here is channa masala.

I use black beans almost the way omniores use ground beef. I put them in tacos and burritos, make soup, etc.

With pintos, it's usually baked beans.

I use kidney beans primarily for chili.

Lentils become dal or soup or sloppy Joe-type stuff.

If I soak the pinto beans the night before, then place them in a crock pot with fresh water and seasoning the next morning, how much water do I add to the crock pot?

This is for the mexican style beans and I will server them as a side dish. Not planning on mashing them for refried beans.

Do you have a recipe for this? I'm not sure how to curry. :001_smile:

Honestly, I usually just throw in a bunch of ingredients and hope it comes out okay. :) It's kind of a mashup of a few recipes from my Indian cookbook (which I can't find on Amazon, but it's a super basic one, though it has some pretty good recipes). I cook the chickpeas separately, and I might saute an onion and maybe some garlic in a pan, and then I add some frozen broccoli (or cauliflower). Then I add some diced sweet potatoes and some water or chicken broth, and I let it all simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft. If there's too much liquid, I let it boil off, and then I add the chickpeas (drained) and some curry powder, and then some coconut milk at the end, just heated through. Not very scientific (or probably very authentic), but it is pretty good.

This recipe looks good, though I've not tried it, and the collection of spices looks pretty similar to what my Indian cookbook lists for some curries: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moroccan-chickpea-stew/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe%20Search%20Results

I cook up about 3lbs of pinto beans almost every week. I always use the quick soak method. Then I replace the water, throw in a chopped onion and about 3-4 strips of bacon, and cook on medium for about three hours. I replace water as needed with the goal of letting the water run down a bit (so there's not too much) and get thick and soupy. I add salt to the end of the cooking. I usually serve these over rice with seasoned chicken, guacamole, and salsa. When we ate dairy, we also had cheddar cheese and sour cream with them. The second day, I reheat them on the stove and use them for burritos, bean/rice bowls again, or taco salads. The third day I reheat them, they are usually mushy enough to pass for refried. Sometimes, I go ahead and mash them in the pot on day 1.

I use a mixture of kidney beans, red beans, and black beans in chili.

Navy bean soup...I just follow the basic recipe on the bag...basically chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, a ham hock, and seasonings.

Crockpot Black-eyed pea soup using a nice spicy Italian sausage

Calico Beans and Cornbread

Monterey Beans with Rice

Mexican Chili Beans with Rice (or cornbread)

Modified Egyptian Kusherie (Lentils)

All from the More With Less Cookbook. My kids are not thrilled, but dh and I have thought that all of the bean recipes we've tried from More with Less have been very tasty. I keep hoping they'll get over it the more we have them. More with Less has become my budget saving grace since dh took a cut in pay. Oodles of beans ideas to try!

I like JoAnn's idea of a multi day bean pot, though. I'm going to have to give it a try!

I like JoAnn's idea of a multi day bean pot, though. I'm going to have to give it a try!

Thought I'd add...I use a slotted spoon to serve the first day or two if they aren't mashed. Sometimes I have to ladle out extra liquid before I mash them on day 2 or 3 if I didn't let it boil down low enough when I first cooked them. I also store them right in the pot in the fridge. I had to get a second large soup pot for when my first one is occupied. :D

We had day 3 tonight. Because DH and DS10 weren't home yesterday, I put the little bit left into tupperware for someone's lunch tomorrow.